Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Planning the post-K-1 push...

Planning the post-K-1 push...

Old Apr 25th 2003, 11:06 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning the post-K-1 push...

Originally posted by thing2
Apart from what I carry over, I'm sending everything over with a shipping firm - going to cost around £500 but I want it all done in one fell swoop.
Do you mind tell me which shipping company you're using? Mark and I are discussing that option right now, actually!

Thanks in advance...

~ Jenney
Old Apr 25th 2003, 11:18 am
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning the post-K-1 push...

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Do you mind tell me which shipping company you're using?
Nearly certain that I'm going to use Simpsons Removals : http://www.simpsons-uk.com/index.html

Their quote seemed reasonable (half what another company quoted) and the information they provided is excellent. Some companies never got back to me so sod 'em if they don't want my business. Simpsons pack everything, which although I figure I could do that myself, the insurance responsibilities fall on them if something were to go missing.

The only tough thing is trying to work out the volume of stuff I have, i've no idea how many cubic feet it is. I just put everything in boxes and measured the length, width & depth of the pile, and added a bit extra.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

pondhopper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving things

I have also been checking this problem and the company that is sending my things are doing this
I pack my things into as many reasonable boxes as I want, give them a list of the contents, They collect from my home 2-3 days before I leave for the US, load 1-2 pallets with the boxes and shrink wrap the lot, they hold the goods for 3-4 days then sort out the customs and load it onto the plane to the US by which time I am in the US and can collect from the airport in person so no customs problems at that end either.
Not too expensive either.
If any one has a better way please share with us?
David
Old Apr 25th 2003, 9:30 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving things

Originally posted by pondhopper
I have also been checking this problem and the company that is sending my things are doing this
I pack my things into as many reasonable boxes as I want, give them a list of the contents, They collect from my home 2-3 days before I leave for the US, load 1-2 pallets with the boxes and shrink wrap the lot, they hold the goods for 3-4 days then sort out the customs and load it onto the plane to the US by which time I am in the US and can collect from the airport in person so no customs problems at that end either.
Not too expensive either.
If any one has a better way please share with us?
David
David,

That sounds an excellent arrangement - would you be willing to share who is handling this for you, please?

Thanks,
Debbie
Old Apr 26th 2003, 5:53 am
Just Joined

lestill22 is an unknown quantity at this point

"Mark doesn't have a lot of personal items to bring over, at least not in the sense of furniture or big items. (One of the main reasons we decided that HE should move HERE!) But he does have TONS of CDs (over 2,000) and DVDs "

Hi, Just want to remind everyone that DVD's from the UK do not work in American DVD players. You have to get a universal DVD player, I hear they are expensive but can be worth it if you have a big DVD collection. They do this to keep people in England from buying DVD's online from America before they release them months later in England.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Duckie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lestill22
Hi, Just want to remind everyone that DVD's from the UK do not work in American DVD players. You have to get a universal DVD player, I hear they are expensive but can be worth it if you have a big DVD collection. They do this to keep people in England from buying DVD's online from America before they release them months later in England.
only thing you need is a computer with tv-out and digital sound out. that is a bit cheaper then getting a differant stand alone dvd player. and usually the contry code free dvd players are not that expensive, as usually only "cheap sh!t brands"(no offence) offer them at all.
Old Apr 26th 2003, 8:11 am
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lestill22 Just want to remind everyone that DVD's from the UK do not work in American DVD players. You have to get a universal DVD player, I hear they are expensive but can be worth it if you have a big DVD collection. They do this to keep people in England from buying DVD's online from America before they release them months later in England.
It's not that difficult - here's a previous discussion on it : http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=133843

Aswell as the region code issue it's important to ensure your NTSC TV can play PAL DVDs/videos or your VCR/DVD Player is MULTI-SYSTEM as well as Multi-Region

See here for a selection of name and not-so-name players

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/

Most of my DVDs are Region 1 NTSC anyway as they're cheaper to import than buy brand new in the UK and usually (but not always) have better features. My UK DVDs are pretty much restricted to only UK TV shows that are unavailable in the US.