Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

k-3, I-130 approved... what next?

k-3, I-130 approved... what next?

Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

bionut will become famous soon enoughbionut will become famous soon enough
Default k-3, I-130 approved... what next?

Hi,
I just have a couple of questions about the process after the approval of the I-130. First, let me lay out the background info.

I130 NOA1 - July 19, 2003
I129F for K3 visa NOA1 - July 25, 2004
I129F NOA2 - Nov 25, 2003
K3 interview and approval - Feb 4
Feb 6 enter the US
EAD NOA1 -. Feb 17
EAD temp - May 23
NOA 2 for I-130 - July 28

OK, to sum up, my husband entered the US on a K3 and we have just got word that the I-130 has been approved. Now what?

Do we file the I485 and other forms at our local office?

OR

Do we wait to hear from the NVC and file the forms with them and have the green card interview at the consulate abroad?

Do we have a choice as our I130 has been approved before we filed AOS.?

Thanks for the help.
bionut
Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:04 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: k-3, I-130 approved... what next?

Good question(s), bionut.

I want to know.......... If you have not done AOS yet, what is the very first step after approval of the I-130. Assuming you want to finish the process in the states.

Originally posted by bionut
Hi,
I just have a couple of questions about the process after the approval of the I-130. First, let me lay out the background info.

Feb 6 enter the US
EAD NOA1 -. Feb 17
EAD temp - May 23

OK, to sum up, my husband entered the US on a K3 and we have just got word that the I-130 has been approved. Now what?

OR

Do we wait to hear from the NVC and file the forms with them and have the green card interview at the consulate abroad?

Thanks for the help.
bionut
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:33 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

nut,

You can do either of the 2 options you list.

You should understand, however, that your second option is not a "green card interview at the consulate abroad". The second option is to apply for an immigrant visa at the consulate abroad. When re-entering the US using that immigrant visa, Permanent Resident status will be granted at the POE.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by bionut
Hi,

Feb 6 enter the US
EAD NOA1 -. Feb 17
EAD temp - May 23

OR

Thanks for the help.
bionut
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:35 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Leslie,

Do AOS.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Leslie66
Good question(s), bionut.

I want to know.......... If you have not done AOS yet, what is the very first step after approval of the I-130. Assuming you want to finish the process in the states.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

Why do you advise AOS, Jeff? I am curious.

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Leslie,

Do AOS.

Regards, JEff
Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

gemmacat will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Leslie,

Do AOS.

Regards, JEff
I'm confused now.. once the K3 is approved and my husband and son comes over here (k3/k4), I wait until the I-130 is approved to file the AOS, or can I file the AOS (thats the I145, right?) when he gets here. They do NOT have to go back to England to interview again? I was planning on waiting until they were here to file the I-130 for my stepson, as he is still going back and forth on what he wants to do.
shoot.. I thought the first to steps were confusing!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:07 pm

cowboy,

Because she specifies "Assuming you want to finish the process in the states."

Kinda narrows down the 2 options available, don't you think?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
Why do you advise AOS, Jeff? I am curious.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jul 1st 2004 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:16 pm

gemma,

Originally posted by gemmacat
I'm confused now.. once the K3 is approved and my husband and son comes over here (k3/k4), I wait until the I-130 is approved to file the AOS, or can I file the AOS (thats the I145, right?) when he gets here.
When your husband can file for AOS (and that's not "I145") depends on the policy on accepting AOS applications at the District or Sub office that serves the area where you live. Or, if your local office forwards all AOS applications to the NBC for initial processing, it depends on the policy of the NBC.

They do NOT have to go back to England to interview again?
If they apply for AOS they do not have to go back to England.

I was planning on waiting until they were here to file the I-130 for my stepson, as he is still going back and forth on what he wants to do.
That's what I did for my step-son (although not for the same reason). In your circumstance you describe it sounds like you did the prudent thing.

Regards, JEff