Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Originally Posted by Mick1935
My Wife recieved Work Card yesterday! Permission to work.

Next Tues; the GC Interview?

What's that about? No complaints though.
The AOS cases are fast now, huh?
It's pretty common for the EAD (work card) to come close to or just before the AOS interview date.

Good luck for next week!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to ask this here, but could some one just remind me what we have to do once a citizen about going to SS office and updating......I think I read that here some a while back.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Sorry to ask this here, but could some one just remind me what we have to do once a citizen about going to SS office and updating......I think I read that here some a while back.
Once you have your naturalization certificate, take it to the SSA, tell them you are now a USC, and have them update their records... this'll take them about 5 minutes and you will likely receive a new SS card in the mail. The other two things you'll want to do is 1) register to vote; and 2) get a US passport.

Ian
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Ian, got the passport but do need to update SS thanks!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

za584 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by za584
Here is my story---

I applied for citizenship in Aug 2008, interview letter received in dec 2008
and my interview was on Jan 14, 2009.

Everything went well during my interview, he asked me few questions about US history and i answered them correctly but he walked out from his room and came back after 15 min and i knew that he checked my name which always comes with a +ve hit (dont know why???) and same thing happend with during my GC process and even till now i am waiting for their response. I called USCIS 1000 times but they always send me a letter to wait, i even went to local office but they don't have any information and same thing they are still working on it. I wrote a letter to ombusdment and they told me the same thing...

Not sure, what should i do now ? It has been 2.5 yrs now and still pending?

Any help or suggestion? thanks in advance

Yesterday i had an info pass appointment. I met an immigration officer, he simply said that he can not do anything cause my case has transfered to fbi name check and he printed some fbi name check documents from internet and gave it to me, i read few lines and asked him who should i contact ? he was like oh if you have more questions wait cause this is lunch time come back around 1 and i will let you meet another officer. I knew that he had no clue what is he talking about, anyway i waited for an hour and met another officer, he informed me that he followed up with the officer who has my case and i was told that i should be hearing shortly. I asked him what does shortly mean? cause my case is pending for almost 3 years but he didnt tell me anything and i also have no evidence that i had an info pass appointment yesterday cause they took my info pass document. An officer said that last time they worked on your case on July 6th.

Still not sure either FBI name check has my file? or my file came back from fbi name check and they are still revewing it? any suggestion?? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by za584
Still not sure either FBI name check has my file? or my file came back from fbi name check and they are still revewing it?
It's probably one of these. There's no way to know, and there's no way to find out.

Ian
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Well, we went to the GC Interview, of my Wifes, with my Wife today, only snag, on her Birth Cert; her two names were reversed, from the way she used them! Her Brit & Canadian Passports were that way, but the Birth Cert. was not! So one more Check? Prior to issue of GC, and when it comes?

The names would be same as the Birth Cert; "You can change them back when you get your Citizenship!" In 3 years. She still has the recently arrived Permission to Work Card. Two weeks for a letter? My US Passport, he just glanced at.

The Interviewer was being evaluated? It seemed, two young Ladies sat behind us, during the million questions.

We have been married 18 years! My Wife is a calm person, she is not worried! I said why can you not enter the info; on her passport like happened to me? he met us in the passage on the way out, "It is done, but I have to check if any time the entry was as the Birth Certificate?"

They are the boss, will have to wait.

What say you Ian?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mick1935
What say you Ian?
I agree with your wife. No need to worry... it's a non-issue.

Ian
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:42 pm
Your Fellow American

Scotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to all

All done and dusted. Got to the interview 45 mins early and was seen within 15 minutes of arriving. IO was friendly and polite but clearly doing his job. Swore me in, Checked our tax forms for the last three years and asked for something to show that me and my wife lived together. I showed him a joint bank account and he was cool with that.
He went through the application form line by line (about 4 minutes) double checking my answers. Asked me to confirm my out of country dates and had me sign my photographs.
Next he asked the civics questions and then had me read a sentence then write another one.
A couple more minutes of entering stuff and he shook my hand as a fellow USC. Oath ceremony is on Friday morning just to seal the deal.

Overall feeling was that he wanted me to pass and I think that he appreciated that I had prepared all the stuff in advance and had all my ducks in a row. Whole thing took less than 20 minutes and I was out before I was scheduled to go in.

So there it is peeps.. A new USC... I'm taking Friday off work and me, my wife, a couple of close friends and their kids are trooping off down to the oath ceremony.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotz
All done and dusted. Got to the interview 45 mins early and was seen within 15 minutes of arriving. IO was friendly and polite but clearly doing his job. Swore me in, Checked our tax forms for the last three years and asked for something to show that me and my wife lived together. I showed him a joint bank account and he was cool with that.
He went through the application form line by line (about 4 minutes) double checking my answers. Asked me to confirm my out of country dates and had me sign my photographs.
Next he asked the civics questions and then had me read a sentence then write another one.
A couple more minutes of entering stuff and he shook my hand as a fellow USC. Oath ceremony is on Friday morning just to seal the deal.

Overall feeling was that he wanted me to pass and I think that he appreciated that I had prepared all the stuff in advance and had all my ducks in a row.

So there it is peeps.. A new USC... I'm taking Friday off work and me, my wife, a couple of close friends and their kids are trooping off down to the oath ceremony.
Nice one! Congratulations
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Overall feeling was that he wanted me to pass and I think that he appreciated that I had prepared all the stuff in advance and had all my ducks in a row. Whole thing took less than 20 minutes and I was out before I was scheduled to go in.

So Happy for you Scotz,

If the Post Office people are there, with a couple of Cheques, you can pay for your passport, and if you want your passport card!!!

Download the forms prior to going.

Great Stuff. So Happy for you!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 11:38 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not due to file until September, but I'm already doing the civics revision (because i'm a dumb blonde and it takes me forever to learn stuff).... I found a great App for my Ipad and my Droid - its called 'free US citzenship test' and its by Colin Gordon.

You can either do flash cards or multiple choice, and it keeps track of your answers, telling you what % you get right..... Its pretty funny at work to play it in the break room with all the Americans and i'm there getting a consistent 90% while they look at me blankly at each question
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 3:59 pm
Your Fellow American

Scotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to allScotz is a name known to all

So this chapter of my book of life is over. Went to the oath ceremony yesterday and am happy to announce that I was sworn in as a US Citizen.

There were 100 of us from 30 different countries. All dressed up in our Sunday best in the hot Florida sun. The USCIS people were warm and friendly and the ceremony was quite touching. We were surrounded by happy smiling families and friends. A surge of positive energy.

Applied for my passport and registered to vote. Will go to SSA when my passport gets here as they took my naturalization certificate with the passport application.

Impressions... I feel different.... I became aware last night that I have been transient in spirit since I left the UK 14 years ago and I feel for the first time in years that I 'belong' somewhere again. The anchor has dropped for me in pleasant waters and I can feel the immigration stress ebbing away.

So Mick.. Fiddlers is calling for a pinta!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:07 pm
Your Fellow American

Originally Posted by clarissageo
I'm not due to file until September, but I'm already doing the civics revision (because i'm a dumb blonde and it takes me forever to learn stuff)....

Clarissa - The civics test is a dawdle.. don't overdo it. I put the disc they give you in my car and listened to it to and from work (25 mins). I was going to do it for a couple of weeks but by Friday It was burnt into my head so I went back to Howard Stern.

If Jose Canseco can pass it believe me you can too .... no matter how blonde

Last edited by Scotz; Jul 23rd 2011 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

So this chapter of my book of life is over. Went to the oath ceremony yesterday and am happy to announce that I was sworn in as a US Citizen.

There were 100 of us from 30 different countries. All dressed up in our Sunday best in the hot Florida sun. The USCIS people were warm and friendly and the ceremony was quite touching. We were surrounded by happy smiling families and friends. A surge of positive energy.

Applied for my passport and registered to vote. Will go to SSA when my passport gets here as they took my naturalization certificate with the passport application.

Impressions... I feel different.... I became aware last night that I have been transient in spirit since I left the UK 14 years ago and I feel for the first time in years that I 'belong' somewhere again. The anchor has dropped for me in pleasant waters and I can feel the immigration stress ebbing away.

So Mick.. Fiddlers is calling for a pinta!
Wait till that passport comes back, talk about feeling like you belong! Put rubber bands around the back of it tight, stops it being so wide open all the time, but I do know what you feel, me too!

Give me shout on the Fiddlers excursion, bring your self satisfied smile!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.