NO Interview Date

Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NO Interview Date

Originally Posted by newenglander
I've thought of getting one of our state representatives involved but the lawyer said they won't do anything for non-immigrant cases like a K-1. I've read that online somewhere too.

We've been furious at the lawyer several times over the past 8 months. This isn't her full time job but she does tend to just drop the ball.

I'll wait for a reply to my email to the embassy. If something can't be done through them, I think I'll call the DOS. Maybe I'll try the congressman too but from what I've been told they can't help.

From what I've read, the assumption that they can't/won't help with a K1 is not correct. I think I've read of a few folks on here getting help in a few instances. My fave saying is: you don't ask, you don't get. You'll never know if they can help, if you never ask for it.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... the lawyer said they won't do anything for non-immigrant cases like a K-1.
The representatives don't usually care about the immigrant. However, they *do* care about the US citizen who will likely vote for the other guy next time around. At any rate, your lawyer is clearly wrong. When our K-1 visa ran into some issues, Sheila wrote to her state senator and he contacted immigration. He then, personally, called Sheila to let her know of the outcome.

She's only a beginning lawyer, that's why she isn't charging us very much ...
You get what you pay for... and your results certainly seem to support that statement. Hiring an inexperienced attorney was your choice.

Ian
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

From what I've read, the assumption that they can't/won't help with a K1 is not correct. I think I've read of a few folks on here getting help in a few instances. My fave saying is: you don't ask, you don't get. You'll never know if they can help, if you never ask for it.

It's my last resort if the embassy can't help and the Dept of State can't help. I'm just hanging on until I get the email reply from the embassy -- I'm wishing they would say it's not lost and he can come ahead for the interview--soon.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought of getting one of our state representatives involved but the lawyer said they won't do anything for non-immigrant cases like a K-1. I've read that online somewhere too.

We've been furious at the lawyer several times over the past 8 months. This isn't her full time job but she does tend to just drop the ball.

I'll wait for a reply to my email to the embassy. If something can't be done through them, I think I'll call the DOS. Maybe I'll try the congressman too but from what I've been told they can't help.
hunh, sounds like you don't get along with your lawyer too well!

What she said about your reps not getting involved is NOT true; there are countless stories in the online immigration sites about people getting help from their rep.

You DO need to complete a privacy release form for each representative's office.. that is one House Member and two Senators. Often, you'll find that one has a better 'help' record than the others. You'll be working with the immigration liaison, not the representative directly. This person should have some familiarity with the system, and they have access to the various offices that we do not have as regular folk.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: NO Interview Date

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Have to agree with you. In my case, the senator called the US embassy to find out what was happening, and to move things along.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Redwing

Have to agree with you. In my case, the senator called the US embassy to find out what was happening, and to move things along.
That's GOOD news! I already know which rep is the one to work with and I've got his phone number all set. THANK YOU both for the info about the gov helping. I had wanted to do this all along. Now I'll just wait and see what the embassy email has to say and take it from there.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Labhrais is an unknown quantity at this point

...At any rate, the man in the embassy told Pete back in September that everything was there and all was in order, just wait for the interview date.
It's not outside the realm of possibility that it's just a matter of waiting until the interview date. It's not uncommon for it to be 60 -75 days between all the items in Packet 3 being accepted and the scheduling of an interview date.

Good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Labhrais
It's not outside the realm of possibility that it's just a matter of waiting until the interview date. It's not uncommon for it to be 60 -75 days between all the items in Packet 3 being accepted and the scheduling of an interview date.

Good luck.
True, I've read that also. It seems that people who send their packet in a lot sooner have already had their interview though. I'm worried. Maybe, as you suggest, it's just taking its normal course. When he rang them last week and they said they had no record of him that got me really worried.

I wish the email from the embassy would come. I know they're closed for Veterans Day so I guess I have to give them until around Friday to respond. It's been so stressful and now this latest suspense is killing me.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Well, tomorrow will be Friday and no response from the embassy yet.

Does anyone know -- does it matter whether my fiance in the UK sent the email or if I did it from here in the US? I sent this one using the code that he got when he phoned them.

I have contacted my congressman's office and they said they WILL contact London. I won't be happy until Pete has his interview date though.