Reload this Page >

Montreal Interview - denied and admin review

Montreal Interview - denied and admin review

Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

tutor4tavana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Montreal Interview - denied and admin review

Hello all,

My fiance and I showed up for my K1 visa at montreal yesterday - I am a landed immigrant with bangladesh passport. walk into the interview - three officers standing - sees us and tells us that that i cannot get a visa since they want a different variation of my divorce certificate - muslim divorce decree from pakistan - at the same time they nonchanlantly mention that they are going to send me for administrative processing - can you tell me what this means? Are they going to send my name to Washington for security check?

Or are they going to investigate me in canada and my landed immigrant status here?

I am worried and so upset - my fiance is shattered. Please can somebody tell us what an adminstrative processing and what the usual time frame is?

Thank you.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Montreal Interview - denied and admin review

Hi:

First of all -- go to http://travel.state.gov and find the "visa reciprocity tables" link in the lower right hand corner [on my ThinkPad, I have to scroll down -- and drill down to Pakistan -- under "divorce decree" they describe what they want from the Arbitration Council.

On being from Bangladesh, and apparently from Pakistan, welcome to the post-9/11 world -- yes, they are probably doing some type of background check on you.

Also, certain countries have adverse reputations in the immigration field for suspect documentation and you hit two of them.

Length of time: I don't know.

Idle thought -- consider getting a CANADIAN divorce from wife #1.

Idle thought #2 -- check out Canadian law of the validity of marriage in Canada -- which includes whether or not the CANADIANS recognize that Pakistani divorce. I don't know the answers there, but it is a path of inquiry.

Idle thought #3 -- a lawyer can have some real fun with your case. However, in saying that, I am cognizant of the fact that clients shudder at the thought of an attorney having professional fun with an immigration case.

Originally posted by tutor4tavana
Hello all,

My fiance and I showed up for my K1 visa at montreal yesterday - I am a landed immigrant with bangladesh passport. walk into the interview - three officers standing - sees us and tells us that that i cannot get a visa since they want a different variation of my divorce certificate - muslim divorce decree from pakistan - at the same time they nonchanlantly mention that they are going to send me for administrative processing - can you tell me what this means? Are they going to send my name to Washington for security check?

Or are they going to investigate me in canada and my landed immigrant status here?

I am worried and so upset - my fiance is shattered. Please can somebody tell us what an adminstrative processing and what the usual time frame is?

Thank you.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

tutor4tavana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

First of all -- go to http://travel.state.gov and find the "visa reciprocity tables" link in the lower right hand corner [on my ThinkPad, I have to scroll down -- and drill down to Pakistan -- under "divorce decree" they describe what they want from the Arbitration Council.

On being from Bangladesh, and apparently from Pakistan, welcome to the post-9/11 world -- yes, they are probably doing some type of background check on you.

Also, certain countries have adverse reputations in the immigration field for suspect documentation and you hit two of them.

Length of time: I don't know.

Idle thought -- consider getting a CANADIAN divorce from wife #1.

Idle thought #2 -- check out Canadian law of the validity of marriage in Canada -- which includes whether or not the CANADIANS recognize that Pakistani divorce. I don't know the answers there, but it is a path of inquiry.

Idle thought #3 -- a lawyer can have some real fun with your case. However, in saying that, I am cognizant of the fact that clients shudder at the thought of an attorney having professional fun with an immigration case.
Thank you for your response. I looked into the State Department site and took a notarized copy of the Talaqnama (muslim divorce proclamation). Obviously this was not good enough for the embassy and the ConOff indicated that he understood my predicatment in getting "official" documents from third world countries. My family back home is actually sending someone to Karachi this week to try and get an official decree.

My fiancee and I are just praying that the Admin. Process does not raise any red flags and gets completed - the ConOff mentioned it should take 3 weeks and that he had one completed this week in 7 days - I am not sure if he was blowing smoke up my $%^ or what but it seems like Admin. Proc. can take up to 4 months

Anyways, I dropped my fiancee off at Montreal airport (she is flying back home to Dallas) - it was a particularly difficult goodbye given that we had high hopes of finally setting a wedding date and planning for a move. Instead, we are getting ready for the scenario of her having to move up to Canada - not a pleasant thought since she has deeper roots in the US than I have in Canada.

FYI - the Montreal staff was very courteous and professional - they really need to do something about the security screening downstairs - we were on the sidewalk in freezing weather and snow for 2 hours before we were allowed in - just not enough room. I think my ConOff was training some newbie who sat through the entire interview and made incorrect notations on the form they gave me back. They took everything but my passport, original birth certificate, divorce document, and my chest x-ray.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:14 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tutor4tavana
Thank you for your response. I looked into the State Department site and took a notarized copy of the Talaqnama (muslim divorce proclamation). Obviously this was not good enough for the embassy and the ConOff indicated that he understood my predicatment in getting "official" documents from third world countries. My family back home is actually sending someone to Karachi this week to try and get an official decree.

My fiancee and I are just praying that the Admin. Process does not raise any red flags and gets completed - the ConOff mentioned it should take 3 weeks and that he had one completed this week in 7 days - I am not sure if he was blowing smoke up my $%^ or what but it seems like Admin. Proc. can take up to 4 months

Anyways, I dropped my fiancee off at Montreal airport (she is flying back home to Dallas) - it was a particularly difficult goodbye given that we had high hopes of finally setting a wedding date and planning for a move. Instead, we are getting ready for the scenario of her having to move up to Canada - not a pleasant thought since she has deeper roots in the US than I have in Canada.

FYI - the Montreal staff was very courteous and professional - they really need to do something about the security screening downstairs - we were on the sidewalk in freezing weather and snow for 2 hours before we were allowed in - just not enough room. I think my ConOff was training some newbie who sat through the entire interview and made incorrect notations on the form they gave me back. They took everything but my passport, original birth certificate, divorce document, and my chest x-ray.
Hi:

The description of the Pakastani divorce decree in the State Department Web Site is quite scary in my opinion. It is very diplomatic, but for the information to be worded that way, it screams to consular officers that the documentation is NOT to be trusted.

I wasn't kidding when I suggested in looking into a Canadian civil divorce from wife #1. If the Canadian court declares you to be divorced from wife #1, then there is no legal doubt.

I know it isn't fair and it will take time -- but it is a suggestion of solving the otherwise unsolvable.