Reload this Page >

Just arrived does my PRC get sent automatically

Just arrived does my PRC get sent automatically

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Gareth.AR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just arrived does my PRC get sent automatically

Hello,
I have just arrived and wondered if anyone here can help me. I received my Visa after being sponsored by my wife who is a US citizen. We have been married over 2 years so its a IR1 not a CR1. I arrived on the 29th March and entered via Denver. I am now in the Little Rock area of AR.

I Have checked on USCIS and under the Consular processing section it states that if i have paid the entry fee i should get my green card PRC in the mail. But on one of the documents the embassy gave me it states that i need to request it when i am here. That document states that the port of entry should have given me an application document. They did not give me one. I am confused now as to if i will get one or not. I phoned USCIS but the lady said that their computers are down, she thinks they should have given me a document but cant check or find out as they couldn’t transfer calls. I have called them 2 x now and not been able to get an answer. I cant call the embassy and when i asked the question on USCIS support i got a canned reply that didn’t help and marked as solved!

I was wondering if anyone else has entered recently and can shed some light on this?

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived does my PRC get sent automatically

The "green card production fee" is typically paid prior to traveling to the USA. I'm sure you would know if you paid it already. What fees did you pay back in the UK, after your visa interview?

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

I paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee, which it states “Covers the cost of processing your immigrant visa package and your perminant resident card”
I paid that before leaving the UK.

The wording on the USCIS consular processing website makes it sound like the card is all sorted and sent automatically. (Wanted to post link to page but it wont let me but its on USCIS under Green crad and then under Consular Processing)

But one of the documents i was given in the UK before leaving by the Embassy states “When you show your immigrant visa and sealed visa package to immigration officials at the U.S. port of entry, they will give you the forms necessary for the Perminant Resident Card (PRC), commonly known as a Green Card” but when i entered the US all the CBP officer did was look at my passport and Visa, open the sealed envelope and check all the documents, he then stamped my pass port and shook my hand and said “welcome to the United States” and that was it. So i looked at the USCIS website under Consular-Processing and saw that and just thought oh i guess its changed since the embassy issued my document. But the longer i am here the more I’m worrying.
I was hoping someone would have been through this recently and could let me know.
Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

I think the GC processing fee can be paid in either country, but I've mostly heard of it being paid abroad, prior to US entry. I also thought it was a separate amount from the immigrant visa fee, to be paid AFTER the visa issuance. The instructions for payment should have come in the same envelope as your passport and sealed envelope.

How much did you pay for the fee you mentioned? That might give us a clue whether it was combined in there or not.

You have time to sort it out, since you have the 1-year I-551 endorsement now anyway as proof of your PR status. Don't stress.

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

There was only a one page sheet in with the packet and my passport, the fee i paid was $220 and was paid in the UK before leaving, it does say it can be paid after arrival. And as i said it state it also covers processing my perminant resident card.

I also phoned USCIS yesterday and today but there system was down and they could not help me.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

From what you have written the "document" is only an informational sheet which is generic in nature.

Since your production fee has already been paid and the receipt most likely in the sealed envelope you gave up at the POE, your green card will be send to you automatically.

You have only been in the US for 5 days. Please be patient as the paperwork needs to be sent from the POE to the USCIS and the card production authorized. Most have indicated that they have received the actual green card 4 to 8 weeks after arrival.

You have the I-551 stamp in your passport and that should be valid for 1 year. Stop fretting and use this time to settle in, get your social security card, driver's license, and find employment (if you are wishing to work).
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rete,

That makes me feel a little better. I know i’ve not been here long, i was just worrying.

I have started trying to get my DL but the system for the I-94 has apparently crashed, had to call them as i cant print my recent one its only showing me the old I-94 from my last visit.

I have applied for Social Security yesterday morning at the social security office in Sherwood AR. I was offered a job on Sunday but i can’t until i get my SSN. They said their system is currently down too and it should take 2 weeks but currently could be up to a month Seems I’m the victim of some poor timing.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 11:41 pm

You certainly CAN get hired without a SSN. The employer should use a "dummy" number and then update the record when you get your number.

Rene
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gareth.AR
I have started trying to get my DL but the system for the I-94 has apparently crashed, had to call them as i cant print my recent one its only showing me the old I-94 from my last visit.
Permanent residents don't get issued with an I-94 so there won't be for your most recent entry.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Really?
It states on the Arkansas Drivers Licece Study Guide in the Drivers licence requirements it states “Forign Passport with Visa and I-94”. When i went into the Arkansas State Police Headquarters to take the test they looked through my documents and said i needed the I-94.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Really?
It states on the Arkansas Drivers Licece Study Guide in the Drivers licence requirements it states “Forign Passport with Visa and I-94”. When i went into the Arkansas State Police Headquarters to take the test they looked through my documents and said i needed the I-94.
Yes, that will only apply to people here on nonimmigrant visas.

Permanent residents need to present their green card, but the immigrant visa in your passport serves as a green card for one year while you wait for the plastic card to arrive in the mail.

You will need your social security number though to get a drivers license.

DMV staff often have no idea how to process immigrants, especially in more rural areas where it's not that common so you may have to speak to a supervisor and argue the point.

It even says on the I94 website "U.S. Citizen and Lawful Permanent Resident travel is NOT provided on this website."

Last edited by Olly_; Apr 4th 2018 at 12:16 am.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks Olly,
I have noticed they don’t really explain much here, they just seem to look through a tick sheet and send you away. I appreciate the info.
I guess i will just try to relax and wait for the SSN
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete,

That makes me feel a little better. I know i’ve not been here long, i was just worrying.

I have applied for Social Security yesterday morning at the social security office in Sherwood AR. I was offered a job on Sunday but i can’t until i get my SSN. They said their system is currently down too and it should take 2 weeks but currently could be up to a month Seems I’m the victim of some poor timing.
For what Rene posted.

I don't believe you have an I-94. You have an IR-1 visa in your passport which has been stamped and shows the I-551 stamp.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 4th 2018 at 12:30 am. Reason: Also answered by Olly
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:32 am
Concierge

Thanks Olly,
I have noticed they don’t really explain much here, they just seem to look through a tick sheet and send you away. I appreciate the info.
I guess i will just try to relax and wait for the SSN
No, they don't explain. They are different government agencies and neither know what the other is doing. I rather doubt that it is much different in the UK.

You can accept the position and explain that the I-551 is your "paper" green card and that your social security number has been applied for. As Rene posted, you can start work and the employer can use 000-00-0000 for your social security number until you supply them with the official number.

I see that you are very new to the site but have you done any research at all about the immigration process and what happens at the port of entry and afterwards? I'm so sorry you are so very confused about it all.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:36 am
Concierge

A big PS

When your social security card comes in the mail, please be sure that it is not stamped with a legend that states you need USCIS authorized to work. I don't remember the correct language used.

Your green card should be free of any legends.

In fact, if you don't take the offered employment, when you do find another position, you only have to show them your driver's license (if you have it by then) and your social security card. You do not have to show them your green card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.