Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage and green card / passport names

Marriage and green card / passport names

Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Marriage and green card / passport names

Hi all,

I just got married last weekend :-). Now the question is....both passport (UK) and greencard are in my previous name. I travel a huge amount in and out of the US due to work. I know that I can change my passport within the day on my next visit to London, however I hear that greencard replacement can take up to 6 months.

To add complication - I'm a member of Global Entry - and the machine requires my green card to work - not anxious to lose this as it skips all the lines!

Does anyone know if
(a) it's a problem having your passport and greencard in a different name - assuming that you travel with a certified copy of your marriage cert. The issues that I can see with this is that the airlines would have an issue with boarding you on the return leg as they always ask for passport and greencard
(b) if they actually take your greencard away from you while you are changing your name...if not - could travel on this anyway

Thanks!
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage and green card / passport names

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
(a) it's a problem having your passport and greencard in a different name - assuming that you travel with a certified copy of your marriage cert.
This will not be an issue - and is the preferred method of travel. If you must have your GC with you for work, then I suggest you not bother trying to get the name changed until the card itself is up for renewal.

Edit - you're still you! Your unmarried name and your married name are both legal names!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jun 4th 2010 at 12:46 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Ian. It won't be an issue having your passport and green card in different names, and you carry a copy of your marriage license in case you need to prove the name change. Make sure you book tickets in your passport name, not your green card name.

If you apply for a replacement green card, I believe they DO take the green card from you, and give you a temp I-551 stamp in your passport.

If you need to keep the physical plastic green card on you, then don't apply for a replacement.

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to both! I'll get the passport changed and leave the greencard...carrying the marriage cert of course - just in case of any questions.

It doesn't expire for another 8 years...I'll be applying for citizenship before then

$$$ saved too even better :-)