Reload this Page >

Processing Times for DS-260

Processing Times for DS-260

Old Jan 26th 2019, 10:49 am
Just Joined

alidbetter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Processing Times for DS-260

Hello,

I am currently in the process of moving to the US from the UK. My wife is a US citizen and we live in London together. At the end of 2018 I submitted my I-130 and it was approved. I was then sent 2 letters (one from the USCIS and one from the US Embassy in London) informing me to fill out the DS-260 form online, which I have done and submitted. The letter I got from the US Embassy said to disregard any references to sending documents to the NVC, so although the confirmation page for the DS-260 said to send all supporting documents to the NVC, I've not done that since the letter from the embassy said not to (my case number starts with LDN).

My questions are this:

Am I right to have not sent any documents to the NVC? All of the information I have read says that I should just bring all documents with me to the interview.

How long from submitting the DS-260 form will I get confirmation that the embassy has received it and I can schedule my medical and visa interview? I only submitted it last week, but of course it can be stressful because we want to plan our lives! Will the government shutdown affect the processing times?

Thanks for any information you guys have!

Adam
Old Jan 26th 2019, 11:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processing Times for DS-260

Correct, when the I-130 is sent directly to London, the NVC is not involved. Take everything to the interview.

I don't think you need to wait to schedule the medical exam. If you have your LND case number and your ACRO police certificate, you can go ahead and get the medical done.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2019, 11:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The shutdown probably won't affect your timeline. USCIS isn't paid by government funds.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2019, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Hi Rene,

Thanks so much for the reply! Ok that's good to know. I do need to wait for a reply from the Embassy to schedule my visa interview though, right?

Adam
Old Jan 26th 2019, 11:29 am

To be honest, I'm not sure on that point. I'm sure someone will come along with the answer, though.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2019, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Following on from Rene we had to send photo copies of document's to NVC and take originals to London embassy. So she is probably right as our case was processed in the USA.
But they told us to go and get our medical we didn't go on our own accord.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lanyu
Following on from Rene we had to send photo copies of document's to NVC and take originals to London embassy. So she is probably right as our case was processed in the USA.
But they told us to go and get our medical we didn't go on our own accord.
Yes, the process when filed in the USA is different.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2019, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies! I have a feeling I can just go ahead and book my medical, then book my interview after that.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Raphael88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have personally filled out the form and booked the appointments within a few days - and it took that long just because I wasn't happy with my medical appointment date and kept calling to have an earlier appointment.
My timeline for this part was:
- Nov. 5th: Received the letter from the US Embassy in London with my LND number; Submitted my DS-260 on the same day.
- Nov 6th: Booked my medical (originally planned for Nov. 26th) - As I wanted to get an earlier date, I didn't book the visa interview right away.
- Nov 9th: After calling every day, moved my medical from Nov. 26th to Nov. 16th.; Booked my visa interview for Nov. 26th.

As long as you leave at least a week between your medical and your interview, to allow the test results and your file to be sent to the Embassy, you can book both at the same time. You don't have to wait until your medical is done to book the next stage. It all depends if you're in a hurry to have everything done or not.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for clarifying, Raphael. Much appreciated guys!