Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 - Waiting on an interview date - SLOW!..

K1 - Waiting on an interview date - SLOW!..

Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:35 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 - Waiting on an interview date - SLOW!..

Got Google?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jamie1875
Can anyone point me in the direction to find this 'Department Of State' number thats been mention?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to give it and yourself a break. It has been a little less than 2 weeks. You might have the patience of a gnat but it better to learn now, rather than once you have applied for adjustment of status after marriage, that government agencies run at the speed of snail.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice

Ok so good news to report!

I was skyping my fiance and told her all the advice i received on her regarding giving the Department Of State a call. So she calls up, gives the case number, my name etc etc, and then specifically asked if 'my fiances DS forms which he submitted 3 weeks ago had been received?' To which the lady replied, yep they have been received and have actually been logged into the system today for a matter of fact.

Then my fiance said that i had went for the medical 2 weeks ago and asked if those results had been received, to which she again replied yes, and that they too were logged into the system earlier today!

What a relief to hear, because i was starting to think that the DS forms had been lost in the post and that i would have to re-submit them.

But get this..

I then told my fiance that i wanted to call the expensive number again, just to see what they were saying and if it was along the same lines.

So i call them up, usual story case number name etc. I asked if there was a case update and if my DS forms and Medical results were showing on the system as being received and logged in.

She replied that unfortunatly nothing was yet showing up on the system and that theres a possible chance of delay because of the olympics, could be another 2 weeks, if i phone back in 2 weeks and still nothing that i could then email the embassy to see whats going on etc.

So when she eventually stopped talking and i could get a word in i said ''Well, it's just that my fiance in the states earlier today called up the Department Of State and was told that my case had infact been updated today and that the DS forms and Medical results are now showing in the system and logged in.

To which she replied, 'ah ok, well yeah their system is alot more accurate and up to date than ours, ours is pretty slow and sometimes doesnt show a case as being up to date when really it is, i apologize for this.

To which i said its ok and thanked her, then asked if i could definitely take what the Department Of State told me as 100% accurate, and she said yes definitely, you have now reached the ready for an interview stage and you should expect a letter with an interview date shortly.

DELIGHTED! (although not so delighted in the fact that i spent around 30 pound calling the expensive number a few times when my fiance could just pick up the phone and call the Department Of State for free and find out the same information, and in actual fact receive more upto date information!)
Old Aug 6th 2012, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

DELIGHTED! (although not so delighted in the fact that i spent around 30 pound calling the expensive number a few times when my fiance could just pick up the phone and call the Department Of State for free and find out the same information, and in actual fact receive more upto date information!)

And that is precisely why my preference is to get the info from DOS. I called the embassy once and got told similar story to yours...no info, no interview set. Then the letter came in the post and it was marked as sent 3 days before the date I was told there was nothing. I decided they either have no info but are trained to say wait, don't bother looking it up, or don't know how to look it up.

Congratulations on putting your mind to rest about lost documents.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... then asked if i could definitely take what the Department Of State told me as 100% accurate, and she said yes definitely...
She lied to you... and the US Supreme Court says she can lie to you. The DOS can lie to you also! I'm not saying they did... but they could if they wanted to.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice

HAPPIEST GUY IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW!!!!!

I got home from work today and on the kitchen table was.......MY VISA APPOINTMENT LETTER!

Couldn't believe it as it was only on Monday that my case was logged into the stystem, plus with the olympics going on i was told to expect the letter in 3 weeks but no, i got it in 5 days!!!!

But it gets even better.....i open it up and look at when the appointments for...

29TH AUGUST !!! 2 and a half weeks away!!!

I included a letter asking for an early appointment, stressing that i would take any cancelation or anything they had early and that i was very flexable. Boy am i glad i included that letter (in which i stated me and my Finance would love to get married in September) and i'm sure this has played a huge part in me getting such a quick date!

So yeah there we have it, just thought i'd share the happy news and hopefully it brightens someone else's day too who is at the latter stages of the process.

We started off our process on the 19th of December 2011 and to the interview on August 29th 2012 we've had an 8 month total process time. VERY happy at this!!

Me and my fiance have now set our date to get married for September 29th and i can't wait to prepare now to go down to London for the interview!

Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my fiance have now set our date to get married for September 29th and i can't wait to prepare now to go down to London for the interview!
Congratulations!!

Just make sure the wedding date is such that it can be changed without any problem, if need be.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:37 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Very happy for you.

Just remember not to spend any non negotiable money on tickets/wedding until you actually have the Visa!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guy's, and yeah we're being cautious until i have the visa in hand.

I have a question for you though. So i've been looking at flights to the States for around the 16th and i've noticed that basically no matter when i fly that it's a whole lot cheaper buying a return flight than it is a single.

Now obviously i'm in the States for good, i'm aware i'm not allowed to leave the country for a year etc so how would it be viewed if i booked a return flight for cost sake? Would it be an issue atall? Would they ask when i land in the US why i have a return booked? Would they be cool if i explained that it was for cost reasons?

Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guy's, and yeah we're being cautious until i have the visa in hand.

I have a question for you though. So i've been looking at flights to the States for around the 16th and i've noticed that basically no matter when i fly that it's a whole lot cheaper buying a return flight than it is a single.

Now obviously i'm in the States for good, i'm aware i'm not allowed to leave the country for a year etc so how would it be viewed if i booked a return flight for cost sake? Would it be an issue atall? Would they ask when i land in the US why i have a return booked? Would they be cool if i explained that it was for cost reasons?

Thanks
It's fine to buy a round trip flight, and then just not use the return portion. Or, put the return date out as far as you can, and use it for a visit back in the future. No one will ask why you have a return ticket, the POE agent won't know or care. No need to explain it to anyone.

I'm sure most people do this as it IS cheaper.

Rene
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:49 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's fine to buy a round trip flight, and then just not use the return portion. Or, put the return date out as far as you can, and use it for a visit back in the future. No one will ask why you have a return ticket, the POE agent won't know or care. No need to explain it to anyone.

I'm sure most people do this as it IS cheaper.

Rene
+1 it's a financial/commercial issue - has no impact on immigration issues.

BTW. It is not that you are "not allowed to leave USA" for a year or so, but if you do need to leave, there are extra steps needed.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:54 am

i'm aware i'm not allowed to leave the country for a year etc
Thanks RICH, I meant to comment on this, too.

Jamie, I'm not sure where you got the idea you can't leave the USA for a year. When you apply for AOS after marriage, part of that package includes an application for Advance Parole (AP). It takes about 60 - 90 days to get AP in hand after filing. Once you have AP in hand, you can safely leave the USA without abandoning your AOS process. So yes, you will be landlocked for a while after you first arrive on the K-1 visa, but not for a year.

Also, it should only take around 6 months to get your green card in hand after filing AOS.

Rene
Old Aug 11th 2012, 3:11 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You are not so aware as you think you are, but in any case - how would your return trip ticket be viewed by who?

Regards, JEff

i'm aware i'm not allowed to leave the country for a year etc so how would it be viewed if i booked a return flight for cost sake?
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You are not so aware as you think you are, but in any case - how would your return trip ticket be viewed by who?

Regards, JEff
Oh, here we go again. Jeff why is it that so many people on here are helpful and pleasant, yet when it comes to a comment by yourself there needs be a down putting comment or that of a sarcastic one? Baffling....

I stated that my understanding is that i'm to remain in the USA for a period of 1 year, please correct me here if my statement was wrong?! Anyways, i was thinking that once i land in the States and go through customs then reach the point where i talk to the US officer, i wasn't sure if he would have access to my flight details therefore knowing i had a return flight which would maybe i thought, cause them concern. Thats all.

Last edited by Jamie1875; Aug 11th 2012 at 8:25 am.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

sallydom is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, here we go again. Jeff why is it that so many people on here are helpful and pleasant, yet when it comes to a comment by yourself there needs be a down putting comment or that of a sarcastic one? Baffling....

I stated that my understanding is that i'm to remain in the USA for a period of 1 year, please correct me here if my statement was wrong?! Anyways, i was thinking that once i land in the States and go through customs then reach the point where i talk to the US officer, i wasn't sure if he would have access to my flight details therefore knowing i had a return flight which would maybe i thought, cause them concern. Thats all.
Oh believe me there are a few unpleasant people on here, quite upsetting when the whole process is so stressful , I actually feel sorry for them if their life is so empty that they have the time to be so nasty !! , I'm sure this will now lead to comments so GET A LIFE PEOPLE
I for one would like to wish you all the best for a long and happy life with your bride to be .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.