Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Need some advice please

Need some advice please

Old May 16th 2013, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some advice please

Originally Posted by kgeargeoura
I've had my green card since 2005.

Officially and technically, when can I apply for US citizenship?
There's no such thing as "technically". You are eligible to apply for citizenship 5 years (less 90 days) from the "resident since" date on your green card. If you are now past that 5 year date, do it. The sooner you become a USC, the sooner your future wife will be able to get an immigrant visa.

Ian
Old May 16th 2013, 4:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's no such thing as "technically". You are eligible to apply for citizenship 5 years (less 90 days) from the "resident since" date on your green card. If you are now past that 5 year date, do it. The sooner you become a USC, the sooner your future wife will be able to get an immigrant visa.

Ian
.... unless he otherwise doesn't qualify (too much time spent outside the USA, or hasn't lived at current location long enough to file the N-400 yet, etc.)

I suggest that the OP file an N-400 ASAP, if he's eligible, and then don't file the I-130 for his wife until he's a USC (takes about 6 months total from filing N-400 to oath ceremony). That way, his wife will fall into the immediate relative category and will get her immigrant visa in about 8 - 10 months.

THAT would be the quickest way of getting her here.

Rene
Old May 16th 2013, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
.... unless he otherwise doesn't qualify (too much time spent outside the USA, or hasn't lived at current location long enough to file the N-400 yet, etc.)

I suggest that the OP file an N-400 ASAP, if he's eligible, and then don't file the I-130 for his wife until he's a USC (takes about 6 months total from filing N-400 to oath ceremony). That way, his wife will fall into the immediate relative category and will get her immigrant visa in about 8 - 10 months.

THAT would be the quickest way of getting her here.

Rene
Only if he signed up for the selective service if an LPR between the age of 18-26 otherwise he has to wait until age 31 before he can be naturalized. But I agree that naturalization has been fairly quick recently (sometimes less than 4 months depending on the location) so that is probably the fastest way and he may possibly be naturalized before he gets married.

Last edited by Michael; May 16th 2013 at 5:33 pm.
Old May 16th 2013, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

kgeargeoura is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so here's the story.

My parents and I all got our green cards in 2005. I was at the time still studying at university in the UK. And completed my postgraduate in 2008, I then came back for a while and was then offered a job, which was in the UK.

Also when I arrived in 2005, I think I did sign up for selective service? Not sure.

However, I had permanent address here in the US the whole time and regularly came back. And now I am permanently back in the US for the foreseenable future.

Last edited by kgeargeoura; May 16th 2013 at 5:43 pm.
Old May 16th 2013, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

I can't remember it was definitely something to do with being called up for service. But not actually voluntarily signing up, if that makes sense.
Old May 16th 2013, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Use this link to determine if you registered for the Selective Service.

https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx
Old May 16th 2013, 6:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so here's the story.

My parents and I all got our green cards in 2005. I was at the time still studying at university in the UK. And completed my postgraduate in 2008, I then came back for a while and was then offered a job, which was in the UK.
Ah, so it sounds like a lot of the past 8 years was spent in the UK, not the USA, so maybe you don't qualify to file the N-400 just yet. The only way to know is to go to that link I posted, go to the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, and fill out the chart in that publication to determine if you're currently eligible for citizenship. From what you've said here, without specific dates, we can't tell you.

And now I am permanently back in the US for the foreseenable future.
How long exactly have you been continuously inside the USA, without going back to the UK for long stretches?

Rene
Old May 16th 2013, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

This time around since February.
Old May 16th 2013, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
Use this link to determine if you registered for the Selective Service.

https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx
Yup I did register for selective service on 6/22/2005. I'm now 30 years old though. Not sure if it makes a difference.
Old May 16th 2013, 6:30 pm

This time around since February.
February 2013?? Ugh. Sounds like you have a long way to go until you're eligible to file the N-400, but do the worksheet anyway, just to make sure.

Rene
Old May 16th 2013, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yup I did register for selective service on 6/22/2005. I'm now 30 years old though. Not sure if it makes a difference.
At least since you did register, you will be able to qualify for government jobs (Civil Servants, JPL, Lawrence Livermore Labs, NASA, etc.) when you become a US citizen.
Old May 16th 2013, 6:31 pm

As long as you registered when you were supposed to, you're fine.

Rene
Old May 16th 2013, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
February 2013?? Ugh. Sounds like you have a long way to go until you're eligible to file the N-400, but do the worksheet anyway, just to make sure.

Rene
Cool thanks.
Old May 16th 2013, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
At least since you did register, you will be able to qualify for government jobs (Civil Servants, JPL, Lawrence Livermore Labs, NASA, etc.) when you become a US citizen.
Wow ok. That's nice to know