Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

My journey to Freedomland!

My journey to Freedomland!

Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:26 am
Just Joined

jackieowens is just really nicejackieowens is just really nicejackieowens is just really nicejackieowens is just really nicejackieowens is just really nicejackieowens is just really nicejackieowens is just really nicejackieowens is just really nice
Default My journey to Freedomland!

I was granted PR status last week. Phew !

Application sent on end of April 2008
Received working permit end of July 2008
Interview on November 6 2008 - approved teehee

Okay I have a non-related noob question but I hope I can get some help here.
I just got a job offer and I calculated the taxes that I have to pay. I have to say it makes me mad and I couldn't believe it (yes this will be my first job in the states) But I am still very confused about the matter. So I am just wondering since you are married and being a resident do you get any tax exemption at all?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My journey to Freedomland!

Tax exemption for being married? Not sure what you mean. When you and your spouse file your federal and state income taxes next year, you will be given a personal deduction for yourself and if you file joint, one for both of you. If you file married, separate there is only the deduction for yourself.

There is also on top of that the standard deduction or if you have a lot of allowable expenses over and above the standard deduction amount you can do an itemized deduction.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My journey to Freedomland!

Originally Posted by jackieowens
I was granted PR status last week. Phew !

Application sent on end of April 2008
Received working permit end of July 2008
Interview on November 6 2008 - approved teehee

Okay I have a non-related noob question but I hope I can get some help here.
I just got a job offer and I calculated the taxes that I have to pay. I have to say it makes me mad and I couldn't believe it (yes this will be my first job in the states) But I am still very confused about the matter. So I am just wondering since you are married and being a resident do you get any tax exemption at all?
You can't really calculate your tax burden that way. As Rete says, all the adjustments happen when you reconcile by filing your tax return.

Look in the USA forum here for lots of tax info, and in the wiki.
Look up turboTax and run a 'dummy' return in their online program; it will give you a more realistic tax expectation.