Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

National ID Number on DS156 for UK?

National ID Number on DS156 for UK?

Old Apr 30th 2002, 3:40 am
Ben

Default National ID Number on DS156 for UK?

hi does anyone out there know what needs to go in the National Identification Number
space on the DS-156 form for a UK citizen? I heard this may be the National Insurance
number? or possibly passport number? thanks in advance ben

Old Apr 30th 2002, 4:42 am
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: National ID Number on DS156 for UK?

I think that you are right and it is the national insurance number, i believe i put mine there
Old Apr 30th 2002, 10:10 am
Mister Heartbre

[email protected] (ben) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> hi does anyone out there know what needs to go in the National Identification
    > Number space on the DS-156 form for a UK citizen? I heard this may be the National
    > Insurance number? or possibly passport number? thanks in advance ben

UK citizens don't have a National Identification Number - you can put 'none' in that
box. That's what I did, and I got my K-1 yesterday.

Dave.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 10:40 am
Jb

ben wrote:
    >
    > hi does anyone out there know what needs to go in the National Identification
    > Number space on the DS-156 form for a UK citizen? I heard this may be the National
    > Insurance number? or possibly passport number? thanks in advance ben

This question has been asked here several times with no answer as far as I'm aware.
No one seems to know what a National Identification Number
is.

Do not put an NI or passport number. As you might imagine the INS does not know or
care at all about your National Insurance number. Using an NI number on an INS form
would be like putting a US social security number on a UK government document.

I would put 'none' or leave it blank, though most people would warn you never to
leave a blank on an immigration form. I'm not that paranoid and we left a couple of
blanks and were approved. I think the people who deal with these forms have seen them
enough times to know when a required piece of info is missing.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 5:10 pm
Jennifer

jb <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > ben wrote:
    > >
    > > hi does anyone out there know what needs to go in the National Identification
    > > Number space on the DS-156 form for a UK citizen? I heard this may be the
    > > National Insurance number? or possibly passport number? thanks in advance ben
    >
    > This question has been asked here several times with no answer as far as I'm aware.
    > No one seems to know what a National Identification Number
    > is.
    >
    > Do not put an NI or passport number. As you might imagine the INS does not know or
    > care at all about your National Insurance number. Using an NI number on an INS form
    > would be like putting a US social security number on a UK government document.
    >
    > I would put 'none' or leave it blank, though most people would warn you never to
    > leave a blank on an immigration form. I'm not that paranoid and we left a couple of
    > blanks and were approved. I think the people who deal with these forms have seen
    > them enough times to know when a required piece of info is missing.

Yes, I was actually one of the people who inquired about this very same thing...and
was never able to get a straight answer about it.

Peter is in the Netherlands, and they have a social fiscal number (or something
like that) over there - basically the equivalent of a social security number in the
US. After much debate...whether to put None, or Unknown, or leave it blank - he put
that number...

we're still waiting for an interview date, so we're not sure if it was
correct or not...

~jennifer

Old May 2nd 2002, 7:40 pm
Rick

I believe this number to be the 'Police National Computer Identification Number'
shown on a positive response from the UK National Identification Service, the
so-called 'Police Certificate' with two blue bands issued in the UK. If you have no
criminal record, you should have no number, hence the INS know that having a number
means they need to look a little more closely at you...

Rick

[email protected] (Jennifer) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > jb <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > ben wrote:
    > > >
    > > > hi does anyone out there know what needs to go in the National Identification
    > > > Number space on the DS-156 form for a UK citizen? I heard this may be the
    > > > National Insurance number? or possibly passport number? thanks in advance ben
    > >
    > > This question has been asked here several times with no answer as far as I'm
    > > aware. No one seems to know what a National Identification Number
    > > is.
    > >
    > > Do not put an NI or passport number. As you might imagine the INS does not know
    > > or care at all about your National Insurance number. Using an NI number on an INS
    > > form would be like putting a US social security number on a UK government
    > > document.
    > >
    > > I would put 'none' or leave it blank, though most people would warn you never to
    > > leave a blank on an immigration form. I'm not that paranoid and we left a couple
    > > of blanks and were approved. I think the people who deal with these forms have
    > > seen them enough times to know when a required piece of info is missing.
    >
    > Yes, I was actually one of the people who inquired about this very same thing...and
    > was never able to get a straight answer about it.
    >
    > Peter is in the Netherlands, and they have a social fiscal number (or something
    > like that) over there - basically the equivalent of a social security number in the
    > US. After much debate...whether to put None, or Unknown, or leave it blank - he put
    > that number...
    >
    > we're still waiting for an interview date, so we're not sure if it was correct
    > or not...
    >
    > ~jennifer

Old May 2nd 2002, 9:40 pm
Jb

Rick wrote:
    >
    > I believe this number to be the 'Police National Computer Identification Number'
    > shown on a positive response from the UK National Identification Service, the
    > so-called 'Police Certificate' with two blue bands issued in the UK. If you have no
    > criminal record, you should have no number, hence the INS know that having a number
    > means they need to look a little more closely at you...

But the DS-156 is used for several visa types and is not country specific. Why would
a UK-only code number be used in question 10 on that form?

Old May 2nd 2002, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Dave - the correct answer is "none". We don't have national ID cards, therefore no national ID number. If we had such a thing, then we would put it on the application for police report and passport applications, right? The national insurance number is just used for tax and SS benefits - what could the US Embassy possibly access with this info? It's none of their business...