Moving to the US

Old Jan 10th 2020, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US

Originally Posted by Phathamster
Worth obtaining UK citizenship for your partner before moving, gives some security and options should circumstances change.

The OP says he and wife have been in the UK for only about 2 years..... she is not eligible for citizenship for another 3 years.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The OP says he and wife have been in the UK for only about 2 years..... she is not eligible for citizenship for another 3 years.
im not that aware of uk citizenship requirements but i thought it was possible to do a two year route then wait 12 months?

certainly worth looking into
Old Jan 10th 2020, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
im not that aware of uk citizenship requirements but i thought it was possible to do a two year route then wait 12 months?

certainly worth looking into
If the OP's wife is in the UK on a spouse visa, she needs to have lived in the UK for 5 years before she qualifies for ILR/citizenship
Old Jan 11th 2020, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If the OP's wife is in the UK on a spouse visa, she needs to have lived in the UK for 5 years before she qualifies for ILR/citizenship
.....and pay thousands for the privelige
Old Jan 14th 2020, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Gixxerboy_999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for the replies they really have helped clear up a lot. On another note if we're successful do you know how long I'd have to wait to apply for US citizenship?
Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

As a spouse of a USC, it's three years, but you can apply 90 days before this threshold.

Regular Green Card holders must wait five years.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:09 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As a spouse of a USC, it's three years,
As long as you remain married to the same USC. If you get divorced, it reverts to 5.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Perfect thank you.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi, While looking over the requirements for the I130 forms again i noticed the following on the website:Special note for U.S. citizens residing in the United Kingdom or Ghana:

If you reside in country, we will continue to accept and adjudicate Forms I-130 until March 31, 2020. In this case, you do not need to establish exceptional circumstances (as listed in USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B, Chapter 3) for these offices to accept your Form I-130 petition.
I presume this means if we want to apply to the London embassy we must do so before this date otherwise we'll have to apply elsewhere? Just want to check I'm reading this right.
Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 5:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gixxerboy_999
Hi, While looking over the requirements for the I130 forms again i noticed the following on the website:Special note for U.S. citizens residing in the United Kingdom or Ghana:

If you reside in country, we will continue to accept and adjudicate Forms I-130 until March 31, 2020. In this case, you do not need to establish exceptional circumstances (as listed in USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B, Chapter 3) for these offices to accept your Form I-130 petition.
I presume this means if we want to apply to the London embassy we must do so before this date otherwise we'll have to apply elsewhere? Just want to check I'm reading this right.
Thanks.
Yes.

Rene