Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K3 visa expiring in 4 months

K3 visa expiring in 4 months

Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:58 am
Just Joined

digsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question K3 visa expiring in 4 months

I am married to an american citizen and living in the US.

I have a K3 visa and have applied for permanent residency.

My application for permanent residency is going OK (lots of forms !) and I'm completing the I-864 form currently.

My question is this - my K3 visa expires in June 2005. How do I get it renewed ?

I'm hoping that I'll have permanent residency by then but wanna make sure I have all the angles covered.

Thanks,
Digsy
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K3 visa expiring in 4 months

You don't. Once you have filed the I-485 for AOS you will be a pending AOS and in a new and ongoing status until your I-485 is approved. Remember you will need A/P if you want to travel after expiration of the K-3 and an EAD to work.

Originally Posted by digsy
I am married to an american citizen and living in the US.

My application for permanent residency is going OK (lots of forms !) and I'm completing the I-864 form currently.

My question is this - my K3 visa expires in June 2005. How do I get it renewed ?

I'm hoping that I'll have permanent residency by then but wanna make sure I have all the angles covered.

Thanks,
Digsy
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't. Once you have filed the I-485 for AOS you will be a pending AOS and in a new and ongoing status until your I-485 is approved. Remember you will need A/P if you want to travel after expiration of the K-3 and an EAD to work.

Hmmm I dont think I've filed the I-485.

My I-130 was approved in December 2002 and the case was passed to the daprtment of state National Visa Center.

They then sent me an I-864 form to complete.

So do I need to file the I-485 ?

Thanks,
Digsy
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Maybe you are getting confused with your forms - I-485 is the form to AOS and Register PR - See this link http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:50 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Digsy,

Your I-130 was approved more than 2 years ago and you are only now preparing the I-864? When did the send you the bill for the I-864 fee and when did they send you the I-864?

And what about your DS-230?

You seem to be taking a very liesurely pace with this...

Regards, JEff

Hmmm I dont think I've filed the I-485.

My I-130 was approved in December 2002 and the case was passed to the daprtment of state National Visa Center.

They then sent me an I-864 form to complete.

So do I need to file the I-485 ?

Thanks,
Digsy
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:09 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

The way to apply for permanent residency is by filling out the I-485. Your posts are contradictory.

~SecretGarden
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Maybe you are getting confused with your forms - I-485 is the form to AOS and Register PR - See this link http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm

OK so I need to do it now then ? (Good job I checked......)

I read the forms and think I know what I need to file along with the I-485 (copy of birth certificate & marriage certificate. 2 passport photos. G-325A, employment letter, copy of I-130 approval).

I'm confused about 2 other forms though.

Do I need to get an I-693 completed ? (Medical examination of aliens seeking adjustment of status) Or do I wait for them to tell me I need to do it - the forms are a bit vague.

And do I also need to file an I-864 ? (I'm pretty sure I need to do that but then the Department of State just sent me one to complete a few weeks ago).

Thanks for all the help,
Digsy
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Digsy,

Your I-130 was approved more than 2 years ago and you are only now preparing the I-864? When did the send you the bill for the I-864 fee and when did they send you the I-864?

And what about your DS-230?

You seem to be taking a very liesurely pace with this...

Regards, JEff
My DS-230 was processed on 5/9/2003.

I guess I was confused on what I needed to do - talking to the INS never seemed to be much help.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:42 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

OK so I need to do it now then ? (Good job I checked......)

I read the forms and think I know what I need to file along with the I-485 (copy of birth certificate & marriage certificate. 2 passport photos. G-325A, employment letter, copy of I-130 approval).

I'm confused about 2 other forms though.

Do I need to get an I-693 completed ? (Medical examination of aliens seeking adjustment of status) Or do I wait for them to tell me I need to do it - the forms are a bit vague.

And do I also need to file an I-864 ? (I'm pretty sure I need to do that but then the Department of State just sent me one to complete a few weeks ago).

Thanks for all the help,
Digsy
You will need a medical and an Affidavit of support.

This link should be helpful.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm

If you click through the instructions are on the following pages.

"The results of the medical examination are generally valid for only 12 months. Applicants should schedule the medical examination as close as possible to the time you file for Adjustment of Status."
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

"The results of the medical examination are generally valid for only 12 months. Applicants should schedule the medical examination as close as possible to the time you file for Adjustment of Status."
Hi:

The OP needs either a semi-competent attorney or to consult with one of the bona-fide immigration agencies such as Travelers Aid, Catholic Charities or some such.

The OP has not been a proficient DIY'er at all.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride

Thanks - thats great. I have everything covered (I am actually more organized than I sound LOL).

The only bit I dont understand is:

"If someone else is or has filed a petition for you that, if approved, will make an immigrant number immediately available to you, you must submit a copy of the completed petition that is being filed for you. Such applications include only immediate relative, special immigrant juvenile or special immigrant military petitions. For more information, please see How Do I Get an Immigrant Visa Number?."

I have an approved I-130 - is this what it means ?

Thanks,
Digsy
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - thats great. I have everything covered (I am actually more organized than I sound LOL).

"If someone else is or has filed a petition for you that, if approved, will make an immigrant number immediately available to you, you must submit a copy of the completed petition that is being filed for you. Such applications include only immediate relative, special immigrant juvenile or special immigrant military petitions. For more information, please see How Do I Get an Immigrant Visa Number?."

Thanks,
Digsy
I believe that's what it means. Just out of curiosity, why did you wait so long to AOS here in the USA? From the way it sounds, it seems like NVC is thinking you're going to be pursuing the immigrant visa back in your home country.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:18 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Digsy
Hey Digsy

That means that if an I-130 has been filed on your behalf and approved.. you will have an immigrant number immediately available to you VS Permanent resident's spouses who have to wait a long time..
What you have to do is file for AOS before your K3 expires or you will be out of status. Here is a helpful link:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm
Read on.. and if after reading you have any questions, come back and ask

Have a nice day!!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:28 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

I don't think Digsy is applying for adjustment of status. What she said was something like "I ...have applied for permanent residency."

That doesn't mean that she's applied for adjustment of status. It could also mean that she's pursuing an immigrant visa, which she's specifically said that she has done. She submitted her DS-230 immigrant visa application, and now she's working on the I-864 that the NVC sent to her.

I would be concerned that, since it's now been more than 1-1/2 years since she submitted the DS-230 and she still hasn't submitted the I-864, the NVC may have closed her case.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe that's what it means. Just out of curiosity, why did you wait so long to AOS here in the USA? From the way it sounds, it seems like NVC is thinking you're going to be pursuing the immigrant visa back in your home country.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Well I think they were confused and confused me when I talked to them on the phone.

All being well I will be filing on Thursday (after the 2nd part of my medical).

Thanks for everyones help !

Digsy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.