Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Preparing for K1 interview

Preparing for K1 interview

Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing for K1 interview

Originally Posted by Jamie1875

Going by everything i've mentioned in the folder i'm taking down am i good for launch? ....
Yes and then some. The copy of the petition isn't needed by you. They have the original in your file. The approval notice isn't needed by you at the interview, but don't lose it because you need a photocopy of it to include with your adjustment of status application.

Last edited by Moxie; Aug 13th 2012 at 9:01 pm. Reason: I can't type worth a darn
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I should have written "The consulate may want reaffirmation that the parties are willing and able to marry, as they were back when when the petition was first submitted."

Agreed that the consular section in London requires a new statement of intent to marry in order to revalidate the petition, but there could be other reasons why they might want it - case specific reasons, such as ambiguous information in the supporting documentation that is submitted.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Moxie
Not needed from either party at this time. The letter from the Embassy says:
The K1/3 petition is valid for four months from the date of action (priority date at the bottom of the letter) and must be valid to process your case to conclusion. To revalidate the petition, please request your fiancé(e) to make a notarized statement of intent to marry within ninety days of your arrival in the U.S. and present it on the day of your interview.
She doesn't need to revalidate the petition unless she doesn't interview until October 14. At the bottom of the letter it has specific info to the case including Priority Date. Priority date as listed by the embassy is the date of petition approval for the purpose of this letter.

The beneficiary signs under oath his intent at the interview.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

I bet you could come up with an argument for why the consulate may want him to paint his toenails pink, too.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:11 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, I couldn't. But I have seen cases where new statements of intent were requested when revalidation of the petition was not the issue, so I know it can happen.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Moxie
I bet you could come up with an argument for why the consulate may want him to paint his toenails pink, too.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice

Right, so my fiance currently earns $15k per year. Are you saying that if she doesnt include income that the savings amount should be 3x the 125% proverty line.

She currently has $4,000 in her savings account and i have a pretty large amount of savings also in my account here in the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so my fiance currently earns $15k per year. Are you saying that if she doesnt include income that the savings amount should be 3x the 125% proverty line.

She currently has $4,000 in her savings account and i have a pretty large amount of savings also in my account here in the UK.
We are saying that for the I-134, there are no set dollar amounts required. It will be up to the ConOff to decide if the amount shown is enough. As a rough guideline, you can use the I-864P figures.

In general, for the I-864, if assets are used, they must equal 3x what is lacking in income. However, since there's no set dollar amount for the I-134, that's not written in stone, it's just a rough guideline.

You cannot combine your own savings with your fiance's savings or income to come up with a total figure. But of course you can bring evidence of everything to the K-1 visa interview, and see what the ConOff thinks...either your fiance qualifies or she doesn't; or you qualify or you don't; and if neither of you do, you'll be asked to find a sponsor who does.

Keep in mind you will need to do this all again with your subsequent AOS and I-864 affidavit of support, which has strict dollar amount requirements. So be prepared. But by that time, your assets CAN be included on your wife's I-864.

Rene
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice

So i have photocopies that my fiance sent me of everything she submitted with the I-129F, i also have a I-134 from her. But from what you're saying Jeff i take it that it would be wise if she was to send me over to take to the interview a notarized copy of an up to date statement of intent to marry. Just going by what you previously mentioned of the officer by off chance still requesting it even though the person is still within the 4 month period like ourselfs?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

But from what you're saying Jeff i take it that it would be wise if she was to send me over to take to the interview a notarized copy of an up to date statement of intent to marry. Just going by what you previously mentioned of the officer by off chance still requesting it even though the person is still within the 4 month period like ourselfs?
If your interview is within the 4 months, another statement of intent is highly unlikely to be needed.

But if you do want to bring one, it does not have to be notarized.

Rene
Old Aug 14th 2012, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Ok, it's just that in the letter they sent me requesting the package 3 forms they said ''To revalidate the petition, please request your fiance to make a notarized statement of intent to marry within 90 days of your arrival in the US and present it on the day of your interview.

So if i'm taking it down with me just incase, even though as you say it's highly unlikely that i'll need it anyway, by the sounds of it they request that it's notarized according to the letter?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 2:15 am

Ok, it's just that in the letter they sent me requesting the package 3 forms they said ''To revalidate the petition, please request your fiance to make a notarized statement of intent to marry within 90 days of your arrival in the US and present it on the day of your interview.

So if i'm taking it down with me just incase, even though as you say it's highly unlikely that i'll need it anyway, by the sounds of it they request that it's notarized according to the letter?
If that's what it specifically says in the instructions, then go ahead and do that.

Rene
Old Aug 14th 2012, 2:14 pm

I agree with Rene's answer to this question, but if you are risk averse and want to avoid any chance of delay be prepared with an updated statement of intent.

Regards, JEff

So i have photocopies that my fiance sent me of everything she submitted with the I-129F, i also have a I-134 from her. But from what you're saying Jeff i take it that it would be wise if she was to send me over to take to the interview a notarized copy of an up to date statement of intent to marry. Just going by what you previously mentioned of the officer by off chance still requesting it even though the person is still within the 4 month period like ourselfs?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hey guys,

So i was just thinking, the part on the embassy website that says -

''All documents are required even if they were previously submitted to the USCIS with your petition.''

My fiance made photocopies of everything she sent with the I-129F Petition and she sent them over to me. So i have photocopies of them but they aren't the original's, and it's the part on the site that say's - ''You are required to obtain the original documents or certified copies, and one photocopy (with the exception of your passport and photographs)''.

So am i ok going down just with all the copies of the I-129F petition that she sent me or do i need to get her to fill out all the forms again and send them over for my interview?

Also, i (stupidly) didn't make copies of the DS forms that i sent to the embassy with package 3. Do i need to go and do these forms again and take them down to London with me or am i fine because they aren't required as these weren't submitted to USCIS? I know i should of made copies of everything and i have no idea why i forgot to do this with the DS forms (which took flippin ages to do! Haha)

Thanks
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:17 pm

In general, when things are submitted to USCIS or DOS, forms are originals and backup evidence is photocopies. When you attend the visa interview, bring a photocopy of the forms, and the original backup evidence. But London is one of the lenient ones, and does not usually ask to see the originals of the backup evidence that was sent with the I-129F.

The only original form you should be bringing to the visa interview is the I-134. Backup documents for the I-134 should be photocopies.

Rene
Old Aug 18th 2012, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
In general, when things are submitted to USCIS or DOS, forms are originals and backup evidence is photocopies. When you attend the visa interview, bring a photocopy of the forms, and the original backup evidence. But London is one of the lenient ones, and does not usually ask to see the originals of the backup evidence that was sent with the I-129F.

The only original form you should be bringing to the visa interview is the I-134. Backup documents for the I-134 should be photocopies.

Rene
What do you mean for the original backup evidence? As in evidence that we submitted to prove the relationship, ie photo's and such?

So, photocopies of I-129F petition forms, photocopies of DS forms, original I-134 (even though i submitted an original one from my fiance with package 3, she's sent me another one aswel though) Original evidence thats is proof of the relationship. My bank savings statements if required. Passport, Birth/police certificate originals/copies

How's my list? Sorry that i keep going on abit, it's obviously just so important i get this right, i need too!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 1:03 pm

What do you mean for the original backup evidence? As in evidence that we submitted to prove the relationship, ie photo's and such?
Yes. But you'd only need to show these if the ConOff asks, and in London they rarely ask.

So, photocopies of I-129F petition forms, photocopies of DS forms,
Yes, although you probably won't be asked to show them.

original I-134 (even though i submitted an original one from my fiance with package 3, she's sent me another one aswel though)
The I-134 wasn't supposed to be submitted ahead of time, you're supposed to take it to the interview...but you'll be fine. Bring the original she's sending you, just in case.

Original evidence thats is proof of the relationship. My bank savings statements if required. Passport, Birth/police certificate originals/copies
Yes.

Don't worry. London is very relaxed about the amount of evidence and whether you have originals/copies and such. Sounds to me like you'll be fine.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.