K1 Name Query

Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:46 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default K1 Name Query

You'll ave to bear with me, this is a little complex. I have read other posts in the forum about using a deed poll to show a change of name, I just wanted to get some extra advice.

My birth certificate has the name "joe smith". When I was 3 years old my parents divorced and my father had no part in my life after that. At the age of 5, my mother remarried, and I "took on" my step-father's surname, meaning I was now under the name of "joe bloggs". No adoption process or deed poll was ever done for this to happen (I only found this out a few days ago).
I have subsequently used "joe bloggs" on everything. The only document I have with "joe smith" is my birth certificate. My national insurance and tax records are under "joe bloggs". I applied for a passport under the name of "joe bloggs" when I was 17 by including a letter from my biological father saying he had no part of my life, and with a notarisation from a JP who had known me for 5 years as "joe bloggs" (he was also my maths teacher). I have a bank account, credit cards and a drivers lisence under the name "joe bloggs".

My query concerns the documents I need to present at the K1 interview. The US Embassy in London's website states that my birth certificate must match my passport. Since mine does not, what is the best course of action?

I can get a deed poll done by a solicitor who can state that I have been using "joe bloggs" from the date of my parents marriage (and also supply my parents wedding certificate), but the deed poll will show that it was made recenlty. Will this be a problem?

Under UK law, there are 3 types of deed poll. The first is a declaration with 2 witnessess, the second is a declaration certified by a commonsioner of oaths, and the third is a declaration with a notary public.

What type of deed poll have people used in the past? Ultimately these are all the same deeds, with the difference being on who signs in.

I just need to get as much advice as I can on the type of deed poll I need to get done before I take these two documents to the embassy.

Regards,
Adam
Old Jun 27th 2006, 1:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Name Query

It is actually perfectly legal for anyone in the UK over the age of 16 to call themselves by whatever name they so desire, provided they do not intend to defraud anyone by using the new name. There is actually no formal legal process that has to be adopted for them to use their new name.

There are plenty of frree layouts to use on the net ....

Some organization may require a Statutory Declaration This is a slightly more formal legal document, which is usually only required by some of the fussier financial institutions. As you will have to pay a solicitor to have it sworn we suggest you check if your bank/building society will accept a Change of Name Deed, or insist that you swear a Statutory Declaration.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no central register of name changes in the United Kingdom