K1 to K3 - Please Help

Old Sep 4th 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

evanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura about
Default K1 to K3 - Please Help

Hi

I already have my K1 Visa approved and in my passport from US Embassy in London. Both myself (UK Citizen) and my Fiancee (US Citizen) currently live in the UK.

Due to personal reasons we would like to change our plans and marry in the UK then move to the US after.

Can anyone advise me on if it is possible to switch - and what time it might take to do this ?

Appreciate your advise
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 to K3 - Please Help

Originally Posted by evanio1978
Due to personal reasons we would like to change our plans and marry in the UK then move to the US after.
Getting married probably won't pose any problems, but... you can *not* simply switch mid-track from one visa to another. You must start over again which means that everything you have already done has been a complete and utter waste of time not only for you, but for the immigration system also. So, be prepared for a whole stack of new paperwork, new filing fees, and more waiting. You'll also have to disclose that you had already applied for and received a K-1 visa... and that may lead to questions that perhaps you don't want to answer.

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2005, 5:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 to K3 - Please Help

Originally Posted by evanio1978
Hi

I already have my K1 Visa approved and in my passport from US Embassy in London. Both myself (UK Citizen) and my Fiancee (US Citizen) currently live in the UK.

Can anyone advise me on if it is possible to switch - and what time it might take to do this ?

Appreciate your advise
Hi evanio,

You can't "switch" from a K1 to a K3, no. You can abandon the K1, get married, and then apply for either the IR-1 visa or K3 visa, but it will start from the beginning again...which takes like another 6 or 8 months or however long the process is these days. Your only hope might be that your fiance has lived in the UK long enough to qualify for DCF, but they are getting pretty strict now on that, so check with the embassy. Email or call them, tell them how long she's been in the UK, and ask if you qualify for direct consular filing...i.e., submitting the form I-130 directly there in London (as opposed to submitting it in the USA).

Personally, you already have you K1 visa in hand. I'd use it.

Good Luck,
Rene