Proof of relationship

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice
Default Proof of relationship

Ok, I think we're going to go for the fiance visa method of getting me into the States.

I am aware that we will have to prove an on going and real relationship, which I don't think will be any problem to prove, because it is true.

Won't be able to start proceedings until we're both divorced, but I am already putting together a file of information showing that our relationship is real.

We spend most of the time on the phone, but I cannot get an itemised bill because it is a VOIP call and my ISP does not provide those details. So I have my bill which does show x hours to America, although not the number.

I've also copied and pasted all our facebook and skype instant messaging chats into Word documents. I don't really want to show immigration these chats because they are so personal, plus by the time we start the process, I dare say there'll be 100's of pages. So how do you best display the instant messaging part of the relationship?

And any other tips to bear in mind?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of relationship

You don't actually need to show proof of ongoing relationship until you attend the K-1 interview, so you've got some time to come up with things. We used copies of phone bills, photos together, and a few cards and notes we sent to each other. We were not online at all, so had nothing to show for that, and it was not a problem. You definitely shouldn't show all those messages, just pick a handful by the time the K-1 interview comes around, which show that you guys were in touch regularly over some time. Be careful of any message that might say "wife" or "husband", as some people refer to each other as spouse rather than fiance, even before marriage. Do not include anything like that.

To accompany the I-129F, you will need to prove that you met in person within the past 2 years, so for now just focus on gathering that proof, so it will be ready to send off with the I-129F. We included copies of boarding passes, copies of passport stamps, and photos together.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Thanks Rene, you are a star.

I guess by the time we start this, we will have met three times.

I told her today to expect lots of photos to be taken of us this summer (she hates having her pic taken).
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking back, my attorney at the time advised me to include a few pieces of ongoing relationship evidence with the I-129F although it wasn't required.

I included copies of phone bills and a copy of a couple of notes we had written to each other.

You don't need to go overboard on this kind of thing, really. Just a sampling of how you guys keep in touch is fine.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:17 pm

By the time I submitted the I-129F, we had met 3 times in person also. I included evidence of all 3 in-person meetings.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Is it worth using an attorney? Or is it pretty much easy enough to do without?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by blargins
Is it worth using an attorney? Or is it pretty much easy enough to do without?
If you don't have any known issues, such as criminal history, previous overstays, etc....it's easy enough to do on your own. You have to be patient, pay attention to detail, be able to follow written instructions, and be well-organized.

I started out with an attorney because I had no clue how to get started bringing my man here. I hired an attorney, but all she did was file the I-129F. While waiting for that to be approved, I found this forum, and realized I can do all this paperwork myself and save the cost of a lawyer. I did the rest of the process on my own, and my husband just became a USC last year, so I guess I did it right.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like you did good

My girl wants me to see a lawyer when I go out this summer, so I will just to please her, and it'd be good for her to be able to see what's involved too.

But as I've been through a similar thing in getting into Australia, I do feel confident in undertaking it myself. I don't think it's rocket science, is it? I have no issues in my past, am healthy, so I think my case should be pretty straight forward.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:32 pm

My girl wants me to see a lawyer when I go out this summer, so I will just to please her, and it'd be good for her to be able to see what's involved too.
It's not a bad idea to have a consultation, especially since she's the one who will be initiating the process, she should know what it all entails.

But as I've been through a similar thing in getting into Australia, I do feel confident in undertaking it myself. I don't think it's rocket science, is it? I have no issues in my past, am healthy, so I think my case should be pretty straight forward.
I'm no rocket scientist, but I found it straightforward. Of course this forum was a HUGE help to me, and that's why I'm here, paying back.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, that's my feeling too.

I'm very untrusting of so called professionals, often the job you do for yourself is much better than allowing someone else to do it for you.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's my feeling too.

I'm very untrusting of so called professionals, often the job you do for yourself is much better than allowing someone else to do it for you.
Keep in mind that much of what we on the forums learned, came from so called professionals. There are good ones out there, who bother to explain the system. In fact, many good professionals have told couples, after a free or low-cost consultation, 'there is no reason you can't do your case yourself; you don't need to hire me.'

Whether or not someone hires a lawyer to 'do' their case, the applicants should know the processes and keep tabs on it; they are much more invested in the outcome.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Good points meauxna.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I've also copied and pasted all our facebook and skype instant messaging chats into Word documents. I don't really want to show immigration these chats because they are so personal, plus by the time we start the process, I dare say there'll be 100's of pages. So how do you best display the instant messaging part of the relationship?
Don't? My wife and I spent time every night trading e-mails or IMs, but didn't document that stuff.

You are right to be cautious with the personal content of such correspondance. Even with careful editing, there could be things in there that could be misunderstood by a 3rd party who's reading it with a different point of view from what you and your fiancee had in mind when you wrote it. Some people got themselves in trouble that way.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Don't? My wife and I spent time every night trading e-mails or IMs, but didn't document that stuff.

You are right to be cautious with the personal content of such correspondance. Even with careful editing, there could be things in there that could be misunderstood by a 3rd party who's reading it with a different point of view from what you and your fiancee had in mind when you wrote it. Some people got themselves in trouble that way.
I have read somewhere that things like this may be censored by the couple to save embarassment.... is this true?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I have read somewhere that things like this may be censored by the couple to save embarassment.... is this true?
If you're going to include things like IMs or emails or chat logs, I would choose a conversation that does not need censoring or editing. Just a few simple short conversations, spread over time, to show that you guys are in touch.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.