Steel Warrior

Default K1 Employment Question

When will I be able to work with a K1 Visa, is it after I get married or
will I be able to work before? I read somewhere that I ask at the
immigration at the airport?

Thanks

Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:47 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 Employment Question

Originally posted by Steel Warrior

Thanks
Some people go through JFK and receive a temporary EAD stamp. I didn't get it, so I'm not 100% sure how it works, butI believe it will expire when your K1 expires after 90 days. If you don't get the EAD stamp at the POE then you will have to apply for a EAD (along with your AOS) after you get married. Depending on where you live it can take a while for you to receive it. I live in Atlanta and got married on September 10th, mailed my EAD application off around September 30th and still don't have my EAD in hand. I'm expecting it by the end of this month though. Other people who have applied for theirs after I have already received theirs.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 4:21 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Steel,

You will be able to work when you obtain both an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) and a SSC (Social Security Card). These can be obtained, or at least be applied for, either before or after you get married.

Regards, JEff

Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2004, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
When I landed at Houston I got my I94 stamped employment authorised I think this last for 90 days, as soon as I could I went to apply for my social security number. I filled in one form and the only question the person I saw at the SS office asked was I authorised to work. And that was that I too came over on a K1 visa.

I as far as I know if you have a SSN number/and you can work.