Packet 3 help!

Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

yellowfruit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Packet 3 help!

Howdy folks,

I feel like I need another degree to get through all these forms! I'm filling out Packet 3 as part of a K1 application whilst I wait for my police certificate and would just like to check a few things if someone could help me out.

DS-230 Part 1:

I'm guessing I only submit pages 1 and 2, or do I submit a blank 3 and 4?
For all educational institutions this means primary right through university? And I guess I just put GCSE, A-Level, etc as appropriate for the first of those?

DS-157:

One of my previous employers was liquidated, I don't think there is a contact address any more but I could supply a contact number for my old boss. I'd think that would be sufficient?

For professional/social/charitable organizations how far back do I go? I was a member of the IEEE for about two years. I was in the Cub Scouts too when I was 10! Should I list this? Seems silly but you never know with these things

Finally could anyone shed light on 'educational institutions which are vocational but not elementary'? Vocational to me would mean directly related to work, which would be my Electronics degree at university?

DS-156K:

Confusingly says attach your evidence but you shouldn't send anything but the forms, so I'll ignore that for now.

Evidence of engagement I have photos from the engagement party, engagement cards and one of the invitations that was sent out.

Evidence of financial support is confusing me, I presume that this isn't I-864 as this isn't required at this stage. I have two copies of my fiancee's tax returns and I can get bank statements and wage slips to show that I'm earning and have money in the bank. Is this is what is required by this?

Thanks all for your help folks, this forum really helps keep me sane!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packet 3 help!

Originally Posted by yellowfruit
Evidence of financial support is confusing me, I presume that this isn't I-864 as this isn't required at this stage. I have two copies of my fiancee's tax returns and I can get bank statements and wage slips to show that I'm earning and have money in the bank. Is this is what is required by this?
The usual "affidavit of support" form for the K-1 visa is the I-134. You fiance, if she earns enough money, should fill this out and send you the original, plus proof of her income (letter from employer, a few recent pay stubs).

If she doesn't earn enough, she can get someone else who does to fill in the I-134 as your sponsor.

If you yourself have enough savings in the bank (there's no set amount, but 3x the amount she would have needed in income is a good ballpark figure), then you can show proof of your own savings in the bank instead of providing an I-134.

Your earnings won't count for this, only savings in the bank.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 27th 2010 at 5:56 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE=yellowfruit;
DS-230 Part 1:

I'm guessing I only submit pages 1 and 2, or do I submit a blank 3 and 4?
For all educational institutions this means primary right through university? And I guess I just put GCSE, A-Level, etc as appropriate for the first of those?

K visas only need page 1 & 2 of DS-230.

DS-157:

One of my previous employers was liquidated, I don't think there is a contact address any more but I could supply a contact number for my old boss. I'd think that would be sufficient?

Just put the information that was valid when you worked there.

For professional/social/charitable organizations how far back do I go? I was a member of the IEEE for about two years. I was in the Cub Scouts too when I was 10! Should I list this? Seems silly but you never know with these things

This is your personal call.

Finally could anyone shed light on 'educational institutions which are vocational but not elementary'? Vocational to me would mean directly related to work, which would be my Electronics degree at university?

Vocational schools are things like, professional diving school (for commercial work), welding school etc. Not university.
Elementary school in the US = Primary school in the UK

DS-156K:

Confusingly says attach your evidence but you shouldn't send anything but the forms, so I'll ignore that for now.

That's worded poorly.. take your evidence to the interview and do not submit it ahead of time. You shuold always follow the local instructions (the IV checklist, in your case) over the form instructions.

Evidence of engagement I have photos from the engagement party, engagement cards and one of the invitations that was sent out.

There is a page on the Embassy website (if you follow all the links for fiance visas on their site, you'll get lots of supporting information) that explicitly states what Evidence of Support a K visa applicant needs. Looks like you are missing a few things.
Let me know if you look and can not find that page; it's linked from at least two of the main fiance visa pages at their site.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ah don't you just love dealing with the government. Any government.

Okay I've seen the I-134 tucked away on:

http://london.usembassy.gov/interview_documents.html

It's worth noting that I-134 doesn't appear in the wiki index and it's only on the general K1 page, not the London applicant's page!

So I need a I-134 now, and later once I go though AOS I'll need to do this again with an I-864?

I left out other supporting documents as I'm not confused about those. From the page above I believe the full list is:

Birth Certificate (Mine)
Police Certificate (Sent, just waiting for this back)
Evidence of engagement (Which I haven't seen mentioned on any embassy pages, but is on the form, again I've seen people use photos, invitations etc, there is no ring! Also I believe an updated letter of intent stating we're engaged and still intend to marry etc)
Evidence of financial support (I-134 + "letter from employer, a few recent pay stubs")

I've not been married and therefore not divorced, no deaths either! I think I also saw somewhere that I should take the original I-129F application and RFE documents, which my fiancee brought over on her last visit!

This does seem a bit too straight forward, I'm surely missing something.

Thanks all!

Matthew
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

AhIt's worth noting that I-134 doesn't appear in the wiki index and it's only on the general K1 page, not the London applicant's page!
Can you post the wiki link to the "London applicant's page" you are referring to? I didn't think there was a wiki entry for K-1's specifically in London.

So I need a I-134 now, and later once I go though AOS I'll need to do this again with an I-864?
Yes, that's correct.

This does seem a bit too straight forward, I'm surely missing something.
Sounds like you've got it all sorted out now. Don't forget you'll do a full medical, too. The results go directly to the embassy before your interview.

Rene
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Noorah101! The wiki page is:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1_London_Applications

Just to confirm, I leave DS-157 item 17 - which is:

"List all educational institutions you attend or have attended. Include vocational institutions but not elementary schools."

As N/A as I have not attended any vocational institutions, and leave the full list of primary/secondary/6th form/university for DS-230 Part 1 (List below all educational institutions attended.)

Back on the right path now I think, thanks
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

As N/A as I have not attended any vocational institutions...
Do not put "N/A"... because the question IS applicable. If you've not attended, the correct answer is "None".

Ian
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, London is re-doing their website and have taken down about half the useful pages they used to have up.

sigh, yeah, I don't kow how people are supposed to really figure it out anymore. We need recent applicants to step up and answer some of these questions and help document any changes made recently.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

I have two copies of my fiancee's tax returns
I believe you need your fiancee's tax returns from the last three years. I was only asked for the most recent year at my interview but I had all three with me anyway.