Reload this Page >

The Questions Immigration Officals Ask and Our Rights On H4 Multi Entry

The Questions Immigration Officals Ask and Our Rights On H4 Multi Entry

Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

dignity is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry The Questions Immigration Officals Ask and Our Rights On H4 Multi Entry

Hi All,

You know, don't you just get fed up being treated badly when coming into the USA?

The last couple of times have been hassle free, but prior to that, the amount of questions I have been asked is unbelieveable.

Now, I have an H4 multi entry visa, which, I believe, means I can come and go as I please!? I often get asked to consult in other countries and therefore do just that as I cannot earn my living here.

Trying to explain to the Officers...well it gets tiring after a while.

My question to you is: What can they ask? What are our rights?

Cheers

Diggers
MA
Old Nov 16th 2004, 4:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Questions Immigration Officals Ask and Our Rights On H4 Multi Entry

They can virtually ask whatever they wish. Remember even with an H-4B visa you are still a guest in this country and the agent at the POE has every right to determine the validity of your status, your intentions at the present and in the future, etc.

Originally Posted by dignity
Hi All,

You know, don't you just get fed up being treated badly when coming into the USA?

The last couple of times have been hassle free, but prior to that, the amount of questions I have been asked is unbelieveable.

Now, I have an H4 multi entry visa, which, I believe, means I can come and go as I please!? I often get asked to consult in other countries and therefore do just that as I cannot earn my living here.

Cheers

Diggers
MA
Old Nov 16th 2004, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: The Questions Immigration Officals Ask and Our Rights On H4 Multi Entry

Originally Posted by Rete
They can virtually ask whatever they wish. Remember even with an H-4B visa you are still a guest in this country and the agent at the POE has every right to determine the validity of your status, your intentions at the present and in the future, etc.
Yes, I guess so, but why issue a multi entry visa, if, every time you travel, there is an imminent grilling?

If you say the "wrong" thing it gets worse! I was once told I "look too smartly dressed to have been on vacation." Is THAT fair?

At the moment I am processing my work permit for one of the OECS and I am travelling a bit. I can prove that...but what is the right approach to all this?

Anyone had similar problems, particularly at Logan?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I guess so, but why issue a multi entry visa, if, every time you travel, there is an imminent grilling?

If you say the "wrong" thing it gets worse! I was once told I "look too smartly dressed to have been on vacation." Is THAT fair?

At the moment I am processing my work permit for one of the OECS and I am travelling a bit. I can prove that...but what is the right approach to all this?

Even citizens take a grilling every now and again.
Don't answer rhetorical statements (like the 'looked too smart' comment), smile and do answer direct questions honestly.

You'll find experiences like this posted for any POE, just as you'll find pleasant experiences. I've read both for Logan, including a positive one that went above and beyond the call of duty. It is a crap shoot which you'll get, but your own attitude (hey, not saying you had an 'attitude'!) can be helpful or not. Be like a duck and let it roll off your back like water -- you'll be much happier in the long run.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:29 pm
J. J. Farrell

dignity <member10217@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    >
    > You know, don't you just get fed up being treated badly when coming
    > into the USA?
    >
    > The last couple of times have been hassle free, but prior to that, the
    > amount of questions I have been asked is unbelieveable.
    >
    > Now, I have an H4 multi entry visa, which, I believe, means I can come
    > and go as I please!?

Not at all. It means you can apply to enter the USA as an H-4.
There's no obligation on them to let you do so.

> I often get asked to consult in other countries and
    > therefore do just that as I cannot earn my living here.
    >
    > Trying to explain to the Officers...well it gets tiring after a while.
    >
    > My question to you is: What can they ask?

Whatever they feel they need to ask to be convinced that you are
eligible to be allowed in as an H-4, and that you will keep yourself
in status. The more obvious areas are: that your associated H-1B is
in valid H-1B status; that you are in an appropriate relationship
with the holder of the H-1B; and that you won't be doing any work in
the USA. Their basic assumption is that you are not eligible, and
it's up to you to prove that you are. If you're lucky, just having
a visa is enough to convince them (as it seems to have been for
your last couple of entries).

> What are our rights?

Very few in practical terms. I think you have the right to a hearing
in front of a judge if they refuse you entry, but I'm not sure of
that. Your main relevant right is to choose not to apply to enter
the USA ...

Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:53 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Dear Dignity,

Don't get stressed out. Leave your dignity home before you come to the border and you will be fine People can be politically correct all they want, but I will tell you the truth. You have no rights! and yes, the immigration officer have full control over your future and he can ruin your life if he chooses to do so. Moral of the story, leave your dignity home and stop being sensitive!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MJ23
Dear Dignity,

Don't get stressed out. Leave your dignity home before you come to the border and you will be fine People can be politically correct all they want, but I will tell you the truth. You have no rights! and yes, the immigration officer have full control over your future and he can ruin your life if he chooses to do so. Moral of the story, leave your dignity home and stop being sensitive!
Mj23: Actually the user name is after a fabulous song by a superb band Deacon Blue. And, sorry I don't go anywhere without it!

Thank you to the other people who replied...I appreciate your feedback. At least you provided me with some insight and thoughts.

MJ23: Chip on your shoulder?

Cheers

Diggers
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:28 am
David Ge

dignity <member10217@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > They can virtually ask whatever they wish. Remember even with an H-4B
    > > visa you are still a guest in this country and the agent at the POE
    > > has every right to determine the validity of your status, your
    > > intentions at the present and in the future, etc.
    >
    > Yes, I guess so, but why issue a multi entry visa, if, every time you
    > travel, there is an imminent grilling?
    >
    > If you say the "wrong" thing it gets worse! I was once told I "look too
    > smartly dressed to have been on vacation." Is THAT fair?
    >

My dear friend,

I am not an American . I am now just seeking a chance for America. I
mean, I am with the same line with you.

But, the world IS unfair, right? Think about the people longing for a
chance to enter US but would never get it. You are much much even
luckier.

Just easy and take it.

And good luck.

> At the moment I am processing my work permit for one of the OECS and I
    > am travelling a bit. I can prove that...but what is the right approach
    > to all this?
    >
    > Anyone had similar problems, particularly at Logan?

Old Nov 17th 2004, 4:50 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Cheers

Diggers
MA
It just so terrible that you have to answer questions when coming to join your spouse who is making money in the US.

You have very few rights at the border. You have no right to remain silent, and you have no right to prevent the search of your belongings. Refusing to answer questions will get you a cancelled visa, a one way ticket out of the US, and a five year bar from coming back.

I can't tell if you are male or female. If male, it's no surprise that you get hassled. It may be stereotypical, but not many males sit at home and watch cartoons while their spouse works. They may be concerned that you are taking unauthorized employment while in the US.

It's their job to ask questions. They're doing it. If they didn't, then it would be a lot harder for your family to earn money here because half of the planet would be here to take the H1 jobs for much less than your spouse is getting.

Take care.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:23 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Mj23: Actually the user name is after a fabulous song by a superb band Deacon Blue. And, sorry I don't go anywhere without it!

Thank you to the other people who replied...I appreciate your feedback. At least you provided me with some insight and thoughts.

MJ23: Chip on your shoulder?

Cheers

Diggers
Last time I checked, I wasn't the one who whined about being asked questions on the border I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I was just trying to get you out of your fantacy world where you actually thought that the immigration officer should be giving you hugs and kisses and thanking you for gracing the US with your presence
Old Nov 17th 2004, 4:05 pm
Seamus B

"crg14624" <member20421@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> Hi All,
    > It just so terrible that you have to answer questions when coming to
    > join your spouse who is making money in the US.

Hehe, when answering questions, always remember, you (or your family) are
taking at least $70K/year from some stupid fat and lazy american. That
should make you smile, irregardless of what minimum-wage bureacrats ask you
    :)

> You have very few rights at the border. You have no right to remain
    > silent, and you have no right to prevent the search of your belongings.
    > Refusing to answer questions will get you a cancelled visa, a one way
    > ticket out of the US, and a five year bar from coming back.

find a clever and way to answer their questions (you can say things you want
without resorting to lies), they are not that smart "at the border", and
certainly make less money than you will :) remember also, when you in, you
can basically do whatever you want :)

> I can't tell if you are male or female. If male, it's no surprise that
    > you get hassled. It may be stereotypical, but not many males sit at
    > home and watch cartoons while their spouse works. They may be concerned
    > that you are taking unauthorized employment while in the US.

if you have hands, you will have no problems with "staying at home and
watching cartoons". do not worry about that :)

> It's their job to ask questions. They're doing it. If they didn't,
    > then it would be a lot harder for your family to earn money here because
    > half of the planet would be here to take the H1 jobs for much less than
    > your spouse is getting.
    > Take care.

good luck taking over high-paying jobs from fat, lazy, stupid and
incompetent people ;)

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 17th 2004, 9:27 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seamus B
Hehe, when answering questions, always remember, you (or your family) are
taking at least $70K/year from some stupid fat and lazy american. That
should make you smile, irregardless of what minimum-wage bureacrats ask you

If you research it, the pay cap for the guys at the border is $105,000, and 120,000 for supervisors.