Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical on Friday... Too Soon?

Medical on Friday... Too Soon?

Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rob1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical on Friday... Too Soon?

OK halfmoon, good to know.

We may have an issue in getting my wife's fathers tax returns for 2011 until October, which would obviously be too late for my planned November move date. I don't think there'd be too much of a problem getting someone else to sponsor, but given he's already agreed, does anyone think we could get away with using 2010 tax returns along with recent paychecks and this years W-2. I know you guys can't give a definitive answer, but any thoughts?

Cheers,
Rob
Old Aug 20th 2012, 11:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob1985
OK halfmoon, good to know.

We may have an issue in getting my wife's fathers tax returns for 2011 until October, which would obviously be too late for my planned November move date. I don't think there'd be too much of a problem getting someone else to sponsor, but given he's already agreed, does anyone think we could get away with using 2010 tax returns along with recent paychecks and this years W-2. I know you guys can't give a definitive answer, but any thoughts?

Cheers,
Rob
The requirement is for the sponsor (or joint sponsor) to show the most recent income tax return...either a photocopy of the entire tax return, or an official IRS tax transcript. If you have your interview this year, you will need to show 2011 tax returns. You are allowed to show up to 3 years of most recent tax returns, if they help support a less desireable 2011 return.

If you show ONLY a 2010 return, the ConOff will want to know why the sponsor (or joint sponsor) didn't file a 2011 return. If he did file a 2011 return and you just don't have it in hand, the ConOff probably won't approve your visa the day of your interview, but will give you time to return the missing 2011 tax return and then will approve.

Why do you think you can't get the 2011 tax return until October?

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:32 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Why?

You are only telling us half of the story. To answer your question we need to know the whole story.

Regards, JEff

We may have an issue in getting my wife's fathers tax returns for 2011 until October,
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

My wife is currently studying for her doctorate and so does not meet the salary requirements at the moment. However, there will be no problem with how desirable her dad's tax return will be. He owns a multimillion dollar business.

I don't know the ins and outs of the situation, but basically an external contractor sorts the tax returns, which apparently won't be 'ready' until October-ish. Not sure what 'ready' means?

I don't foresee a problem finding another joint sponsor so we'll probably just do that... unless he can get hold of something sooner than October?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

So an update,

They have been waiting on the results of a Cost Segregation study to finalise the return. He says they could provide a draft of the return. Does anyone know if that would be sufficient?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So an update,

They have been waiting on the results of a Cost Segregation study to finalise the return. He says they could provide a draft of the return. Does anyone know if that would be sufficient?
The deadline for filing a US tax return is normally April 14 for the previous year. If your father in law did not file on April 14, 2012 (for tax year 2011), then he must have applied for an extension.

I would supply the 2010 tax return, along with proof that he filed for an extension on filing the 2011 tax return, along with more proof of his current income.

Or, as you say, might be easier to find a different joint sponsor (one who has filed a 2011 tax return).

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

confusedmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband hasn't filed his 2011 tax return yet. As Noorah suggests, he (like your father-in-law almost certainly has) has applied for an extension until October.

We spoke to the NVC (who I realise may or may not provide accurate information) who said that 2010 tax return + 2011 extension confirmation was acceptable. That's what we submitted to the NVC.

I have my interview in September so I can let you know how they take it! To complicate matters further, we're using his assets as his income is not sufficient.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

That is correct.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by confusedmedic
We spoke to the NVC (who I realise may or may not provide accurate information) who said that 2010 tax return + 2011 extension confirmation was acceptable.