Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 Visa Marrying US Citizen

L1 Visa Marrying US Citizen

Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:56 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa Marrying US Citizen

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That said, personally I would as I don't see any benefit in giving the Federal government an interest-free loan.
Agreed - I'm starting to wrap my head around how it works. Not sure if I'm using the salary calculators correctly but they seem to think I'll be a few hundred $ better off a month filing as married with 0 dependents. I think this way there will be enough federal withholding to cover my tax liability for the year.

Our marriage certificate should take ~6 weeks to get back to us so I'll get my civil surgeon visit sorted before then and when that comes, should be all good to send in our package of USCIS docs to the Chicago lockbox.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 1:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be clear, now that you're married, you MUST file as married. Your two options become "married filing jointly" or "married filing separately".

Usually there are tax benefits when filling "married filing jointly".

You cannot file in the "single" category anymore.

Rene
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 1:23 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just to be clear, now that you're married, you MUST file as married. Your two options become "married filing jointly" or "married filing separately".

Usually there are tax benefits when filling "married filing jointly".

You cannot file in the "single" category anymore.

Rene
Makes sense- thanks, Rene.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:48 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

I just had my medical with the civil surgeon although I didn't actually see him. Just had a couple of medical students who were making me do all kinds of weird stuff e.g. put feet together, arms in front, close eyes, stand there for ten seconds - was waiting for someone to burst out laughing.

Was a flat rate of $200 so considering I knew I'd have to have all of the applicable jabs as I have no immunisation record I thought that was a good price. Got to go back on Thursday and then it's just a case of waiting for my fat tax rebate to come into my bank and then I shall file. I'll be sure to list everything I'm filing here beforehand so you guys can check it over for me
Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English88
I just had my medical with the civil surgeon although I didn't actually see him. Just had a couple of medical students who were making me do all kinds of weird stuff e.g. put feet together, arms in front, close eyes, stand there for ten seconds - was waiting for someone to burst out laughing.
Since it is the individual doctor that qualifies to be a civil surgeon, not the doctor's office, I suspect that is illegal.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:19 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Originally Posted by Owen778
Since it is the individual doctor that qualifies to be a civil surgeon, not the doctor's office, I suspect that is illegal.
The civil surgeon will sign it all off, I don't foresee a problem. Good point though.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:23 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

I'm just checking the fees to ensure I have it right...

i-130: $450
i-485: $985
i-765: Free when filing with i-485
i-131: Free when filing with i-131
Biometrics for i-485: $85
i-693: Free (to file)
i-864: Free
g-325a (for wife and I): Free
g-1145: Free

Am I missing anything?

Last edited by English88; Apr 2nd 2015 at 1:26 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

i-130: $450
I believe this is $420.

i-485: $985
Biometrics for i-485: $85
These are usually combined to = $1070, but correct.

Am I missing anything?
Just make sure the fees are correct - because your package will not be processed if the fees are wrong.

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:42 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

You were right, I think that was a typo as I have it written down as $420. Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 2:17 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Ok so I have printed all the forms, is there any particular order in which I should put them in the package? I have the G-1145 at the front.

With the package I'm sending to the Chicago lockbox I'm including the following evidence (all copies):
Wife's most recent tax return
Visa page of passport
Photo page of passport
Most recent i-94
Marriage certificate
Birth Certificate
2 passport-style photos

Note: I have no criminal history

I will take original versions of all of the above + joint car & apartment lease documents, photos, joint saving account etc to the interview.

Last edited by English88; Apr 2nd 2015 at 2:34 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 2:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You should take each application and attach the backup to each one. The I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 are all separate applications. Each one requires passport style photos, so you'll have more than just 2 photos total, for example.

Treat each application independently, following each set of instructions carefully.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 2nd 2015 at 2:46 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:04 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Thanks that helps - I was thinking of all the forms as evidence for the i-485 and not as separate applications which is obviously not correct.

I just printed out my i-94 travel history and came across something concerning. My latest i-94 is correct but on my travel history, the last entry is a departure on 06-Nov-2014 and the Port of Entry/Exit is blank. I have no idea how that's happened - I haven't left since I last arrived.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of all the forms as evidence for the i-485 and not as separate applications which is obviously not correct.
It's neither correct nor incorrect... it's just good advice. You don't want to be in a position where one application is somehow separated from the rest and is subsequently not processed for lack of documentation.

My latest i-94 is correct...
That's the only one that matters!

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:19 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

That's the only one that matters!

Ian

It's a bit concerning that my travel history said I left the US in Nov-2014 though!

The instructions for i-765 actually do say:
"If you are filing Form I-765 under the (c)(9) category, Form I-94 is not required."

I believe I am (c)(9) i.e. Adjustment Applicant

Last edited by English88; Apr 2nd 2015 at 3:21 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

I believe I am (c)(9) i.e. Adjustment Applicant
Yes - (c)(9). If an I-94 isn't required, then don't worry about it. In your situation, your travel history is irrelevant. People worry so about the smallest things as though they somehow matter. This one doesn't matter.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.