British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/n-400-post-your-individual-journey-please-v-2011-a-703810/)

Maggs Jan 11th 2011 2:45 am

N-400 Post your individual journey please! v.2011

Moderator Note:
This thread is split from the original http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659069
Sorry if your initial post got left over in the old thread, please carry on here!

---------------------------------------------------------
My son has his N400 interview on Wed 12th Jan in Chicago. :)

bequibar Jan 11th 2011 3:12 am

Re: N-400 Post your individual journey please!

Update: Last week I got an email saying I would get an RFE in the mail. Waiting to see what it is they want.

And then today I got my biometrics appointment in the mail. My appointment is set for February 2nd but I'll just show up early and hope they take me. They usually do.

ian-mstm Jan 11th 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by bequibar (Post 9092351)
Update: Last week I got an email saying I would get an RFE in the mail. Waiting to see what it is they want.

They want biometrics... and now you've got your appointment letter.

Ian

meauxna Jan 11th 2011 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by bequibar (Post 9092351)

And then today I got my biometrics appointment in the mail. My appointment is set for February 2nd but I'll just show up early and hope they take me. They usually do.

ditto what Ian says... the RFE is for biometrics. Onward! :D

charleygirl Jan 11th 2011 9:23 pm

Maggs, good luck to your son for tomorrow.

Passport arrived in 2 weeks......and that included the Christmas holidays too.

Maggs Jan 11th 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks. He's excited and nervous for tomorrow. He wants to join the military as soon as he is a USC!

Originally Posted by charleygirl (Post 9094321)
Maggs, good luck to your son for tomorrow.

Passport arrived in 2 weeks......and that included the Christmas holidays too.

Sujan Jan 12th 2011 3:36 am

I am sure this has been asked many times before, but how long after the N-400 biometrics appointment have folks usually received the interview appointment letter? We haven't heard from USCIS after the biometric fingerprinting on Dec 8th.

Also, the online case status still shows the RFE needed (showing since Nov 16). I thought the RFE was probably for the biometrics and that is standard for everyone, but now that is obviously done but still no change in the case status :/

SultanOfSwing Jan 12th 2011 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Sujan (Post 9094922)
I am sure this has been asked many times before, but how long after the N-400 biometrics appointment have folks usually received the interview appointment letter? We haven't heard from USCIS after the biometric fingerprinting on Dec 8th.

Also, the online case status still shows the RFE needed (showing since Nov 16). I thought the RFE was probably for the biometrics and that is standard for everyone, but now that is obviously done but still no change in the case status :/

It was about 6-8 weeks for me, 2 months all told until the actual interview. Chicago office - they're all different.

You're well within minimums. Incidentally, I think someone on here has been a citizen for a few years and are still showing an RFE. Could be wrong but I remember something along those lines.

ian-mstm Jan 12th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9094951)
I think someone on here has been a citizen for a few years and are still showing an RFE. Could be wrong but I remember something along those lines.

Me, probably. My online status still shows a pending adjustment of status, and I've been a USC since 2004.

The online updates are a highly unreliable system.

Ian

SultanOfSwing Jan 12th 2011 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9095765)
Me, probably. My online status still shows a pending adjustment of status, and I've been a USC since 2004.

The online updates are a highly unreliable system.

Ian

Aye, I think it was you now I come to think of it. I must check mine to see what it says.

Maggs Jan 12th 2011 8:09 pm

My son had his interview today in Chicago and passed no problem. His Oath Ceremony is on 24th Jan. :thumbup:

The only problem we had was getting through traffic in the taxi cab because there are quite a few roads closed in downtown Chicago for roadworks. So if anyone is going, get there early. We got to 101 Congress Pkwy Immigration building just on time but then there was an awful line for security to get into the building that took about 20 minutes to clear.

Maggie

charleygirl Jan 12th 2011 11:00 pm

Hey congrats to your son!! How old is he?

Maggs Jan 13th 2011 12:54 pm

He's 26 now. He came on a K4 when IV's were taking 2 years to process, before even getting the green card, to start the 5 year wait .:)

dbark Jan 13th 2011 7:22 pm

Congratulations to your son! :)

Maggs Jan 14th 2011 2:45 pm

Thank you and to every one else. :)

Originally Posted by dbark (Post 9099390)
Congratulations to your son! :)

bequibar Jan 15th 2011 12:57 am

Ian and Meauxna: Seriously? They call the biometrics an RFE? I don't remember getting an RFE for biometrics before, but this is good news.

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Maggs: Congratulations!

ian-mstm Jan 15th 2011 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by bequibar (Post 9102481)
Ian and Meauxna: Seriously? They call the biometrics an RFE?

Think about it for a moment... and think what an RFE actually is. An RFE means they need something that they don't have... in this case, your biometrics. :)

Ian

meauxna Jan 15th 2011 4:29 pm

Ian and Meauxna: Seriously? They call the biometrics an RFE? I don't remember getting an RFE for biometrics before, but this is good news.

Yeah, it's come up since your last bios.. tick tock, nothing but waiting. :)

Maggs Jan 15th 2011 5:36 pm

Maggs: Congratulations!

Thanks Bequibar. I remember you too. Good luck. :)

snowbunny Jan 21st 2011 7:52 pm

....and today is F-day eligibility for my husband. :)

Poppy girl Jan 22nd 2011 12:57 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 9119215)

F DAY!!!!

snowbunny Jan 22nd 2011 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9119736)
F DAY!!!!

I was trying to think of something besides D-day..... F for First day to File, not the F word we normally think of :lol: damn, I was at work, I was thinking too logically. Anyway - carry on everyone.

Poppy girl Jan 22nd 2011 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 9119957)
I was trying to think of something besides D-day..... F for First day to File, not the F word we normally think of :lol: damn, I was at work, I was thinking too logically. Anyway - carry on everyone.

Well get him to file ASAP then get it over with.

candy wy. Jan 22nd 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 9119215)

wow is it 5 years already? hate how time goes by so quick

jon_nyc Jan 22nd 2011 7:21 pm

Applied on 8/24/2010 and did fingerprints on 9/24/2010. Received yellow letter dated 10/23/2010 recommending I bring driver's license to interview - but no date, and have heard nothing since. In NYC, should I be worried or is there anything I should/could do at this point?

Poppy girl Jan 22nd 2011 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by jon_nyc (Post 9121168)
Applied on 8/24/2010 and did fingerprints on 9/24/2010. Received yellow letter dated 10/23/2010 recommending I bring driver's license to interview - but no date, and have heard nothing since. In NYC, should I be worried or is there anything I should/could do at this point?

I would not be worried never heard of bring your DL ......I would get an infopass and see whats going to on rest your own mind!

Maggs Jan 23rd 2011 7:55 pm

They asked my son to take his drivers license to his interview. He had the interview letter about 3 - 4 weeks after he received the letter telling him what documents to take. This is in Chicago, so I don't know how long it takes in New York, but as suggested, make an info pass appointment to find out what is happening. Good luck.

He has his oath ceremony tomorrow!! Yay!

Originally Posted by jon_nyc (Post 9121168)

Mick1935 Jan 23rd 2011 9:04 pm

Sent mine last Saturday, it arrived on Thursday the 20th in Texas.. I tracked via UPS Tracker! I even know who received it, send him Chocolates? Maybe not!

Poppy girl Jan 25th 2011 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Maggs (Post 9123264)
They asked my son to take his drivers license to his interview. He had the interview letter about 3 - 4 weeks after he received the letter telling him what documents to take. This is in Chicago, so I don't know how long it takes in New York, but as suggested, make an info pass appointment to find out what is happening. Good luck.

He has his oath ceremony tomorrow!! Yay!

Fair enough the DL with other documents but not just the DL right!!:confused:

Maggs Jan 25th 2011 1:44 pm

Oh, yes, yes, yes!! :) Sorry, didn't make that clear!

My son had his Oath Ceremony yesterday in Chicago. Another new USC! :thumbsup: He is very happy. Next step for him is a passport.

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9126274)
Fair enough the DL with other documents but not just the DL right!!:confused:

Maggs Jan 25th 2011 1:45 pm

P.S. I love Basil Brush! :thumbup:

Poppy girl Jan 25th 2011 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Maggs (Post 9127502)
P.S. I love Basil Brush! :thumbup:

I still have a stuffed original toy of Basil back in the UK :)

Jaxbar Jan 31st 2011 2:11 am

I think I'm ready! filled the form in and just need to get the photos done. I have been putting this off for so long. I have been concerned that timelines would conflict with travel plans.

I am due to be away doing training in California for 2 weeks at the end of July, does this sound like a safe bet along with current processing times?

TracyTN Jan 31st 2011 1:43 pm

Thought I should mention - hubby received his US passport on Friday. It only took about a week and a half after he applied so they're really moving fast right now.

Poppy girl Jan 31st 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass (Post 9140544)
I think I'm ready! filled the form in and just need to get the photos done. I have been putting this off for so long. I have been concerned that timelines would conflict with travel plans.

I am due to be away doing training in California for 2 weeks at the end of July, does this sound like a safe bet along with current processing times?

Oh yes it sounds about the right time frame with a bit of luck you will be done and dusted by then :D

jaxslad Jan 31st 2011 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass (Post 9140544)

16/20 wks looks about the norm from start to finish, so june-ish you should be done if there's no hipcups on your application.:fingerscrossed:

Poppy girl Jan 31st 2011 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by jaxslad (Post 9141742)
16/20 wks looks about the norm from start to finish, so june-ish you should be done if there's no hipcups on your application.:fingerscrossed:

Many of us have been coming in around the 10 to 12 weeks timeframe ;)

SultanOfSwing Jan 31st 2011 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jaxslad (Post 9141742)

Maybe even earlier. I applied in March last year and my oath ceremony was July 6th.

Different offices will have different times, but Chicago seemed pretty typical compared to others who applied at the same time as me.

jaxslad Jan 31st 2011 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9141748)
Many of us have been coming in around the 10 to 12 weeks timeframe ;)

wow 10/12 wks that's fast..i know some places do same day oath (not many) but still
Nice to know where your $680 is going huh ;)

Ive got my Bio in 2 wks...wonder if i could speed things up by showing my Bio letter and getting that done out the way.

Poppy girl Jan 31st 2011 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by jaxslad (Post 9141768)
wow 10/12 wks that's fast..i know some places do same day oath (not many) but still
Nice to know where your $680 is going huh ;)

Ive got my Bio in 2 wks...wonder if i could speed things up by showing my Bio letter and getting that done out the way.

Not really sure what you mean!! :)