Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Are Moscow interviews on schedule?

Are Moscow interviews on schedule?

Old Sep 15th 2001, 5:50 am
R Haney

Hey folks, It's hard to stay focused after this past week, but my fiancee's scheduled
in mid October for her K-1 interview in Moscow and I'm concerned. Anybody heard about
schedules being changed or postponed in the consulates? She's getting nervous (and,
is actually afraid to come to America now...), and I'd like to give her some
reassurance. Thanks, and God bless our world now more than ever. ~Ralph Petaluma, CA

Old Sep 16th 2001, 6:26 am
Sthansard

I am facing a similar circumstance. My fiancee's interview is set for 10/3 in Moscow.
I received an email from her saying she doesn't want to fly into either NY or DC. I
looked at some other East Coast cities (Atlanta, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia,
Miami) and they all have connections through NY and/or DC.

I am planning on flying to Seattle to meet my fiancee' after her flight from Moscow
and then fly back to San Jose, CA together on American. The flight to SJ is 2 hours.

Steve [email protected]

Old Sep 16th 2001, 8:11 am
Michael Voight

StHansard wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Doesn't Delta fly SVO to Atlanta?

>
    >
    >
    >

Why doesn't she just take SU (Aeroflot) from Moscow to the west coast? Why is she
looking at flying into the East Coast if she is going to SJC??

That would add a lot of extra miles onto the flight rather than the routing over the
artic to SEA.

Michael

Old Sep 16th 2001, 11:45 pm
R Haney

I agree, flying Aeroflot to Seattle is the shortest, most direct flight to the west
coast- and the plane is full of Russian people (more relative
psychological comfort.) Can she clear INS in Seattle? Aeroflot flies Moscow to
Seattle every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; I would assume that hasn't changed
since the tragedy back east. Ironically, I think Aeroflot is probably the safest
option available right now- though, after flying them last June, I swore I'd either
go first-class next time, or fly Delta... ~Ralph

Old Sep 17th 2001, 12:54 am
Michael Voight

R Haney wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

If she is changing airlines in Seattle than she clears INS there. If she is flying
Aeroflot continuing to SFO, she clears at SFO. While the plane is on the ground in
Seattle, there is a locked lounge she can use if she is continuing on the plane to
SFO. The other option for someone on the west coast would be Aeroflot to LAX.

Michael

Old Sep 17th 2001, 1:43 am
R Haney

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I flew through Seattle from SFO when I went to Moscow. We
didn't switch planes either, just had a short layover. So the actual INS clearance
(admittance to the U.S.) will occur in San Francisco. So doesn't that flight plan
make a lot more sense for a final destination of San Jose? I don't understand why you
were considering eastern cities, unless you didn't want to use Aeroflot? (Given my
previous posting, you'll see I understand the Aeroflot concerns...) ~Ralph

Old Sep 17th 2001, 3:29 am
Michael Voight

R Haney wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Due to the time saved in flying to the west coast and the cheaper fares, I may
consider them again. Due to artic routes, the distance from Moscow to the west coast
isn't much further than the rest of the country.

Why I don't like them:

1. Seat assignment is at check in
2. Rear coach section (1/2 of coach??) didn't have lighting. It was a daylight
flight, but it is difficult to read in the center.
3. Some of the seats missing the small removable part head rest cushion.. Solution,
use a pillow over it.

4. Entertainment
5. Food
6. Smoking is permitted
7. Frequent flyer program requires you to mail in your request for a voucher and then
wait months for it.
8. No easy process to change flight schedule, even if they are the ones who canceled

Old Sep 17th 2001, 5:39 am
R Haney

Heh... I agree with all of those points! They are precisely why I swore to myself I
would only fly first-class on Aeroflot in the future, or simply stick with Delta. The
flight path from SFO directly up to Seattle and over the Artic certainly appeals to
me here in the Bay Area. I must also say, the landing in Moscow was THE SMOOTHEST
landing I've ever experienced. I couldn't believe it- we were actually on the ground
before I even knew we had touched down. I was really impressed with that part! (So
many stories of former Russian fighter pilots turned commercial...) Sure didn't like
the interior of the plane, though!

Old Sep 17th 2001, 7:02 am
Layindawg

Hey folks, It's hard to stay focused after this past week, but my fiancee's
scheduled in mid October for her K-1 interview in Moscow and I'm concerned. Anybody
heard about schedules being changed or postponed in the consulates? than ever.
~Ralph Petaluma, CA
==============================

The Moscow Embassy was closed on Wed.12th. All interviews on Wed. were rescheduled
for Thurs.13th.

Kyle...

Old Sep 18th 2001, 5:55 am
R Haney

Does that mean all scheduled interviews are pushed back one day? (Or did they just
cram to get caught up in that one day?)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >