Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Indefinite Leave to Enter/Spousal Visa what benefits am I entitled to?

Indefinite Leave to Enter/Spousal Visa what benefits am I entitled to?

Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

infotec28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Indefinite Leave to Enter/Spousal Visa what benefits am I entitled to?

Hello,

On the flip side of the coin, I have finally arrived in the United Kingdom.

I came via Indefinite Leave to Enter (Spousal Visa)

I would like to know what benefits I am entitled to (If any) I read somewhere that I am entitled to an NHS card but don't know how to go about doing that. (Presently unemployed) but the market is so much better for computer jobs I can't see that happening much longer.

This is the list of benefits that I have noted that I am not entitled to:

Public Funds

The following is a list of those benefits that are classified, for immigration purposes, as Public Funds:

Income Support/Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
Housing and homelessness allowance
Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefit
Working families tax credit
a social fund payment
Child Benefit
any disability allowance

What am I entitled to?

I was wondering if I am in fact entitled to NHS (what the premiums would be if any)

Legal aide?

Job seekers services (Job Centre)

Thanks for advice.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Indefinite Leave to Enter/Spousal Visa what benefits am I entitled to?

Originally posted by infotec28
Hello,

On the flip side of the coin, I have finally arrived in the United Kingdom.

I came via Indefinite Leave to Enter (Spousal Visa)

I would like to know what benefits I am entitled to (If any) I read somewhere that I am entitled to an NHS card but don't know how to go about doing that. (Presently unemployed) but the market is so much better for computer jobs I can't see that happening much longer.

This is the list of benefits that I have noted that I am not entitled to:

Public Funds

The following is a list of those benefits that are classified, for immigration purposes, as Public Funds:

Income Support/Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
Housing and homelessness allowance
Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefit
Working families tax credit
a social fund payment
Child Benefit
any disability allowance

What am I entitled to?

I was wondering if I am in fact entitled to NHS (what the premiums would be if any)

Legal aide?

Job seekers services (Job Centre)

Thanks for advice.
Once you are a legal resident, you are eligible for NHS care. There is no waiting period and no premiums. This is for as long as you are a resident in the UK (and can prove it). Once (if) you leave, the benefit goes away and it doesn't matter how long you lived in the UK or how much you may have paid into the system.

I can find the web site that outlines this if you need it. I can't remember it off the top of my head.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey that is pretty cool, thank you for that input.

How do I register for it? If anyone knows.

also...what about legal aide if anyone knows...

and other benefits if any?

Thanks
Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:06 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey that is pretty cool, thank you for that input.

How do I register for it? If anyone knows.

also...what about legal aide if anyone knows...

and other benefits if any?

Thanks
Pop down to your local doctors and sign up. For legal aid see a legal aid solictor. Can your spouse not house and support you?
Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:24 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am a british citizen and spent 3 years living in Hong Kong. When I came back to UK at the end of that period, I was not entitled to any benefits, even though I had been a contributing tax payer for 12 years before that (and had put my life on the line as a soldier in the falklands war & NI).

New residents and immigrants seem to get a lot more benefits than returning citizens

Chris
Old Feb 29th 2004, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you for the info....my wife is pregnant and we are scraping by....I should be working really soon...but since she is at the latter stages of her pregnancy she cannot work. We are staying at a council flat which was an understood and pre-existing condition approved by the british consulate...
Old Feb 29th 2004, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

...also on the legal aide....did you mean that I am entitled to that benefit?

Thanks
Old Mar 1st 2004, 1:58 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

...also on the legal aide....did you mean that I am entitled to that benefit?

Thanks
Think you can find out via Citizens advice bureau..look in yellow pages perhaps for your nearest one or speak to a solicitor.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Well I am a british citizen and spent 3 years living in Hong Kong. When I came back to UK at the end of that period, I was not entitled to any benefits, even though I had been a contributing tax payer for 12 years before that (and had put my life on the line as a soldier in the falklands war & NI).

New residents and immigrants seem to get a lot more benefits than returning citizens

Chris
Chris - similar experience. Was only away from UK for 18 months before returning in Dec. Prior to departing UK ,husband and I had 23 years full time work in UK between us (me 9 years, him 14, and we're British).
Husband only found work last week so we've had no income for 11 weeks - we're not entitled to a single thing - no job seekers allowance for him and no maternity allowance for me. The previous years contributing to the UK purse seem to count for nothing....grumble...grumble....
Old Mar 5th 2004, 12:59 pm
DarrenD

Default Re: Indefinite Leave to Enter/Spousal Visa what benefits am I entitled to?

My wife was here on a spouse visa. (Now converted to UK passport)

Indefinite leave entitlements:
1) Apply at DSS office for National Insurance card. Take your passport. This gives the same NHS treatment as anyone else. Also needed for employment

2) Child benefit can be issued, but in your partners name (i.e. you wont get National Insurance paid)

3) Anyone can use a job centre - no charge

4) No one gets legal aid (only kidding, but really really tight rules for who does)!

5) my understanding was that tax credit applies to Indefinete Leave, but check with IR (0845 300 3900). Inland Revenue says:I have 'no recourse to public funds' stamped on my passport. Am I entitled to tax credits?

It depends. If you are married to, or have a partner who is a UK national, you may be entitled to tax credits, providing you satisfy all the other qualifying criteria.

If you are single or both you and your partner have 'no recourse to public funds' stamped in your passport(s), even though you may have leave to enter or remain in the UK, you are not entitled to tax credits

6) Phone immigration and a tax office for advice about what you can claim. Immigration & Revenue often disagree.

Thats about it. Best advice is asap (3 yrs), get citizenship (whether you agree with what youre saying or not), then you can do what you want.