Just Joined

alanc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Tax Returns

Hi all,

me-uk, k1 visa
wife-us
married last week in us

We're about to file for my AOS.
For the affidavit of support, I-864, do USCIS require my wifes last 3 years tax returns, before my AOS can be approved?

Just wondering....as she has a full time, well paid, permanent job at present, tax deducted at source. The two years before that, she lived from trust fund money and didn't work.

I heard that the IRS use this method to catch people out who haven't filed tax returns. Do we therefore just put on the form - No tax returns filed, living from fund income?)

Thanks,

Al
Old Oct 8th 2005, 9:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Tax Returns

Originally Posted by alanc
Do we therefore just put on the form - No tax returns filed, living from fund income?)

Thanks,

Al
Yes. Indicate her current income by providing letter of employment and pay stubs. Write your note about not having filed taxes, and attach it to the I-864. Include assets if she has any. Be prepared to have a joint sponsor *just in case* USCIS does not accept her I-864 as it stands.

I have seen cases where USCIS does base eligibility on the big picture, including previous income history, although it's her current income that is most important.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:26 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. Indicate her current income by providing letter of employment and pay stubs. Write your note about not having filed taxes, and attach it to the I-864. Include assets if she has any. Be prepared to have a joint sponsor *just in case* USCIS does not accept her I-864 as it stands.

I have seen cases where USCIS does base eligibility on the big picture, including previous income history, although it's her current income that is most important.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hey Reneeee, I got a question that has just come to mind after reading this post... the USC spouse is obviously the main sponsor, and in some cases people use a co-sponsor in order to meet the requirement. Does USCIS still require tax returns from both the US spouse and the co-sponsor, even if the co-sponsor will be the main/only source of achieving the 125% requirement?

~S~
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seanus
Hey Reneeee, I got a question that has just come to mind after reading this post... the USC spouse is obviously the main sponsor, and in some cases people use a co-sponsor in order to meet the requirement. Does USCIS still require tax returns from both the US spouse and the co-sponsor, even if the co-sponsor will be the main/only source of achieving the 125% requirement?

~S~
Hi Sean,

Yes, the sponsor (the spouse) should provide as much backup as possible (letter of employment, pay stubs, tax returns) as possible, even if they don't meet the 125%. The joint sponsor will also provide all the same backup.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seanus

~S~
Seanus, step over here so I can shmack you, please

Joint Sponsor.
There is no "co" sponsor.
Thanks!

The past 3 years' tax returns are one requirement.
Sufficient income is another requirement.
One is not dependant on the other. Since Sponsors complete an I-864, even with insufficient income, they must still provide the other documentation required.
IE: Yes, all Sponsors submit the past 3 years' returns, or a valid explanation of their absence.
xxx
Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Seanus, step over here so I can shmack you, please

Joint Sponsor.
There is no "co" sponsor.
Thanks!

The past 3 years' tax returns are one requirement.
Sufficient income is another requirement.
One is not dependant on the other. Since Sponsors complete an I-864, even with insufficient income, they must still provide the other documentation required.
IE: Yes, all Sponsors submit the past 3 years' returns, or a valid explanation of their absence.
xxx
Also note that joint sponsors must include proof of US citizenship and/or legal US residency.