Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

To Philip690: Your Own Thread

To Philip690: Your Own Thread

Old Sep 18th 2004, 4:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default To Philip690: Your Own Thread

Dear Philip:
you wrote
"I am in the last stage of my immigrant visa process. I have my stay here in London. My wife is in the U.S.A. The question here is, If everything went well and I decided to come back to london after one month to take care of some unfinished business would I face any problem when I arrive at US Immigration?"

I received your Private Message via British Expats but prefer you ask your visa questions on the board to benefit from the experiences of others and to share your answers with future readers. It's also OK to start your own new thread with your question, rather than adding onto someone else's thread with your new question.

It is not uncommon for IV holders to activate their visa within the 6 months that it is valid by entering the US, receiving stamp I-551 and leaving as early as the next day to return to the home country to tie up loose ends or whatever. There are always issues of abandonment for Permanent Residents to consider, so consider carefully where your domicile is (and your family). If you are unsure about abandonment, please consult with a US Immigration lawyer for guidence.

My spouse used his IV to enter the US and left for a visit 'home' after 4 months. He went on his own and had no problems re-entering the US. After staying in the US for one month, you may find that your plastic Green Card has arrived in the mail before you leave again (ours arrived within 4 weeks).
Old Sep 18th 2004, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Philip690 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To Philip690: Your Own Thread

Originally Posted by meauxna
Dear Philip:
you wrote
"I am in the last stage of my immigrant visa process. I have my stay here in London. My wife is in the U.S.A. The question here is, If everything went well and I decided to come back to london after one month to take care of some unfinished business would I face any problem when I arrive at US Immigration?"

I received your Private Message via British Expats but prefer you ask your visa questions on the board to benefit from the experiences of others and to share your answers with future readers. It's also OK to start your own new thread with your question, rather than adding onto someone else's thread with your new question.

It is not uncommon for IV holders to activate their visa within the 6 months that it is valid by entering the US, receiving stamp I-551 and leaving as early as the next day to return to the home country to tie up loose ends or whatever. There are always issues of abandonment for Permanent Residents to consider, so consider carefully where your domicile is (and your family). If you are unsure about abandonment, please consult with a US Immigration lawyer for guidence.

My spouse used his IV to enter the US and left for a visit 'home' after 4 months. He went on his own and had no problems re-entering the US. After staying in the US for one month, you may find that your plastic Green Card has arrived in the mail before you leave again (ours arrived within 4 weeks).

meauxna,
Thanks again. Could you please throw some light on this plastic green card.
I thought one can only get the green card after we file in three months before our second anniversary which is on the 10th of october next year. I am familiarized with some of the immigration laws here in London.

To me, the laws in America are kind of confusing.

I hope I am not a pain.

Thanks

Philip
Old Sep 19th 2004, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are a pain. Just kidding, I'm in an odd mood.

When you arrive in the US with your immigrant visa, you get an I-551 stamp in your passport. This means you ARE a permanent resident. Because they don't pull the plastic cards out of their sleeves at the POE, but actually make them somewhere else, your actual plastic card will be mailed to you. How long this takes, varies.
If you are married less than 2 years at the date you get this I-551 stamp, you are a conditional permanent resident. You have all the same benefits as legal permanent residents, only your card expires in 2 years. You have to file for removal of conditions (from 90 days -not 3 months- before the 2 years anniversary of becoming a PR, NOT your wedding anniversary) and when this gets approved you will receive a 10 year card.

So the I-551 stamp has the same value as the 2 year card, which has the same value as the 10 year card.

Once you have the stamp, you're free to turn right around if you wish. Just as Meauxna said, make sure you keep an eye on the rules for abandonment.

Elaine

Originally Posted by Philip690
meauxna,
I thought one can only get the green card after we file in three months before our second anniversary which is on the 10th of october next year. I am familiarized with some of the immigration laws here in London.

I hope I am not a pain.

Thanks

Philip

Last edited by HunterGreen; Sep 19th 2004 at 1:12 am.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 6:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

meauxna,

I hope I am not a pain.

Thanks

Philip
Philip:

If you have been married +2 years when you enter the US with an Immigrant Visa, you receive a stamp I-551. That is proof of your Permanent Resident status. You would be mailed a plastic Green Card shortly after that is valid for 10 years.

Since you (likely) will NOT have been married 2 years when you enter the US with an Immigrant Visa, you still get the stamp, are still a Permanent Resident and still get your card mailed to you. That card is valid for 2 years. 90 days before it expires, if still married, you file a form and eventually, get the 10 year card.

The 2 year thingie is just to keep us newlyweds in order and to help reduce fraud in the system. It's not too complicated.
Best of luck with your interview. I'm sure others here would be interested in the details of when you filed what etc, if you wanted to post them.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Philip:

If you have been married +2 years when you enter the US with an Immigrant Visa, you receive a stamp I-551. That is proof of your Permanent Resident status. You would be mailed a plastic Green Card shortly after that is valid for 10 years.

Since you (likely) will NOT have been married 2 years when you enter the US with an Immigrant Visa, you still get the stamp, are still a Permanent Resident and still get your card mailed to you. That card is valid for 2 years. 90 days before it expires, if still married, you file a form and eventually, get the 10 year card.

The 2 year thingie is just to keep us newlyweds in order and to help reduce fraud in the system. It's not too complicated.
Best of luck with your interview. I'm sure others here would be interested in the details of when you filed what etc, if you wanted to post them.
meauxna,

I must extend my thanks to you and Elaine for the information given thus far.

I have sent the Forms: DS-230, Application for Immigrant visa and Alien Registration-Biographic Data, etc. I am now waiting for the American Embassy here to write me. I have almost everything in place. I am just waiting for the police certificate due anytime this month.

I am not really frighten about any interview. I have gone through the most frightening one when I arrived here (london) ten years ago. I had almost all of my relatives here yet I was intervied by five different Immigration Officers. They just wanted to know if my story adds up. I got all ten of my fingers printed. I even asked the officer if he wanted to take the toes as well. He started to laugh his guts out.

Anyway guys, let me go for now. I will keep you people informed.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 1:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

meauxna,

I must extend my thanks to you and Elaine for the information given thus far.

I have sent the Forms: DS-230, Application for Immigrant visa and Alien Registration-Biographic Data, etc. I am now waiting for the American Embassy here to write me. I have almost everything in place. I am just waiting for the police certificate due anytime this month.

I am not really frighten about any interview. I have gone through the most frightening one when I arrived here (london) ten years ago. I had almost all of my relatives here yet I was intervied by five different Immigration Officers. They just wanted to know if my story adds up. I got all ten of my fingers printed. I even asked the officer if he wanted to take the toes as well. He started to laugh his guts out.

Anyway guys, let me go for now. I will keep you people informed.

Thanks again.
So the UK Immigration Officials are or can be as ~thorough~ then as the US Officials can be at a POE. As for the printing, that is how it is done in the US ... all ten digits.

Rete
Old Sep 24th 2004, 5:20 am

I read a whole lot of comments on this sites and I would like for you to throw some light for on this one.

7.2)..When do I become a Permanent Resident (conditional status removed)?
A..You become a permanent resident (conditional status removed) after approval of the I-751 "Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence".
back

7.3) ..Okay, when do I file the I-751 to lift conditional status?
A..When your passport is stamped with the I-551 at the adjustment of status interview, the stamp has the AOS approval date written on it. Your 2 year conditional period begins with that date.
Ninety (90) days prior to the end of the conditional period, you and your US Citizen spouse will apply together for a removal of the "conditional" status by filing form I-751 together as a married couple.

My question here is, Dose the 2 year conditional period begins on the day the passport is stamped with the I-551 or from the day we got married?
Philip,
quoted above is the private message text you sent me. Please post your questions on the board for any/all to answer. If you do not know how to use the board to start a new post, please find the FAQ button at the top of every page.

To answer your question: Permanent Residency, conditional or not, begins on the day your passport is stamped with I-551. Everything will now "count" from that day forward.

As you are applying for an IV:
-If married LESS than 2 years at your interview, your visa will be CR-1 (have to remove conditiions later)

-If married MORE than 2 years at your ENTRY, your status will be IR-1 (no conditions), even if your visa said CR-1.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Philip,
quoted above is the private message text you sent me. Please post your questions on the board for any/all to answer. If you do not know how to use the board to start a new post, please find the FAQ button at the top of every page.

To answer your question: Permanent Residency, conditional or not, begins on the day your passport is stamped with I-551. Everything will now "count" from that day forward.

As you are applying for an IV:
-If married LESS than 2 years at your interview, your visa will be CR-1 (have to remove conditiions later)

-If married MORE than 2 years at your ENTRY, your status will be IR-1 (no conditions), even if your visa said CR-1.
Thanks meauxna. I think I now know how to post my question on the board. Please correct me if I am wrong. The process am going through now to send you this message, is it the same way to post a question on the board?

Thanks for your understanding.

Philip
Old Sep 25th 2004, 2:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks meauxna. I think I now know how to post my question on the board. Please correct me if I am wrong. The process am going through now to send you this message, is it the same way to post a question on the board?

Thanks for your understanding.

Philip

Philip

When you enter the forum on BE you will click the "new thread" button on the left of your screen just below the banner for the site.

It is suggested that you start a new thread for each of your questions so that you and others with similar questions can easily seek the information they are looking for.

Just a note, from myself as Moderator and poster:

Many regular posters do not like to answer questions via private message. It is not that we don't care but rather that by doing so we might only be hurting ourselves and more importantly the questioner. It is all to easy to give replies that are not thorough or completely correct. By asking on a public forum it helps to insure that others can correct any misinformation that is given.

Also understand that we are not attorneys and our knowledge is only from what we, ourselves, have experienced and our reading of the experiences of others.

Rete