Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Jamaican Embassy HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Jamaican Embassy HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

ricardoswife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jamaican Embassy HELP PLEASE!!!!!

So I have gone through this process 100 times but now that I finally got my NOA 2 I feel like I don't remember anything. My main question is: when it comes to the embassy in Kingston do I need to wait to recieve packet 3 before getting police certificate or can I tell my husband to go this week? I know that Jamaica only has a packet 3....just so much info to try to remeber. We are almost there and I don't want to waste a day. Thanks !
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Dorceia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jamaican Embassy HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Originally posted by ricardoswife
So I have gone through this process 100 times but now that I finally got my NOA 2 I feel like I don't remember anything. My main question is: when it comes to the embassy in Kingston do I need to wait to recieve packet 3 before getting police certificate or can I tell my husband to go this week? I know that Jamaica only has a packet 3....just so much info to try to remeber. We are almost there and I don't want to waste a day. Thanks !
Congratulations!!! Your husband can pickup packet 3 only if the consulate has rec'd it. He must have the original approval letter. Once he receives the packet he has to call and make an appt for his medical exam $95.00US. Make sure he has his vaccination card w/up to date vaccinations or he will be charged for them during his exam. Once his exam is completed he can pay the visa fee $100.00US and make his visa appt. He must allow 2 days for the consulate to receive medical exam. You can make the appt online at:
usembassy.state.gov/kingston. Make sure you have receipt # from Paymaster. Or he can call himself the tel# will be on the receipt with instructions. Good Luck!!
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

He can go get the police clearance ahead of time, it is more expensive if you want it expedited. They told my husband to go home and wait for the packet to come in the mail, but it never did. They finally gave it to him in person, but only after a revised letter of intent from me and a reminder about the section of consular law that allows them to extend the approval notice. While he was following their advice to let it come in the mail, the approval notice expired and they told him to have me resend the original petition. Even on later visits on AP, there was never anything in the mail.
I would bone up on patience and polite assertiveness. You may need it. Good luck!
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry I overlooked the part re: police certificate. My husband had his done over two months ago and he did expedite it (3 day period). The cost was around $50.00 for the expedited service.
His packet did arrive in the mail seven days after the consulate said they mailed it. This is not the norm for the mail system in Jamaica. Once you know the consulate has received his petition, he can go directly to the information line at the consulate between the hours of 7:15am-10:00am only and pickup the packet 3. The number to the consulate is 876-929-4850. You can only call between 1:30pm-3:30pm re: K3/K1 visa.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

dcrenea is on a distinguished road

Hi,

When my fiance did it, he applied for the police certificate before he got packet 3. I think he received packet 3 in the mail within 1 week after the embassy at Kingston mailed it.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

ricardoswife is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of your help guys!!! I have one more question( (atleast for right now.) I have heard conflicting reports about where my husband should go to get his police record. Does he go to the police heard quarters in kingston or some other place? Furhter more what does he need to bring with him when he goes? Does he need his passport, id, or does he need something from me or the embassy? Does he let them know it is for a k-3 visa. I just want to be able to tell him specifics so he won't feel overwhelmed! Thanks
Originally posted by dcrenea
Hi,

When my fiance did it, he applied for the police certificate before he got packet 3. I think he received packet 3 in the mail within 1 week after the embassy at Kingston mailed it.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all of your help guys!!! I have one more question( (atleast for right now.) I have heard conflicting reports about where my husband should go to get his police record. Does he go to the police heard quarters in kingston or some other place? Furhter more what does he need to bring with him when he goes? Does he need his passport, id, or does he need something from me or the embassy? Does he let them know it is for a k-3 visa. I just want to be able to tell him specifics so he won't feel overwhelmed! Thanks
He has to go to the Kingston office with his passport. Unless things have changed since my husband went through, he doesn't need anything from the embassy. My husband got his before he got his packet. I know that it is frightening for someone who is not from Kingston to go there, believe me. Try to have him filter out the freelance info he is getting on the island, that can range from misleading to wrong.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

I believe it is located in Kingston. My husband just told them that he needed a police certificate for the consulate. I will verify this when I speak with Winston and I will email you. I think that a police certificate is the some for all situations. No, he doesn't need anything from you. Yes, he may need his passport for I.D.

Last edited by Dorceia; Feb 24th 2004 at 8:48 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

dcrenea is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I think he has to go to the CIB in Kingston, and all he needs is his passport and maybe 2 passport pictures (unsure about the pictures though) but if he calls there, they can tell him all he needs. It's an easy process.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

He *must* take 2 passport fotos along with him.

Also - he should take his passport. I recommend taking a drivers lic too if he has one. And yes, he can only get the Police cert at the head office in Kingston.