K-3 and CR-1

Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:12 am
Just Joined

siv1uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K-3 and CR-1

Hi,

Could anyone give me an estimate on how long it takes to obtain a K3 visa and how this length of time does compares to going the CR-1 route. (Filling would go through London/Vermont). The reason i'm asking this is that there is obvious advantges of the CR-1 route (not having to sort out EAD's, AOS, AP once arrived in the US) but the downside of being apart from my better half for a longer period of time.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: K-3 and CR-1

Originally Posted by siv1uk
Hi,

Could anyone give me an estimate on how long it takes to obtain a K3 visa and how this length of time does compares to going the CR-1 route. (Filling would go through London/Vermont). The reason i'm asking this is that there is obvious advantges of the CR-1 route (not having to sort out EAD's, AOS, AP once arrived in the US) but the downside of being apart from my better half for a longer period of time.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Hi:

Notionaly speaking, the K-3 should not be necessary -- it is a Congressional band-aid on the backlogs.

As a general rule, PAST timelines are no gurantee of what YOUR timeline will be.

In order to do the K-3, you have to start the CR-1 process in any case -- if the CR-1 goes faster, so much the better. So, actually, you question is premature in asking options.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:49 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Chris

While the processing times are a guideline, rather than the be all, end all currently NBC shows K3s from March being worked on, while VSC shows they are working on 130s from last month. IF you can be patient, you could very well do the CR1 route in the same or less time than the K3 and as you said come over to the US ready to boogie rather than having to do the AOS etc. Speaking from experience it was a little tight waiting for my DH to get his EAD and that was before they took as long as they do now!!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

siv1uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
While the processing times are a guideline, rather than the be all, end all currently NBC shows K3s from March being worked on, while VSC shows they are working on 130s from last month. IF you can be patient, you could very well do the CR1 route in the same or less time than the K3 and as you said come over to the US ready to boogie rather than having to do the AOS etc. Speaking from experience it was a little tight waiting for my DH to get his EAD and that was before they took as long as they do now!!
Hi cindyabs,

Thanks got getting back to me. As you point out, it says they are processing I-130s for October at VSC. Once they have started processing do you have a guesstimate as to when they would be finally approved?. I guess this question applies to K3s at NBC.

Thanks

Chris
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:39 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cindyabs,

Thanks got getting back to me. As you point out, it says they are processing I-130s for October at VSC. Once they have started processing do you have a guesstimate as to when they would be finally approved?. I guess this question applies to K3s at NBC.

Thanks

Chris

The processof transferring your file from the Service Center to NVC and then NVC to the Embassy, once you get either your 130 or K3 is usually within a month's time. Then it is the Embassy who will go on from there for the K3-packet 3 (to include the 134) and interview and medical, sending that to you in the UK.
For the CR1, NVC will transfer the file to the embassy, BUT they (NVC) will be mailing your wife the paperwork she will fill out and "bills" for the fingerprinting and the CR1 visa, which she will be mailing back to them, BEFORE the Embassy will send your final packet info and interview notice.
In the meantime, either way you need that Police Certificate and your vaccination record (appropriate vacs are on Embassy website based on your age). Your wife needs to get her ducks in a row for the 134/and or 864 depending on which route you choose, letter from her employer, tax info etc.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 3:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

cindy!

An I-129f usually moves through the NVC in a month's time, but an I-130 - going through the steps that you outlined - does not.

Regards, JEff

The processof transferring your file from the Service Center to NVC and then NVC to the Embassy, once you get either your 130 or K3 is usually within a month's time. Then it is the Embassy who will go on from there for the K3-packet 3 (to include the 134) and interview and medical, sending that to you in the UK.
For the CR1, NVC will transfer the file to the embassy, BUT they (NVC) will be mailing your wife the paperwork she will fill out and "bills" for the fingerprinting and the CR1 visa, which she will be mailing back to them, BEFORE the Embassy will send your final packet info and interview notice.
In the meantime, either way you need that Police Certificate and your vaccination record (appropriate vacs are on Embassy website based on your age). Your wife needs to get her ducks in a row for the 134/and or 864 depending on which route you choose, letter from her employer, tax info etc.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:21 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
cindy!

An I-129f usually moves through the NVC in a month's time, but an I-130 - going through the steps that you outlined - does not.

Regards, JEff

Jeff,
Beg to differ a bit-I said that the 130 will get transferred to London in a month's time, I did NOT say that the 130 process was COMPLETED in a month's time................which is why I mentioned the forms/fees that had to be paid to NVC BEFORE London will in turn send out the packet and set up an interview. That is where it diverges from the K3 process.
Since I am undergoing this process I know how it works or is supposed to-I wouldn't speak to other embassies, etc, but at least I can about the one I am, like Chris, dealing with.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

cindy,

OK, I understand now what you meant, but what you said was, "either your 130 or K3 is usually within a month's time".

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards, JEff

Jeff,
Beg to differ a bit-I said that the 130 will get transferred to London in a month's time, I did NOT say that the 130 process was COMPLETED in a month's time................which is why I mentioned the forms/fees that had to be paid to NVC BEFORE London will in turn send out the packet and set up an interview. That is where it diverges from the K3 process.
Since I am undergoing this process I know how it works or is supposed to-I wouldn't speak to other embassies, etc, but at least I can about the one I am, like Chris, dealing with.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:54 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
cindy,

OK, I understand now what you meant, but what you said was, "either your 130 or K3 is usually within a month's time".

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards, JEff

I forgot, I was replying to the King of Klarification, . Tee hee. I know I know, I would be the Countess of Confusion.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 7:57 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff,

My I-130 was approved about a month ago and it finally reached NVC! (They received my case November 10), my case number starts with MDD now.. I believe the MDD is for Madrid, Hope they don't send it out there.. do I have to call and tell them I would like to AOS here?
I have another question.. our second anniversary will be July 26.. I was thinking to wait to file a little while so I could get my green card without conditions.. can I do that?, or do I have to file right away because an immigrant number is available to me?
Thanks

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Nov 17th 2004 at 8:05 pm.