Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Preparing for K1 interview

Preparing for K1 interview

Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice
Default Preparing for K1 interview

Well folk's i've reached the exciting stage of preparing for my interview which is in 2 weeks time!

I'm gathering all the necessary paperwork now in which i need to take down to London with me and i'm just wondering if anyone can help me out with that papers it is exactly that i need?

I've been looking at the embassy site and i gather that i need to take with me -

'Original documents or certified copies, and one photocopy (with the exception of your passport and photographs).....All documents are required even if they were previously submitted to the USCIS with your petition.'

Now which documents do they mean exactly?

As far as i see from that page it's a -

Passport

Birth Certificate

Police Certificate

DS-230, part 2, pages 3 & 4,

3 Photographs which meet DOS standard (it mentions 2 are for the visa and 1 for the medical but are these required again? because when i sent them package 3 i attached 2 photos to the papers and when i went down for the medical i handed over another photo which went on my file)

Affidavit of Support - So that's form I-864 from my fiance yeah? And i also need a I-134 from her?

A notarized statement of intent to marry from her

All documents Unless already submitted to the National Visa Centre (NVC) - which documents are these they talk of?

So is it just all the above and then things as evidence to support our relationship?

Pictures, another statement of intent to marry from me? A page which reflects my savings should they require it, my fiances tax showings etc

Sorry for the long message guy's, i just wanna make sure i get this 100% right and that i head down to London with exactly everything that i need. Would be great if especially those reading this who perhaps very recently went for their interview could tell me everything they brought and everything that was asked of them.

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing for K1 interview

Put at the top of your list:

Interview letter
Receipt for paying the visa fee

Originally Posted by Jamie1875
Now which documents do they mean exactly?
The ones listed for you on this page http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html
There are links to further explanation within the list. READ the further details if you want to avoid mistakes.

As far as i see from that page it's a -

Passport

Birth Certificate

Police Certificate

DS-230, part 2, pages 3 & 4, Not for K1

3 Photographs which meet DOS standard (it mentions 2 are for the visa and 1 for the medical but are these required again? because when i sent them package 3 i attached 2 photos to the papers and when i went down for the medical i handed over another photo which went on my file)
You were supposed to take 2 to the interview and not attach to your forms, but since you did they already have this from you.

Affidavit of Support - So that's form I-864 from my fiance yeah?
K1s do the I-134, not I-864

A notarized statement of intent to marry from her
Read your first letter from them. It says only if 4 months pass before your interview.

All documents Unless already submitted to the National Visa Centre (NVC) - which documents are these they talk of?
Thats for spouse visas. You didn't submit document to NVC

So is it just all the above and then things as evidence to support our relationship?
Read http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html and the further information link

another statement of intent to marry from me? Not needed.

Pictures, A page which reflects my savings should they require it, my fiances tax showings etc

Sorry for the long message guy's, i just wanna make sure i get this 100% right and that i head down to London with exactly everything that i need. Would be great if especially those reading this who perhaps very recently went for their interview could tell me everything they brought and everything that was asked of them.

Thanks
I don't think you have it quite down yet. Read your letters from the embassy. Read the link I gave you.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Affidavit of Support - So that's form I-864 from my fiance yeah? And i also need a I-134 from her?
Apparently, you need to be reminded at least once more, that you do NOT need an I-864 for a K-1 visa.

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It appears that you may be reading about information for immigrant visas, not a K1.
- no DS-230 Part II
- no I-864, only I-134
- you know perfectly well that you have not submitted any documents to the NVC.

Regards, JEff

I've been looking at the embassy site and i gather that i need to take with me - ...
Old Aug 12th 2012, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice

http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html

Ok so..

Interview letter

Receipt for paying the visa fee

Police Certificate

Birth Certificate

I-134 from my fiance

plus copies aswel as originals for the above.

Going by the link that's the required documents that i'm seeing. Apologies if i've missed any, have i?

So if i take all that along and then on top of that i've read on various threads on here that people take along (and are sometimes asked for) photos, and also if they aren't impressed with my fiances I-134 (which i'm fairly confident they will be as she has a pretty decent amount in her account) i also have bank statements that can show savings that i also have, so i have that if needs be.

I just thought there was more that i needed to take to the interview..
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

and also if they aren't impressed with my fiances I-134 (which i'm fairly confident they will be as she has a pretty decent amount in her account) i also have bank statements that can show savings that i also have, so i have that if needs be.
The thing is, only one of you can sponsor. You can either "self sponsor" if YOU have enough in savings, or she can sponsor you, if she has enough in either income or savings. You say a "pretty decent amount", but it's subjective, and up to the ConOff to agree it's enough to prevent you from becoming a public charge in the USA.

Although the I-864 is not the affidavit of support at this stage, and the amounts on the I-864P are not enforced at this stage, it's still a good rough guideline as to how much the ConOff will be looking for.

You cannot combine your savings with your fiancee's savings to come up with a total amount.

Rene
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The thing is, only one of you can sponsor. You can either "self sponsor" if YOU have enough in savings, or she can sponsor you, if she has enough in either income or savings. You say a "pretty decent amount", but it's subjective, and up to the ConOff to agree it's enough to prevent you from becoming a public charge in the USA.

Although the I-864 is not the affidavit of support at this stage, and the amounts on the I-864P are not enforced at this stage, it's still a good rough guideline as to how much the ConOff will be looking for.

You cannot combine your savings with your fiancee's savings to come up with a total amount.

Rene
Having looked at the figures, my fiances amount will be plently for her to sponsor me. Rene is there anything i haven't mentioned yet that i need to bring to the interview? Any other forms i need to take etc?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Having looked at the figures, my fiances amount will be plently for her to sponsor me.
Don't forget that if she's not using income, but is using savings, the amount should probably be around 3x the 125% figure on the I-864P. It doesn't have to be exact, but just a guideline.

Rene is there anything i haven't mentioned yet that i need to bring to the interview? Any other forms i need to take etc?
If 4 months have passed since the I-129F approval, bring an updated letter of intent from your fiancee. Bring originals of anything she submitted a photocopy of with the I-129F. Along with the I-134, make sure she has proof of her income and/or assets. Other than that, looks good to me.

Rene
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html

I just thought there was more that i needed to take to the interview..
Your passport was left off your revised list.
Credit card to pay the courier.

Last edited by Moxie; Aug 13th 2012 at 3:10 am.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Don't forget that if she's not using income, but is using savings, the amount should probably be around 3x the 125% figure on the I-864P. It doesn't have to be exact, but just a guideline.

If 4 months have passed since the I-129F approval, bring an updated letter of intent from your fiancee. Bring originals of anything she submitted a photocopy of with the I-129F. Along with the I-134, make sure she has proof of her income and/or assets. Other than that, looks good to me.

Rene
Our I-129F approval is the date on the letter they sent me asking to send in all the forms (package 3) yeah? after it says 'Your Priority Date'? Thats when the I-129F was approved and that was 14th June, so we're still within the 4 months so therefore we shouldn't require any updated letter of intent?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:30 pm

Our I-129F approval is the date on the letter they sent me asking to send in all the forms (package 3) yeah? after it says 'Your Priority Date'? Thats when the I-129F was approved and that was 14th June, so we're still within the 4 months so therefore we shouldn't require any updated letter of intent?
The I-129F approval date will be on the NOA2 (Notice of Action - Approval of I-129F) which came by mail to the USC petitioner.

Rene
Old Aug 13th 2012, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

The I-129F approval date will be on the NOA2 (Notice of Action - Approval of I-129F) which came by mail to the USC petitioner.

Rene
Aaah ok, yeah she actually sent me that, the I-797 Notice Of Action, which starts off by saying 'The above petition has been approved'. The notice date is the 14th of June so it looks like we're within the 4 months.

From my fiance i have her original I-129F, and I-134. I also have her Income Tax Return which shows her income and Tax payments. I have her G-325A Biographic Information. I have a statement from her boss with all his contact information which was typed on a State Farm Insurance piece of paper and signed which lays out her gross hourly salary. I have her Wells Fargo bank account statement which shows her balance on June 21st and also another Wells Fargo statement which shows her savings account balance. These have both been signed and printed also by a person who works in the bank.

I have originals and photocopies of all the above.

So thats everything i have from my fiance. From me I have my Interview Letter, Receipt for paying the visa fee, Passport, Police Certificate, Birth Certificate (long version) plus things to validate the relationship if required.

Going by everything i've mentioned in the folder i'm taking down am i good for launch? ....
Old Aug 13th 2012, 5:33 pm

From my fiance i have her original I-129F...,
You shouldn't have her original I-129F. She should have sent that in to USCIS a long time ago with the original I-129F petition application. Perhaps you have a photocopy of it.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 13th 2012 at 7:03 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:50 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The petition approval date will be shown on the petition Approval Notice from USCIS, it's the 'from' date for the period of validity of the petition approval. It may not be the Notice Date, but will be close to it.

The Priority Date may or may not be shown on either the petition Receipt Notice or the petition Approval notice, because it has no meaning with respect to K visas. However, it would be within a few days of the Receipt Date shown on the Receipt Notice. The consulate will want reaffirmation that the parties are willing and able to marry, as they were back when when the petition was first submitted.

Regards, JEff

Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The consulate will want reaffirmation that the parties are willing and able to marry, as they were back when when the petition was first submitted.

Regards, JEff
Not needed from either party at this time. The letter from the Embassy says:
The K1/3 petition is valid for four months from the date of action (priority date at the bottom of the letter) and must be valid to process your case to conclusion. To revalidate the petition, please request your fiancé(e) to make a notarized statement of intent to marry within ninety days of your arrival in the U.S. and present it on the day of your interview.
She doesn't need to revalidate the petition unless she doesn't interview until October 14. At the bottom of the letter it has specific info to the case including Priority Date. Priority date as listed by the embassy is the date of petition approval for the purpose of this letter.

The beneficiary signs under oath his intent at the interview.

Last edited by Moxie; Aug 13th 2012 at 8:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.