Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Processes after landing

Processes after landing

Old Sep 25th 2001, 8:31 pm
Me

Hi

If all goes well at the interview, my wife (USC) and I will be landing back in the
USA at the end of October, and with me holding my new visa.

What are the chain of events from that point on? Does my passport get stamped at the
airport with a "permanent resident" stamp? Do I apply for an SSN straight away so i
can find a job and get my drivers lisence? Do I have to apply for a change of status
or something within a certain number of months?

I can't find the address to the DCF page that will probably tell me all the answers.

Thanks for your help

Steve

Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:35 pm
Alvena Ferreira

me wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
You will receive a permanent resident green card stamp in your passport as you enter
through immigration, when you get off the plane. That stamp will allow you to apply
for SSN and then you can work. It is IMPORTANT that you BE SURE that the immigration
port of entry officer writes your A-number in your passport on/near the visa so that
SS people do not hassle you about the SS card. Be SURE you get them to do this, it
will save you a lot of waiting for the SS card.

IF you are married under two years at the time you enter the US, you will have to
apply to remove conditions on your card, you can do this within 90 days of the
expiration date on your card (the stamp you get will be for one year and will be
temporary until you get a real card in the mail). If you are married OVER two years
at the time you enter, you will be granted a 10-year permanent resident card, and you
will have to renew this every 10 years instead. however, you will be eligible for
citizenship 3 years after you become a resident (your entry date into the US is this
date), so you may never have to renew that 10-year resident card if you apply for/get
citizenship.

More info in the Doc Steen pages at the link "DCF: which visa" and "remove
conditions' links.

Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages: http://alixtcat.50megs.com/ Doc
Steen's Marriage Visa Information Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:41 pm
Michael Voight

me wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes.... And make sure they write your A# number on it. SS wouldn't even process my
wife until she got it.

Do I apply for an
    >

Yes... However, if they do not have the INS info in the database, you might have to
wait for a clean card. However, you should be able to get the one with the markings
about "permitted to work with INS authorization" or something like that.

Do I have
    >

1 year 9 months after arrival, you apply for removal of conditions (I-751) IF you
have the 2 year conditional resident statuts. Thenn you renew every 10 years.

2 years and 9 months after arrival, if still married, you can apply for
naturalization

If you are gone from the US for extended periods, you might lose resident status.

Michael

Old Sep 25th 2001, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

PriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to all

On a related note Alvena; I too have just got an immigrant visa (DCF via London) and will be entering the USA (Newark) on December 14th. My second anniversary of our wedding is November 25th, so my question is this:

Does the INS officer automatically know that i've been married for two years when he looks up my details on his computer, because the visa says CR-1 - but thats because I wasn't married two years when I received the visa on the 17th Sept. (married Nov 25th 1999)

Or.. will I have to bring this to his/her attention at the same time as reminding him/her to write my alien number (which I haven't got yet and see no record of) in my passport?

Sorry for the convoluted post, so many points, so little space

PriZm.
Old Sep 25th 2001, 10:17 pm
Michael Voight

PriZm wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

The visa is a CR-1, so you will be a conditional resident when you enter. This visa
type will determine your status after entry.

>
    >
    >
    >

If entering on a CR visa, you will be a conditional resident. That won't change
at the POE.

Michael

Old Sep 26th 2001, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

PriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to all

TITLE 8 OF CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS (8 CFR)
8 CFR: SUBCHAPTER B -- IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS
8 CFR PART 235 -- INSPECTION OF PERSONS APPLYING FOR ADMISSION

Sec. 235.11 Admission of conditional permanent residents. (Section revised effective 4/1/97; 62 FR 10312 )

(b) Correction of endorsement on immigrant visa. If the alien is subject to the provisions of section 216 of the Act, but the classification endorsed on the immigrant visa does not so indicate, the endorsement shall be corrected and the alien shall be admitted as a lawful permanent resident on a conditional basis, if otherwise admissible. Conversely, if the alien is not subject to the provisions of section 216 of the Act, but the visa classification endorsed on the immigrant visa indicates that the alien is subject thereto (e.g., if the second anniversary of the marriage upon which the immigrant visa is based occurred after the issuance of the visa and prior to the alien's application for admission) the endorsement on the visa shall be corrected and the alien shall be admitted as a lawful permanent resident without conditions, if otherwise admissible.

Furthermore the guy who interviewed me at the Embassy in London suggested I didn't travel until after the 25th Nov just so the classification can be changed due to me being married for 2 years.

PriZm.

Old Sep 26th 2001, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Your alien number is printed on the visa, stapled to the outside of the brown envelope.