Wikiposts

Marriage soon to USC

Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

BigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud of
Default Marriage soon to USC

Firstly let me say Thanks before hand if you've able to help, assist or point me in the right direction regarding my case, it's pretty complex.

Over 8 years ago I bought a ticket to Travel to America with friends for 3 months. Several days before leaving I was arrested and charged with being involved in an assault . I was 100% innocent of this accusation, but none the less I was due in court in 1 week.

Not being able to change the date of the vacation and the possibility of a drawn out court case, I went ahead and joined my friends. It was naive I know, I won't question that reasoning.

I never returned to England. I had no desire to clear my name, the system there is low and the attorney who was appointed me didn't care a damn about my case, which was evident from day one.

Life here has been great, not without it's ups and downs, but it's better than what I had. While some people may state I clearly made a mistake, had I not have gone this route I wouldn't have met who I fell in love with and things wouldn't be the same.

I'm to marry soon and it's an elaborate and large wedding with all the bells and whistles, family and friends are coming, everything is set in stone, but we're acting like there's no bigger picture.

I'm aware that under normal circumstances I could apply for AOS, go through the procedure and stand a good chance of getting my conditional green card, but things are more complex than a normal case scenario.

The bigger picture is;

An Irish friend rid me of my Waiver that was attached to my passport years ago, I didn't realize it's importance at the time. (I have my original entry flight tickets)

I've overstayed 8 years and have made a considerable amount of money during that time, not being able to pay taxes of course.

I have this criminal issue looming from England, all those years ago.
(Which I am currently seeking to be acquitted from, by long distance communication (it can be done))

My passport will expire in 2 years and is very worn out. Can I keep this one for proof of entry?
And apply for a new one just for Identification purposes?

Besides those things, I've lived an honest life here, never once having an issue with the authorities or anything similar.

My future wife and I agree, that after the wedding it may be in our best interests to bide our time and see if I can clear my name. But if we're not at least 90% certain we can pull it off, it's simply may not be worth the risk.

We're planning to see a lawyer, but I'm trying to get my facts straight before hand.

I've read enough about people's successes, but my situation is quite complex and I'm just wondering what you think is the best cause of action for us?

Some things that may benefit us are,

My fiance is an upstanding citizen, wealthy and highly educated

I'm highly skilled, highly employable and carry a degree.

Even in my overstaying status, I belong to a political group and participate in social affairs.

I'm also a member of the church and volunteer for various charities.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:19 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage soon to USC

Originally Posted by BigTroubleinLittleChina
Firstly let me say Thanks before hand if you've able to help, assist or point me in the right direction regarding my case, it's pretty complex.

Over 8 years ago I bought a ticket to Travel to America with friends for 3 months. Several days before leaving I was arrested and charged with being involved in an assault . I was 100% innocent of this accusation, but none the less I was due in court in 1 week.

Not being able to change the date of the vacation and the possibility of a drawn out court case, I went ahead and joined my friends. It was naive I know, I won't question that reasoning.

I never returned to England. I had no desire to clear my name, the system there is low and the attorney who was appointed me didn't care a damn about my case, which was evident from day one.

Life here has been great, not without it's ups and downs, but it's better than what I had. While some people may state I clearly made a mistake, had I not have gone this route I wouldn't have met who I fell in love with and things wouldn't be the same.

I'm to marry soon and it's an elaborate and large wedding with all the bells and whistles, family and friends are coming, everything is set in stone, but we're acting like there's no bigger picture.

I'm aware that under normal circumstances I could apply for AOS, go through the procedure and stand a good chance of getting my conditional green card, but things are more complex than a normal case scenario.

The bigger picture is;

An Irish friend rid me of my Waiver that was attached to my passport years ago, I didn't realize it's importance at the time. (I have my original entry flight tickets)

I've overstayed 8 years and have made a considerable amount of money during that time, not being able to pay taxes of course.

I have this criminal issue looming from England, all those years ago.
(Which I am currently seeking to be acquitted from, by long distance communication (it can be done))

My passport will expire in 2 years and is very worn out. Can I keep this one for proof of entry?
And apply for a new one just for Identification purposes?

Besides those things, I've lived an honest life here, never once having an issue with the authorities or anything similar.

My future wife and I agree, that after the wedding it may be in our best interests to bide our time and see if I can clear my name. But if we're not at least 90% certain we can pull it off, it's simply may not be worth the risk.

We're planning to see a lawyer, but I'm trying to get my facts straight before hand.

I've read enough about people's successes, but my situation is quite complex and I'm just wondering what you think is the best cause of action for us?

Some things that may benefit us are,

My fiance is an upstanding citizen, wealthy and highly educated

I'm highly skilled, highly employable and carry a degree.

Even in my overstaying status, I belong to a political group and participate in social affairs.

I'm also a member of the church and volunteer for various charities.
It might be a good idea to use some of the money you have earned to see an attorney.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
It might be a good idea to use some of the money you have earned to see an attorney.

Quite...
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:06 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

*snip*

Besides those things, I've lived an honest life here...

*snip*

My fiance is an upstanding citizen, wealthy and highly educated. I'm highly skilled, highly employable and carry a degree. Even in my overstaying status, I belong to a political group and participate in social affairs. I'm also a member of the church and volunteer for various charities.
Um, not paying taxes for 8 years isn't honest though, is it?

If you and your fiance(e) are so educated, you should have known that you CAN and SHOULD pay taxes, even if your income is illegally obtained. Ever heard of Al Capone? Being an illegal alien doesn't exempt you from paying taxes; millions of illegals do so every year.

Belonging to a church and participating in social events won't help your situation. Sorry.

See an attorney. Actually, in your case you might want to see several. Start with AILA.

~ Jenney
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Quite...
Ditto. This is pretty much beyond a layman's knowledge. Good luck with your case.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:07 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to need crackerjack timing Wang.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

BigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud ofBigTroubleinLittleChina has much to be proud of

Under what circumstances can a person who works for himself pay taxes?

Believe me if I could have, I would have.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kate2112
I have every intention of seeing an immigration attorney and hopefully the best money can afford. As I stated, I'm just asking some simple question to see if some light can be shed on the situation before I go.
The more that is answered here, the less time i'll have to spend asking questions that I'm not sure of the answer to.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:39 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just asking some simple question...
Umm... none of your questions are simple when taken in context.

The more that is answered here...
You do realize that we're not lawyers, right? What is it about you that makes you believe that a bunch of lay persons can help you with your very complex situation?

...the less time i'll have to spend asking questions that I'm not sure of the answer to
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that your time was so valuable. I also really have to question your sanity with respect to the above comment. It seems to me that you would *want* to ask questions regarding those things of which you're not sure! I'll add here, that just because you *think* you know the answer to a question, the lawyer will have an alternate point of view - probably the correct one!

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:44 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Under what circumstances can a person who works for himself pay taxes? Believe me if I could have, I would have.
You're kidding, right? Unless you are making a very small amount of income, you have to pay taxes on any income you earn. It doesn't matter if you're self-employed, employed by a big company or a small company. It doesn't matter if that income is illegally obtained or legally obtained. A two-second Google search got me here:

Internal Revenue Service : Publications & Forms for the Self-Employed

I have every intention of seeing an immigration attorney and hopefully the best money can afford. As I stated, I'm just asking some simple question to see if some light can be shed on the situation before I go.
The more that is answered here, the less time i'll have to spend asking questions that I'm not sure of the answer to.
That's the thing, though -- your situation is so way-out there that no one here can really answer any of your questions. You jumped bail in the UK, illegally used the VWP and fled to the US, overstayed for 8 years, worked in the US as an illegal alien for 8 years, didn't file or pay any taxes -- and NOW you want to become legal?? This is so far beyond what a bunch of laypeople on a public message board can handle that the only decent suggestion anyone can have for you is, "Get a good lawyer."

~ Jenney
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me if I could have, I would have.

Did you actually contact the IRS and ask them?

If Mexican farmworkers who do not even speak English can manage it, how come a highly educated Brit like you can't?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The facts are the facts... they are neither straight nor twisted. I think you mean that you're "trying to get your story straight"! This would be necessary if you want to present your lawyer with good facts rather than real facts in an effort to make it seem as though you're a really nice person.

I'm highly skilled, highly employable...
... highly illegal, and highly dishonest.

Millions of self-employed residents do it every year. It's not rocket science. Let's tell the truth here... you didn't want to draw attention to yourself, so you preferred to live dishonestly and immorally rather than take responsibility for your actions. For all your education, you seem pretty thick!

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
That's the thing, though -- your situation is so way-out there that no one here can really answer any of your questions. You jumped bail in the UK, illegally used the VWP and fled to the US, overstayed for 8 years, worked in the US as an illegal alien for 8 years, didn't file or pay any taxes -- and NOW you want to become legal?? This is so far beyond what a bunch of laypeople on a public message board can handle that the only decent suggestion anyone can have for you is, "Get a good lawyer."

~ Jenney
You missed the part where the Irish friend used his I-94w.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
You missed the part where the Irish friend used his I-94w.
You may have misinterpreted the wording of the comment.

"He rid me of it"

I should have said

"He suggested I get rid of it" and I did.

Last edited by BigTroubleinLittleChina; Sep 28th 2006 at 11:12 am.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The facts are the facts... they are neither straight nor twisted. I think you mean that you're "trying to get your story straight"! This would be necessary if you want to present your lawyer with good facts rather than real facts in an effort to make it seem as though you're a really nice person.

.. highly illegal, and highly dishonest.

Millions of self-employed residents do it every year. It's not rocket science. Let's tell the truth here... you didn't want to draw attention to yourself, so you preferred to live dishonestly and immorally rather than take responsibility for your actions. For all your education, you seem pretty thick!
Ian

I will be as honest and forthcoming with my lawyer as I have with you here today. I'm not making excuses nor stories.

I agree partially with your assessment that I have been dishonest and undermined the laws here. I felt at risk of losing the person that matters the most and in some scenario's people will undergo extraordinary risks to keep what they want.

Our lives here are quite ordinary, given the circumstances.
If there is no way feasible solution to my problem, then I won't seek to resolve it.

There is a also a huge difference of opinion as to what people consider Immoral and unjust in this life, friend.

Last edited by BigTroubleinLittleChina; Sep 28th 2006 at 11:17 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.