Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Just Married- filing for AOS in Detroit

Just Married- filing for AOS in Detroit

Old Sep 27th 2001, 9:07 pm
Jkorf1

hi everyone, I just got married to my american husband on Sept. 22, my fiance visa
will expire on Oct. 22.... do we have enough time to get the AOS approved, and could
anyone tell me how long that might take? Any advice is being greatly appreciated!
C.K.

Old Sep 27th 2001, 10:53 pm
Onigiri

We hear that you do Walk-in filing and if all the forms are there, neatly presented
and both are present the AoS happens the same day and you get your passport stamped
with I-551 stamp. Another location that does this same day service is Dallas-INS.

>
    >
    >
anyone
    >
    >

Old Sep 28th 2001, 5:29 am
Shelley

Lucky you! Detroit is one of three offices that do walk-in same day AOS for K-1ers.
All you have to do is take your AOS package to the INS office, make sure you have all
your forms filled out, the $220 fee (this office does not take cash, but does take
personal checks or money orders according to their web page), a copy of your marriage
license, and a few photos from your wedding. If everything is correct you will leave
a conditional permanent resident with your I-551 stamp. You will not need to get an
EAD card or Advance Parole. See the Detroit INS page for office hours
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fi...it/aboutus.htm Sure beats the 19
months my husband waited, not to mention have to renew the EAD and AP. HOWEVER - do
not go to the INS office on October 1st (or 2nd or 3rd). Since this is the beginning
of the INS fiscal year, this is the first day all Green Card lottery winners can go
to the INS office. It will be very, very crowded. Congrats on your marriage. Take
Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
anyone
    >
    >