Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage Troubleshooting Guide: Does anybody have one?

Wikiposts

Marriage Troubleshooting Guide: Does anybody have one?

Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage Troubleshooting Guide: Does anybody have one?

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Well, things are much better this morning!

We talked and discussed things and I think there were various aspects to her outburst, including cabin fever, which had sent her over the edge.

So we're happy families today.

What Lord Lionheart was saying reminded me of a joke, though.

A man and a woman are on an airliner, when the engine explodes and it starts plummeting towards the ground.

"We've only got a few minutes to live," the woman huskily breathes. "Please, make me feel like a woman one last time..."

"Sure," says the macho man, tearing off his shirt. He hands it to her and says: "Iron this."
Glad you're all better
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
So you're basically admitting I was right apart from a little error in my choice of words. We are 90% there, see how easy it is. You would be putty in my hands
Sure, that's what I said in the first place, mostly agreed with you.

And you're right, I would most certainly have you thinking I was putty in your hands
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:25 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Sure, that's what I said in the first place, mostly agreed with you.

And you're right, I would most certainly have you thinking I was putty in your hands
Good enough, as if us men don't know women 'suggest ideas and concepts', a far cry from manipulating, nagging or outright controlling.
Thinking you're putty in my hands is good enough, like I said it's about boundaries
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Well, things are much better this morning!

We talked and discussed things and I think there were various aspects to her outburst, including cabin fever, which had sent her over the edge.

So we're happy families today.

What Lord Lionheart was saying reminded me of a joke, though.

A man and a woman are on an airliner, when the engine explodes and it starts plummeting towards the ground.

"We've only got a few minutes to live," the woman huskily breathes. "Please, make me feel like a woman one last time..."

"Sure," says the macho man, tearing off his shirt. He hands it to her and says: "Iron this."
good stuff, pleased to hear its all good. Now you can get back to finding a cure for being ginger!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:28 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

He's young and just starting out.
If my vast experience can save just one marriage on BE then my time here will have been worth it
Nice sentiment. But truly, experience is the only teacher, no matter how hard and over what distance. Okay, he's young, you say. Hmmm... what are those two sayings?.... 'Youth is wasted on the young' and 'You can't put an old head on young shoulders'.

Again, it's all down to attitude, self realisation and down to one's own character and ability to right the wrongs. It took a year before my daughter said, 'Dad, you know what you told me a year ago? Well - you were right"

Doh...

---
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good enough, as if us men don't know women 'suggest ideas and concepts', a far cry from manipulating, nagging or outright controlling.
Thinking you're putty in my hands is good enough, like I said it's about boundaries
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:36 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I find this ironic because my wife got on better with my mother, our one remaining parent, than I.

I don't like all this chauvinism for it's own sake. Each marriage, or partnership, has to figure out the best balance of strengths for them, not to some formula. My wife didn't like my method of bookkeeping with the bank accounts, I didn't post anything but kept a fairly accurate, running, total in my head. When the statement arrived, if it was within a buck or two of my total, I let it go, it wasn't worth the time to track my error. My wife had been raised in great poverty, and needed to know to the penny, so I left it to her to handle the bookkeeping. Some men, particularly back then, think/thought that wifey should be given an allowance and no additional information, but I wanted a wife, not a servant.

It worked for us and that is all that mattered.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey leave ginger kids alone!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Hey leave ginger kids alone!
did you ever watch the Catherine Tate show?? her Ginger refuge was pure genious
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the first words out of my mouth when she was born were 'oh no she's got ginger hair'. I'm not joking.
The real meaning of my words were that I had expected her to have dark hair like myself and my husband. Having a baby that doesn't look like you expect it to is somewhat unsettling! And of course because we both have dark hair my husband gets weird looks when we're all out together...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:15 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, marriage is totally unfair. When your wife is upset with you, you're expected to work out WHY and WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT all by yourself.
Where's the solidarity? Where's the collected pool of masculine knowledge ont he subject? Where's the Haynes manual?
Seriously, I'd LOVE to have a book that has a complete strip-down and rebuild of the '78 Italian/Jewish lowrider model with the big headlights. Next time there's a problem, if would be so much easier to scratch my head, scan the index, turn to page 102 and find out I need to say this, followed by that, refill with a glass or wine and then she'll be back in full working order in no time.
There isn't one mate.
Marriage is the single most deadly form of unarmed combat known to man, yet we still dive headlong into the fray and then wonder why we get the living cr@p kicked out of us.

Suggestion:
The next time she is totally unreasonable, try killing her with kindness, sit back and let her guilty consience do your dirty work for you. It may take a while to effect as she will be pretty confused, but you are much are less likely to get bruised, bitten or bloody and you'll look a complete saint as well.

Its not the only angle, but its a good one as its usually unexpected. If that doesn't work, there is always kevlar.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:27 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Yes, in a calm thought out conversation I completely agree, but in the middle of a row maybe not. I thought a gentle reminder might be useful.
Yeah, even at my "mature" age, I'm not so keen on having my shortcomings pointed out, lovingly or not in the middle of a "discussion",
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:39 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
"If a man is alone in the woods and speaks, and there is no wife to hear him, is he still wrong".
Most likely - yes. We often surrender our own thoughts and opinions and are supposed to think twice before speaking.

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Nice big and strong. Very long and wide in girth....
I jumped ahead before reading your post in its entirety and this immeadiately came to mind in context of the predicament in question.

My father used to say to me that the secret to marriage is discussion & compromise..... that's why I don't bother.

maybe this will help clarify matters for many... atleast you'll get a good chuckle out of it.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Tale_of_Two_Brains.wmv (4.60 MB, 30 views)
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Tell her to grow up?

Seriously - scanning and approving your emails!? Telling you what you should/shouldn't say to your own parents !!??
But it seems there are two sides here - it sounds as if she seems to feel she has the right to not only be consulted at all times, but to "approve/disapprove" what he wants to say to his family.

Sounds very controlling to me.
There's not only two sides to a story, there's three.. but how can you say 'there are two sides' and then go on to make a conclusion about the situation after reading only one side of it???

I can actually make up a whole scenario about this where Mrs Roland is completely in the right and he is the one who messed up. But we have NO idea of the background of this story or what agreement Roland and Co had regarding family communication and this issue.

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Surely, what Roland did was to change direction without telling wifey.
Bingo. Right, wrong or indifferent, they had an agreement. changing that midstream without mutual agreement is going to make a problem; that shouldn't have been a surprise.

Nip this shit in the bud Rolly and be a man. What you are doing now is laying the future foundations for your marriage and relationship. Women will usually push you as far as you let them. Time to grow some balls ( even if they are ginger). Reading and approving your e-mails FFS. Is she your Mommy or your wife?!?! Trust me, a woman will respect you more if you take control. Do it now before she loses respect for you. They won't admit it but most woman like strength of character in a man, not a shirt button.

You're a poor substitute; at least when our Dear Departed posted something silly like that, the joke was perfectly clear. Aren't you just stealing someone else's material?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Women.. ahh yes bit like getting a flat pack from B&Q (UK) Home Depot(US).Beautiful when you put them together but always find you have one screw missing !
Standing my ground, honest chaps !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.