Reload this Page >

Entering/Exiting the US after visa is issued

Entering/Exiting the US after visa is issued

Old Jan 27th 2019, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

alidbetter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering/Exiting the US after visa is issued

Hi,

I am in the process of applying for a spouse visa. My wife who is a US citizen lives with me in London. If all goes well I'm hoping my visa will be approved sometime in the spring and we're planning on moving in September. In August we also have a holiday planned in the US. If I enter the US in August, will my visa then suddenly become valid? And if so will I be able to go back to the UK for a month or so and then re-enter? Or when I go over in August can I enter as a tourist and then re-enter as a resident a month later?

Just wondering if anyone else had any experience with this? Hard to find any info about it online.

Thanks!
Adam
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering/Exiting the US after visa is issued

Your visa will be valid for travel for 6 months after the date of the medical exam. Spring to September might be cutting it close, depending on when you have your medical exam... just something to keep in mind.

You can ask to be admitted on the VWP when you come for a visit in August, but it is also at the discretion of the POE agent.

If you end up using your immigrant visa in August, it won't be a problem to go back to the UK for even a few months to wrap things up there. Just make sure you have a US address for them to send your green card and hopefully SS card to.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

I actually just found the answer to my question elsewhere on the forum: Activate Visa then leave

It seems that I can activate the visa, then leave before returning to properly live in the US. Apologies for spamming, I should have looked properly before posting!

Adam
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again, Rene! Yes, I'm planning on scheduling my medical within 6 months before September. But I guess if I activate the visa in August that gives me a bit more wiggle room.

Adam