NSC and discrimination

Old Aug 24th 2002, 7:55 am
Stephan

Default Re: NSC and discrimination

hey rete, start crossing whatever you have thursday the fifth. and for sure you'll
get a statement of overwhelming joy - or disappointment. i've studied in berlin and
was born in the vogtland. well, i admit this is not the most important region of
germany, but hey, it's nice. it's saxony, but far away from the flood. stephan

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Safe flight Stephan. Let us know when we can uncross the digits.
    > Rete
    > BTW what part of Germany are you from? I was born in Karlshrue and still have
    > relatives there I visit infrequently.

Old Aug 25th 2002, 6:37 am
Toby Everett

donahso <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Toby, I really like the way you laid out the two perspectives, but have a little
    > different one to ponder.
    > Based on my understanding:
    > The I-129F is filed by the USC and only the USC (or legal rep) has any standing.
    > Beneficiaries are not entitled to information about the status of the petitiion and
    > INS will not tell the beneficiary.
    > Once approved and the K1 is in process, both the petitioner and beneficiary have
    > standing at the consulate. The consulate officer is free to discuss it with either
    > party. The beneficiary, however, is the one who must do the work.
OK, I'll buy that (especially since my fiancee and I have yet to be permitted to
proceed with the K-1 application due to the NSC's pace of adjudication). I think my
view may also have been colored by the fact that, in our case, I won't be travelling
to the consulate (I could if I absolutely had to, but I wouldn't be able to stay for
long - I've used up all my vacation for the year spending time with my fiancee, and I
can't take leave without pay). My fiancee will be doing all of the work save for the
I-134, and since I've already started working on giving up control of my finances and
thinking of them as our finances (although I still have a long way to go), I have no
problem with her seeing it. Thanks for the clarification.

> The original post was titled "NSC and discrimination". IMHO, it does not on the
    > basis of nationality, only on the USCs who must go through them.
I think it was a title that just go snagged from another thread. I agree with your
assertion, although I do think it would be reasonable to say that the existence of
widely varying procedures at the consulates does in effect discriminate on the basis
of nationality (I'm thinking, in particular, of Mumbai). I am so glad we will be
working through Bucharest, which seems to have a good reputation for being efficient
and humane. My fiancee did find out recently that the embassy in Chisinau will be
the one that sends her packet 3 at the direction of the one in Bucharest, so it
sounds like they've also tried to mitigate any problems posed by the mail.

--Toby Everett

Old Aug 25th 2002, 8:48 am
Stephan

Toby Everett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > donahso <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > The original post was titled "NSC and discrimination". IMHO, it does not on the
    > > basis of nationality, only on the USCs who must go through them.
    > I think it was a title that just go snagged from another thread.

this is absolutely right. hereby i do apologyze for using language in a way that
might be misunderstood. i wanted to point on the NSC processing times. my mistake was
to let myself write things in an angry mood.

stephan

Old Aug 26th 2002, 8:13 am
Gabriela

Oh I get it that your fiance is from Romania cause you are talking about the Bucarest
Consulate.I am also from Romania ...may I ask from where exactly....wich town I
mean?Im from Constanta....when she will have her interview at hte embassy?

"Toby Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > donahso <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Toby, I really like the way you laid out the two perspectives, but have a little
    > > different one to ponder.
    > >
    > > Based on my understanding:
    > >
    > > The I-129F is filed by the USC and only the USC (or legal rep) has any standing.
    > > Beneficiaries are not entitled to information about the status of the petitiion
    > > and INS will not tell the beneficiary.
    > >
    > > Once approved and the K1 is in process, both the petitioner and beneficiary have
    > > standing at the consulate. The consulate officer is free to discuss it with
    > > either party. The beneficiary, however, is the one who must do the work.
    > OK, I'll buy that (especially since my fiancee and I have yet to be permitted to
    > proceed with the K-1 application due to the NSC's pace of adjudication). I think
    > my view may also have been colored by the fact that, in our case, I won't be
    > travelling to the consulate (I could if I absolutely had to, but I wouldn't be able
    > to stay for long - I've used up all my vacation for the year spending time with my
    > fiancee, and I can't take leave without pay). My fiancee will be doing all of the
    > work save for the I-134, and since I've already started working on giving up
    > control of my finances and thinking of them as our finances (although I still have
    > a long way to go), I have no problem with her seeing it. Thanks for the
    > clarification.
    > > The original post was titled "NSC and discrimination". IMHO, it does not on the
    > > basis of nationality, only on the USCs who must go through them.
    > I think it was a title that just go snagged from another thread. I agree with your
    > assertion, although I do think it would be reasonable to say that the existence of
    > widely varying procedures at the consulates does in effect discriminate on the
    > basis of nationality (I'm thinking, in particular, of Mumbai). I am so glad we
    > will be working through Bucharest, which seems to have a good reputation for being
    > efficient and humane. My fiancee did find out recently that the embassy in
    > Chisinau will be the one that sends her packet 3 at the direction of the one in
    > Bucharest, so it sounds like they've also tried to mitigate any problems posed by
    > the mail.
    > --Toby Everett

Old Aug 27th 2002, 3:17 am
Toby Everett

"Gabriela" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Oh I get it that your fiance is from Romania cause you are talking about the
    > Bucarest Consulate.I am also from Romania ...may I ask from where exactly....wich
    > town I mean?Im from Constanta....when she will have her interview at hte embassy?
She's actually from Moldova (the republic, not the region), but the US Consulate in
Chisinau doesn't do K-1 visas, so the interview will be in Bucharest. At this point,
we're still waiting on the Nebraska Service Center (124 days since NOA1 and
counting), so we can only hope that we will be approved soon and can then start
waiting for Bucharest to receive the petition.

--Toby Everett

Old Aug 28th 2002, 2:12 am
Gabriela

Oh I see...well its close to Romania I hope that you will get your aprouval soon
as I hope we will get ours too...we are at 107 day and counting :| Good luck to you
and your fiancee...and to all of us!!

"Toby Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > "Gabriela" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Oh I get it that your fiance is from Romania cause you are talking about
the
    > > Bucarest Consulate.I am also from Romania ...may I ask from where exactly....wich
    > > town I mean?Im from Constanta....when she will have her interview at hte embassy?
    > She's actually from Moldova (the republic, not the region), but the US Consulate in
    > Chisinau doesn't do K-1 visas, so the interview will be in Bucharest. At this
    > point, we're still waiting on the Nebraska Service Center (124 days since NOA1 and
    > counting), so we can only hope that we will be approved soon and can then start
    > waiting for Bucharest to receive the petition.
    > --Toby Everett