Reload this Page >

K1 issued, but want to use VWP to visit first

K1 issued, but want to use VWP to visit first

Old Sep 17th 2018, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

01morrissonj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 issued, but want to use VWP to visit first

Good morning all,

Long story short, our wedding is planned / booked / paid / set for the end of April 2019.
My fiancée and I are expecting that I will have my K1 Visa issued and in my hand some time late November/early December 2018.

Would there be any issue if I were to visit the states (for Christmas) using the VWP / ESTA even though the K1 is issued?
Is it just a case of explaining at customs and immigration that I do have a K1 Visa but I am not using it this time (I will be using it next time) I am currently traveling under the VWP.

Thanks very much

Last edited by 01morrissonj; Sep 17th 2018 at 7:28 am.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 issued, but want to use VWP to visit first

Risky. Like always it's under the discretion of the border officer.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 12:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible, providing you are otherwise eligible, just depends on your risk tolerance. Personally I think having the visa shows that you have done the correct thing, gone through the process, and have been approved, but then again I'm not a CBP Officer.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 01morrissonj
Good morning all,

Long story short, our wedding is planned / booked / paid / set for the end of April 2019.
My fiancée and I are expecting that I will have my K1 Visa issued and in my hand some time late November/early December 2018.

Would there be any issue if I were to visit the states (for Christmas) using the VWP / ESTA even though the K1 is issued?
Is it just a case of explaining at customs and immigration that I do have a K1 Visa but I am not using it this time (I will be using it next time) I am currently traveling under the VWP.

Thanks very much
Delay the interview until January if you want to be in the US for the holiday.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

01morrissonj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Delay the interview until January if you want to be in the US for the holiday.
Thanks for the advice Rete!