Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 Visa Marrying US Citizen

L1 Visa Marrying US Citizen

Old Feb 25th 2015, 4:00 am
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 Visa Marrying US Citizen

So we've decided a date (8th of May) for our courthouse wedding.

I think I'm eligible for one-step adjustment option (i.e. filing I-130 and I-485 at the same time) - is this correct?

To recap, I'm on an L1 visa, living in the US with my fiancee.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 4:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English88
I think I'm eligible for one-step adjustment option (i.e. filing I-130 and I-485 at the same time) - is this correct?
Yes. Those are the two major forms, but it's not just them... there are a whole pile of forms (and backup documentation) that must be concurrently submitted and paid for.

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2015, 6:56 am
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes. Those are the two major forms, but it's not just them... there are a whole pile of forms (and backup documentation) that must be concurrently submitted and paid for.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I'm vaguely aware of the backup documentation required but do you know which other USCIS forms are needed?
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

A fair few

1. I-130
2. G-325a (one for you and one for your wife)
3. I-864
4. I-485
5. I-765
6. I-131
7. I-693 - you'll need to go for a medical to get this one completed
8. G-1145 (optional)

You file all of these along with all the supporting documents in one packet via the USCIS Chicago Lockbox.

Last edited by Jerni; Feb 25th 2015 at 9:36 am.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 11:53 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Excellent, thank you.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 4:28 am
Trash Eatin' Duck

Would I be correct in thinking that I do not need to apply for an Advance Parole Document via the i-131 because I have a valid L1 visa (until August 2017)?
Old Mar 13th 2015, 5:08 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Would I be correct in thinking that I do not need to apply for an Advance Parole Document via the i-131 because I have a valid L1 visa (until August 2017)?

You don't NEED to but it's free so why not? Means you'd be able to leave the country if something happened to your L1 job.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 5:17 am
Trash Eatin' Duck

Makes sense, thanks.

Another question I have pertains to the i-864a form. I need to fill this out as I'm fairly sure my fiancee (soon to be wife's) salary for last year does not go above the requirement to sponsor me. She is now an accountant but was working as a server last year and most of the her money were tips that probably weren't all declared.

Anyway, the i-864a form asks me about federal income tax information but I've not been living here long enough to have filed so what do I do here?

Edit: May have answered my own question - found this:

The intending immigrant does not need to execute an I-864A unless he or she has a derivative spouse or child who will be accompanying the intending immigrant. Only household members who execute an I-864A must include a copy of their tax return for the prior tax year. Therefore, if the couple is recently married and did not file a joint tax return in the prior year, simply include the sponsor's last tax return and indicate the alien spouse's current income on line 24b. No proof of the intending immigrant's current or past income is required beyond establishing that it is lawful and will continue.

Last edited by English88; Mar 13th 2015 at 5:22 am.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 5:51 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
You don't NEED to but it's free so why not? Means you'd be able to leave the country if something happened to your L1 job.
Agreed. I filed the AP with my AOS package, despite holding an L1-A visa. It's free, so why wouldn't you do it? It's a no brainer.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 6:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She is now an accountant but was working as a server last year and most of the her money were tips that probably weren't all declared.
Her income last year is largely irrelevant. What's important, is her current income. If her current income is above the 125% requirement, it'll be fine. Even if her tax return shows below that level, it won't much matter if she is currently making above that level. She should provide proof of her current income level.

Ian
Old Mar 18th 2015, 12:39 am
Trash Eatin' Duck

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We've decided to bring the "ceremony" forward to this Friday so I'll be married in 2 days (we already have the license - picked it up last Friday) then driving up to Savannah, GA for a long weekend.

I've filled out most of the USCIS forms already, just need to add signatures and dates and then book an appointment with a Civil Surgeon.

Thanks again for the advice - this forum is awesome.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:17 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We've decided to bring the "ceremony" forward to this Friday so I'll be married in 2 days (we already have the license - picked it up last Friday) then driving up to Savannah, GA for a long weekend.

I've filled out most of the USCIS forms already, just need to add signatures and dates and then book an appointment with a Civil Surgeon.

Thanks again for the advice - this forum is awesome.
Congrats and good luck for Friday!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Civil Surgeon?????

Best of luck to you anyway!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 12:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Civil Surgeon?????
Where you go for your adjustment or visa-related medical if you are already in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 19th 2015 at 1:42 am.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 1:03 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Where you go for your visa-related medical of you are already in the US.
OP is doing a stateside adjustment, not a visa application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.