Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

K1 - Waiting on an interview date - SLOW!..

K1 - Waiting on an interview date - SLOW!..

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice
Default K1 - Waiting on an interview date - SLOW!..

So on June 18th my fiance received news that our petition had been approved and was being sent over to the London Embassy.

On the 19th of July i was sent a letter asking me to send them the various different forms i needed to complete. I had these done and ready, and also a copy of my birth/police certificate, evidence of financial support (my fiance's I-134 along with copies of her bank statements etc) evidence of our engagement (her ring receipt plus my wedding band, a picture of us on our engagement night, a statement of intent to marry).

So the same day i phoned up and booked my medical, they gave me an appointment for acouple days later, 24th July. So the next day (20th) i sent all the forms plus the other items and also a letter stating that i had my medical booked for the 24th and that i was willing to take any closest appointment date, that i'm free and very available and that i would even take a cancelation appointment (i thought why not, had heard that a few people have asked and got their wish and as the saying goes, if you don't ask you don't get).

So i went for my medical on Tuesday the 24th July and was told my results would be at the Embassy on the Thursday/Friday and then i would receive my interview date shortly after.

Well i called (the expensive number!!) on the Friday to check that my results had arrived and so see what the latest was, and i was told after i gave the guy my case number that my case hadn't yet been logged into the system, and they can't post out an interview date until the case is logged into the system and he told me to call back next Friday.

Well today is next Friday so i called again, and was told more or the less the exact same thing....the case isn't even in the system yet! I really wanted to know that the package i sent them with all the forms had arrived and all he could tell me was ''i'm very confident that it arrived, don't worry about that it would be very unusual if it hadn't'' and that it's usually 2-4 weeks after it arrives with them that it gets logged into the system, so it could still be another two weeks. Then i asked once it gets logged into this system is it then just a case of them posting me out an interview date that day? His response was that it could then take a further 3 weeks after that to receive my interview date in the mail, and that once i get that the mail the interview would most likely be 3-5 weeks from that point.

This is SOOO not how i thought this stage of the process would go, especially considering the ''timeline'' that VisaJourney gives! I know the olympics are on and that this could possibly be slowing things down, but i didn't think it would be to this degree!

My question is to those who reached the stage i'm currently at, the stage of waiting for your interview date after you had your medical done, how long did it take you?

Any help and information is appreciated, thanks!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 - Waiting on an interview date - SLOW!..

Originally Posted by Jamie1875
My question is to those who reached the stage i'm currently at, the stage of waiting for your interview date after you had your medical done, how long did it take you?
I'm not in your situation, so don't quote me, but my understanding is that the consulate will not book your interview appointment until they receive your medical results. And even though the results might be delivered over to the embassy within a few days, it still takes time for them to log the information in and produce an interview date, as they told you.

From the medical onwards, I'd say there's another 4 to 6 weeks to go.

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This is SOOO not how i thought this stage of the process would go, especially considering the ''timeline'' that VisaJourney gives!
And people wonder why we harp on them to not follow timelines! Other people's timelines will never be the same as yours... and even if 300 people post a similar experience, yours might still be different. Then, sadly, you end up dissapointed because you had unrealistic expectations.

Bottom line: don't try to control something you have no control over.

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

It is completely frustrating, having to wait, and not knowing how long you will have to wait. Just try to get on with something else in the meantime.

When the interview date does arrive, still not much changes. You will have travel plans to London to make etc, but there is still the interview, then wait for Visa, then book flights etc. All K1ers will relate, but looking back, it was a small price to pay, and actually, good training for how "some things are different" in USA.

Just wait till you get here and get a job offer but are still waiting for a work permit...then the permit expires and you are still waiting for the conditional green card etc. etc.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:11 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that there is a slow down on non immigrant visas while the Olympics are on. Also this time of year a lot of the US staff come home on vacation. Unfortunately past experience says things take longer end of July through August.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Jamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really niceJamie1875 is just really nice

Yeah i know i have to just be patience and wait, i think it's just because we're so close now, and we're so eager to know when the interview will be because that will give us a huge indication as to when our wedding will be!

Rene you say usually around 4-6 weeks to go after the medical, now do you mean 4-6 weeks and then it's interview time, or 4-6 weeks then you should expect the interview appointment in the mail? Or 4-6 weeks and then the case will be logged into the system?

I have to admit you guy's are totally right, following timelines is a waste of time, every case is different.

Ok time to continue the anxious wait, hopefully i hear something soon! I've found myself rushing into the kitchen as soon as i get home each day to check the mail and see if it's arrive! Haha

Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i know i have to just be patience and wait, i think it's just because we're so close now, and we're so eager to know when the interview will be because that will give us a huge indication as to when our wedding will be!

Rene you say usually around 4-6 weeks to go after the medical, now do you mean 4-6 weeks and then it's interview time, or 4-6 weeks then you should expect the interview appointment in the mail? Or 4-6 weeks and then the case will be logged into the system?

I have to admit you guy's are totally right, following timelines is a waste of time, every case is different.

Ok time to continue the anxious wait, hopefully i hear something soon! I've found myself rushing into the kitchen as soon as i get home each day to check the mail and see if it's arrive! Haha

Normal behavior! - just understand it does not change anything
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i know i have to just be patience and wait,

Have you called the Dept of State to see what they say and compare with what the embassy person says? There are people who have waited patiently 2-3 months, only to find out that their DS Forms were not received and they had to submit them again. Call DOS and find out if all three things London needs are in place, ie. logged in.
  1. Forms DS-230 part1, DS-156, DS-156K, DS-157
  2. Readiness for interview DS-2001 with cover letter
  3. Medical results received.

Your medical results probably weren't available by last Friday 27 Aug but by yesterday, they should have been able to say they were there. Maybe you didn't ask the right questions?? If nobody can even pull up a file based on your LND number, then that is worrying. It sounds like the phone person didn't really look, but just said he was confident they had arrived. Try to get a specific reply from DOS. If everything is actually there, then wait. It's not unusual for just this one week to go by since the medical was delivered, without an interview date assigned.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

sallydom is an unknown quantity at this point

So on June 18th my fiance received news that our petition had been approved and was being sent over to the London Embassy.

On the 19th of July i was sent a letter asking me to send them the various different forms i needed to complete. I had these done and ready, and also a copy of my birth/police certificate, evidence of financial support (my fiance's I-134 along with copies of her bank statements etc) evidence of our engagement (her ring receipt plus my wedding band, a picture of us on our engagement night, a statement of intent to marry).

So the same day i phoned up and booked my medical, they gave me an appointment for acouple days later, 24th July. So the next day (20th) i sent all the forms plus the other items and also a letter stating that i had my medical booked for the 24th and that i was willing to take any closest appointment date, that i'm free and very available and that i would even take a cancelation appointment (i thought why not, had heard that a few people have asked and got their wish and as the saying goes, if you don't ask you don't get).

So i went for my medical on Tuesday the 24th July and was told my results would be at the Embassy on the Thursday/Friday and then i would receive my interview date shortly after.

Well i called (the expensive number!!) on the Friday to check that my results had arrived and so see what the latest was, and i was told after i gave the guy my case number that my case hadn't yet been logged into the system, and they can't post out an interview date until the case is logged into the system and he told me to call back next Friday.

Well today is next Friday so i called again, and was told more or the less the exact same thing....the case isn't even in the system yet! I really wanted to know that the package i sent them with all the forms had arrived and all he could tell me was ''i'm very confident that it arrived, don't worry about that it would be very unusual if it hadn't'' and that it's usually 2-4 weeks after it arrives with them that it gets logged into the system, so it could still be another two weeks. Then i asked once it gets logged into this system is it then just a case of them posting me out an interview date that day? His response was that it could then take a further 3 weeks after that to receive my interview date in the mail, and that once i get that the mail the interview would most likely be 3-5 weeks from that point.

This is SOOO not how i thought this stage of the process would go, especially considering the ''timeline'' that VisaJourney gives! I know the olympics are on and that this could possibly be slowing things down, but i didn't think it would be to this degree!

Hi my case was completed by nvc on 20th July ( informed when I rang ) had email confirmation of this 30th July . Interview not untill 28th September (dear god SOOOO far away )
Don't know if this helps
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moxie
Have you called the Dept of State to see what they say and compare with what the embassy person says?
They both look at the same computer system. If one says it hasn't been logged in, unless they are a liar DOS will not see the Embassy record either.

The only reason for calling DOS is it's cheaper, they have direct email communication with the Embassy and can send them a message, and when they have access to the file they can see more of it than the call center in Scotland.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moxie
Have you called the Dept of State to see what they say and compare with what the embassy person says? There are people who have waited patiently 2-3 months, only to find out that their DS Forms were not received and they had to submit them again. Call DOS and find out if all three things London needs are in place, ie. logged in.
  1. Forms DS-230 part1, DS-156, DS-156K, DS-157
  2. Readiness for interview DS-2001 with cover letter
  3. Medical results received.

Your medical results probably weren't available by last Friday 27 Aug but by yesterday, they should have been able to say they were there. Maybe you didn't ask the right questions?? If nobody can even pull up a file based on your LND number, then that is worrying. It sounds like the phone person didn't really look, but just said he was confident they had arrived. Try to get a specific reply from DOS. If everything is actually there, then wait. It's not unusual for just this one week to go by since the medical was delivered, without an interview date assigned.
No i haven't called up the DOS yet, where can this number be found?

This is exactly my worry, that the forms haven't been received by them and i'm sitting here completely wasting my time!! I've called the expensive line twice and each time the guy said more or less the same thing.. ''i'd imagine they should have been received, yeah i think they should have'' ....Oh really, so thaaat's how the postal service works?! So nice of the kind chap to clear that up for me!

I don't like the part where you say ''If nobody can even pull up a file based on your LND number, then that is worrying.'' because yes, this is worrying me!

I've done everything correct so far and i just don't understand why the case hasn't been logged yet?!

I guess it could either be a scenario that my package with the forms that i sent them failed to arrive (which i would be mad about because i paid for special delivery!) Or i could end up calling tomorrow and be told that the case has now been logged.

Can anyone point me in the direction to find this 'Department Of State' number thats been mention? If i get home from work tomorrow and theres still nothing then i'll call up and see for the 3rd time if they can atleast tell me that they received the forms and my medical results!
Old Aug 5th 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

mikaela_jan is an unknown quantity at this point

I truly understand what you feel. I remembered with mine, I had my medical exam 28th of February and sent the forms few days before that.. but it took me two months to have my interview.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 6:01 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction to find this 'Department Of State' number thats been mention? If i get home from work tomorrow and theres still nothing then i'll call up and see for the 3rd time if they can atleast tell me that they received the forms and my medical results!
Click on my username and go to my profile. It is at the end of my extended signature, at the bottom of the page.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the part where you say ''If nobody can even pull up a file based on your LND number, then that is worrying.'' because yes, this is worrying me!

It sounded like the guy you talked to was giving you a robotic answer to just wait. That's why I suggested DOS as an alternative to see if anybody there will actually say yes, your forms are received and show up on the computer. if they also say no case found, then send all the DS forms and cover letter again. Are you sure you gave the right LND number?

The Dept of State is in the US.
(202) 663-1225, press 1, then 0 to speak to a person.

I wouldn't count on an interview letter this quick, but at least find out what has been received. A normal answer many people might get is "your forms and medical show as received and you are marked ready for interview, but an appointment has not been assigned yet." Keep asking questions until you understand the answer. Ask about the forms, readiness form and medical results individually.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:31 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

If this was your situation, you're one of the lucky ones. For most people it's get the employment authorization or the green card and then wait, and ultimately pray, for a job offer.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming ...

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by RICH
Just wait till you get here and get a job offer but are still waiting for a work permit...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.