Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Mailing address (not home) on I-130?

Mailing address (not home) on I-130?

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough
Default Mailing address (not home) on I-130?

Well, we found out today we can't file DCF from Ireland. I have to be a "permanent resident" and it's up to me to prove it. Because my work is writing a book for a US publisher, so no job here, she said I should file our I-130 in the US.

So my question is this (crossing my finger someone knows): my mailing address in the US is not my home address because we're renting out the US home while we're here for 6 mos. (he lives here, I'm on an "extended holiday" according to the woman at the Embassy). Do I use my mailing address as the address on the form (I assume all correspondence will be sent there) even though it's the address of my office? (I'm a partner in the business so hopefully that helps). It's not a home address.

If someone knows an actual phone number that can be used to reach the Texas Service Center to ask questions like this, that'd really help, too!

Thanks so much for any help!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mailing address (not home) on I-130?

Originally posted by Buendia
Well, we found out today we can't file DCF from Ireland. I have to be a "permanent resident" and it's up to me to prove it. Because my work is writing a book for a US publisher, so no job here, she said I should file our I-130 in the US.
I realize this doesn't answer the question you just asked, but I have one for you...how did you "find out" the above information? Directly from the Consular staff? Their website merely states "Both the Petitioner and the beneficiary must be residing in Ireland. Proof of residence in Ireland is required for all petitioners." (http://www.usembassy.ie/consulate/rvisa.html) It also says "I-130 petitions must be filed at a BCIS office in the United States or, if the petitioner and beneficiary reside in Ireland, at the American Embassy in Dublin. <snip> Petitions can be filed by appointment only." Have you tried to secure an appointment?

Did you enter Ireland as anything other than "tourist"? That stamp, rather than "permanent resident" *might* be the key to doing your filing locally.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for responding!
Unfortunately, this is what we were told by the Consular staff at our appt. at the embassy. I do have a stamp in my passport from Irish immigration that allows me to live and work here for 5 years (so not here on a tourist stamp). But she said that isn't enough proof that I'm a permanent resident. I also read on te website that we both had to be residing here, and brought proof including the stamp, a bill with this address on it, etc. But she said I could still be living anywhere and that anyway, I had to be working here a minimum of 6 months and even that might not constitute proof. My husband's mortgage here wasn't enough proof that he lives here either, because he could be renting the house out and her comment was that it would be better if we leased an apt. rather than owned. It was very discouraging. While we were waiting, I heard them grilling another woman about her residence here - luckily she had been a student here for over a year (we talked in the queue before entering the embassy).

I think we're going to file the I-130 in the US and apply for a K-3 visa for my husband.

Originally posted by meauxna
I realize this doesn't answer the question you just asked, but I have one for you...how did you "find out" the above information? Directly from the Consular staff? Their website merely states "Both the Petitioner and the beneficiary must be residing in Ireland. Proof of residence in Ireland is required for all petitioners." (http://www.usembassy.ie/consulate/rvisa.html) It also says "I-130 petitions must be filed at a BCIS office in the United States or, if the petitioner and beneficiary reside in Ireland, at the American Embassy in Dublin. <snip> Petitions can be filed by appointment only." Have you tried to secure an appointment?

Did you enter Ireland as anything other than "tourist"? That stamp, rather than "permanent resident" *might* be the key to doing your filing locally.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

My father called the BCIS in the US and it looks like what I have to do is use my mailing address under "address" on the I-130 and attach a continuation sheet explaining that I don't receive mail at my residence (home address), but that the home address is shown on the G-325A.

Both addresses are in the same city, 1 mile apart. I am a partner in the company, so my last name is part of the name of the company.

I hope this works!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for responding!
Unfortunately, this is what we were told by the Consular staff at our appt. at the embassy. I do have a stamp in my passport from Irish immigration that allows me to live and work here for 5 years (so not here on a tourist stamp). But she said that isn't enough proof that I'm a permanent resident. I also read on te website that we both had to be residing here, and brought proof including the stamp, a bill with this address on it, etc. But she said I could still be living anywhere and that anyway, I had to be working here a minimum of 6 months and even that might not constitute proof. My husband's mortgage here wasn't enough proof that he lives here either, because he could be renting the house out and her comment was that it would be better if we leased an apt. rather than owned. It was very discouraging. While we were waiting, I heard them grilling another woman about her residence here - luckily she had been a student here for over a year (we talked in the queue before entering the embassy).

I think we're going to file the I-130 in the US and apply for a K-3 visa for my husband.
Darn, that sounds like a lot of "proof" to me...since when did working=residence? Sorry to hear that the DCF door is closed to you, but it looks like your K3 won't be too painful. FWIW, I see no problem with your proposed mailing plan; attached letters of explanation can be sprinkled throughout your petitions as needed (forms are so confining!). Of course, me being me, I might be tempted to find someone higher up the Consular food chain to speak to my case about ....
best wishes!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for responding!

Hi:

I would suggest you find a reliable source of information.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for everyone's best wishes - it really does help! Esp. since yesterday was really, really discouraging.

I think we ought to talk to someone, too, but the attorneys in my home state are not so great, and more adept at handling US-Mexico immigration issues. We talked to two and one advised us to do DCF here, so that one is off our list, and the other one was advising us to marry in the US while my then-fiance was on a tourist visa (which is not legal! we were married here in Ireland).

So is a reliable source of information an immigration attorney or someone else? We want to do everything legally/above board.