Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Just arrived does my PRC get sent automatically

Just arrived does my PRC get sent automatically

Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Gareth.AR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just arrived does my PRC get sent automatically

Thanks for all the information. I ha e been a long time reader on here but this is my first time posting. Yeah I have been looking into it for a long time. It’s taken my wife and I over 2 years to get this far. I found that there was very little information on the current process after arrival and that most of the websites have different information.
For example I completed the DS260 that asks if they can share information with Social security to get your social security number for you. But most of the documentation from the embassy and online tells you that you have to request one here, so since it’s on my documentation I went in just in case, after all I’d rather be safe than sorry

Edit* also I should note that we have done all this our selves without a immigration Lawyer
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Some people have been lucky and have gotten their SS# without having to apply once in the US by checking the box on the DS260. But then again many have not. Generally, one waits 10 days for it to arrive and if it doesn't then they go in person to check if one is being processed and if not, then they apply for the SS#.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Some people have been lucky and have gotten their SS# without having to apply once in the US by checking the box on the DS260. But then again many have not. Generally, one waits 10 days for it to arrive and if it doesn't then they go in person to check if one is being processed and if not, then they apply for the SS#.
My wife received her SS# card exactly 10 days after arrival. Things have gone scarily well so far so my advice to OP is just chill and give it a bit more time. Were just waiting for Green Card (which we paid prior to entering states). We also used a family friends address for all this stuff to b posted to.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks AndyMan74,
I’m pleased to hear things are going well.
We have used my Wife’s Grandparents as the address to send everything to as my wife had been living with me in the UK for years.
She came out ahead of me by about a month and and now i have just got here, her grand parents have been very nice and helpful in opening their home to us and letting us stay here while we find our feet.

EDIT
Also thanks Rete, I appreciate all the info. Is there ny reason they might stamp a legend on my card? Other than an administration error of course. As far as i was aware, as a spouse of a US Citizen and with an IR1 visa i should be able to work? Either way i will definitely keep my eyes open for it when it does arrive.

Last edited by Gareth.AR; Apr 4th 2018 at 1:12 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gareth.AR
Thanks AndyMan74,

EDIT
Also thanks Rete, I appreciate all the info. Is there ny reason they might stamp a legend on my card? Other than an administration error of course. As far as i was aware, as a spouse of a US Citizen and with an IR1 visa i should be able to work? Either way i will definitely keep my eyes open for it when it does arrive.
No, it would just be a clerical error. If it appears, take it immediately back to the SS office and have a new one issued (same number) but without the legend.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks again Rete i will be sure to do that