Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K3 visa expiring in 4 months

K3 visa expiring in 4 months

Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:25 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 visa expiring in 4 months

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The OP needs either a semi-competent attorney or to consult with one of the bona-fide immigration agencies such as Travelers Aid, Catholic Charities or some such.

The OP has not been a proficient DIY'er at all.
I wouldn't ignore this advice. Maybe you do need some extra help?
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:38 am
Just Joined

digsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I wouldn't ignore this advice. Maybe you do need some extra help?
Thanks for the offer - I think I'm set now. I have all the forms filled out and I'm having my USCIS medical on Tuesday.

I figure I'll send the forms in and if theres a problem, hire a lawyer immediately.

Does that sound like a good plan ?

Digsy
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Rene,

I don't think Digsy is applying for adjustment of status. What she said was something like "I ...have applied for permanent residency."

That doesn't mean that she's applied for adjustment of status. It could also mean that she's pursuing an immigrant visa, which she's specifically said that she has done. She submitted her DS-230 immigrant visa application, and now she's working on the I-864 that the NVC sent to her.

I would be concerned that, since it's now been more than 1-1/2 years since she submitted the DS-230 and she still hasn't submitted the I-864, the NVC may have closed her case.

Regards, JEff

Well there was a gap of 6 months when they sent the forms to the wrong address.

The case is still open - the NVC just sent me the I-864 forms, which I am now ready to send off.

So now I'm even more confused - my spouse filed an I-130 and I was issued a K3 visa to come to the US will it was processed. (We had already been married for 3 years).

I got a letter from the INS saying the I-130 was approved and that the case had been passed to the Department of State NVC.

They then (after some payments were sent) sent me an I-864 to complete.

I believe I was applying for an IR1 visa but am very confused at this stage.

Thanks for all the help.

(I'm a guy by the way :-) )

Digsy
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:48 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digsy
Thanks for the offer - I think I'm set now. I have all the forms filled out and I'm having my USCIS medical on Tuesday.

I figure I'll send the forms in and if theres a problem, hire a lawyer immediately.

Does that sound like a good plan ?

Digsy
I really couldn't tell you. We went the other way. We hired a lawyer initially but decided to go our own way. I appreciate what he did for us in getting us started but I decided that we had enough of an uderstanding of the process to continue with the next stage alone. I felt especially confident when I realised that information we found here conflicted with information he had given us. I referred him to the relevant USCIS webpage and he turned out to be incorrect. This happened a couple of times and I realised he wasn't that familiar with the K3 process or UK to US immigration.

We have an approved EAD online and are just about to send off our AOS application. So we shalll see whether or not our way is advisable, for us at least.

Good luck with yours.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:42 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Digsy

Are you going back to the UK to have your IR interview at the US Embassy? It would seem that this is the route you are taking which is the same one I am taking. Also Cindyabs and Hawslayer are doing the same thing. Perhaps it would help if you did a search for their posts. I am waiting to hear from the NVC to tell me that they have forwarded my case to the US Embassy in London and then London will schedule an interview date for me (K3) and my son (K4). Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Maggie

PS my K3 visa axpires in June also so I am hoping it is processed well before then! If not we'll be applying for an extension of K3/K4 visa.

The case is still open - the NVC just sent me the I-864 forms, which I am now ready to send off.

So now I'm even more confused - my spouse filed an I-130 and I was issued a K3 visa to come to the US will it was processed. (We had already been married for 3 years).

I got a letter from the INS saying the I-130 was approved and that the case had been passed to the Department of State NVC.

Thanks for all the help.

Digsy
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:08 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hi Digsy

PS my K3 visa axpires in June also so I am hoping it is processed well before then! If not we'll be applying for an extension of K3/K4 visa.
How do you go about extending K3? Is that possible? I'm just starting AOS and my K3 is valid until 2006 but I'd styill be interested to know, just in case.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:11 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
How do you go about extending K3? Is that possible? I'm just starting AOS and my K3 is valid until 2006 but I'd styill be interested to know, just in case.
You can't extend the K3 itself but its validity as Mr F has pointed a few times.
SUPERBOWL YAY!!!
Old Feb 6th 2005, 6:20 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
You can't extend the K3 itself but its validity as Mr F has pointed a few times.
SUPERBOWL YAY!!!
Thanks Tweeky! Superbowl NAY!!! Got to find something to do this afternoon besides watching the only decent adverts of the year and waiting for wardrobe malfunctions.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Hi Digsy

Are you going back to the UK to have your IR interview at the US Embassy? It would seem that this is the route you are taking which is the same one I am taking. Also Cindyabs and Hawslayer are doing the same thing. Perhaps it would help if you did a search for their posts. I am waiting to hear from the NVC to tell me that they have forwarded my case to the US Embassy in London and then London will schedule an interview date for me (K3) and my son (K4). Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Maggie

I wasnt planning on going back to england for the interview!

I was hoping to have it in Orlando (or at least Florida).

Were you married before you came to the US ?

Digsy
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:57 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes I was married before I came to the US. Are you going to ajust status in the US then? I chose not to mainly because the times for AOS in the CHicago area are unpredictable and can take a very long time.

Hyper, it is possible to extend the K3, whether it's the validity or status, I'm not sure. You use form I-153. Have a look on the USCIS forms and fees page and it gives specific instructions.

Maggie

Were you married before you came to the US ?

Digsy
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Hi

Yes I was married before I came to the US. Are you going to ajust status in the US then? I chose not to mainly because the times for AOS in the CHicago area are unpredictable and can take a very long time.

Hyper, it is possible to extend the K3, whether it's the validity or status, I'm not sure. You use form I-153. Have a look on the USCIS forms and fees page and it gives specific instructions.

Maggie
Well I just called the NVC and spoke to someone who said I should write to the NVC saying I am in the US and am adjusting status. They'll put my case on hold. Then I send off my I-485 to the CIS.

Which is good news (although I'll call back a few times to make sure I get the same answer twice).

Man this is complicated. Most americans are so shocked when I tell them how difficult it is for Brits (I mean its complicated for everyone but they seem to think Brits get the royal treatment)

Digsy
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:24 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Digsy,

You believed correctly - you were applying for an IR1 (or CR1) visa. But applying for a visa means you go to a US consulate overseas to be interviewed and issued the visa.

If you don't want to make a trip back to England, but wish to stay in the USA, then you don't want to apply for an immigrant visa (Department of State form DS-230). You want to adjust status (USCIS form I-485).

Has this thread gotten you back on track?

Regards, JEff

[Insert from a later post]

Thanks for all the help.

Digsy
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Digsy,

You believed correctly - you were applying for an IR1 (or CR1) visa. But applying for a visa means you go to a US consulate overseas to be interviewed and issued the visa.

If you don't want to make a trip back to England, but wish to stay in the USA, then you don't want to apply for an immigrant visa (Department of State form DS-230). You want to adjust status (USCIS form I-485).

Has this thread gotten you back on track?

Regards, JEff

Yeah - thanks everyone

I phoned the NVC twice today (to make sure I got the same info 2 times) and made sure I knew what I am doing.

I'm writing to the NVC to tell them I am applying to adjust to permanent resident status. Tomorrow I go for my USCIS meedical. And once I get the results on Thursday, I'll send off my I-485 to the INS.

Digsy