Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:15 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You are correct. If it's just the two of you, the visa won't be denied if his income is above the minimum poverty level.

Rene
You didn't mean "poverty", right, you meant "income"?
Old Jan 9th 2015, 9:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
You didn't mean "poverty", right, you meant "income"?
Whatever it's called on the I-864P.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2015, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishBeauty
Are you saying that we'd be declined based on that?
There seems to be a lot of noise is this thread - much of it irrelevant at best, and misleading at worst. His week-to-week pay is largely irrelevant. The pay stubs are included to show that he is currently employed. As long as his tax returns show that he annually earns above the 125% poverty level (see I-864P), there likely won't be an issue.

... it was my understanding that as long as he met the requirement and had somewhere for us to live, which he does then we shouldn't have a problem.
To clarify: there is no requirement that he actually has a place to live; there is no requirement that he be able to afford health care; and there is no requirement that he can actually afford to live in the US.

Of course, more money is better... but not as far as US immigration is concerned - so long as he's above the minimum.

Ian
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that we'd be declined based on that? because it was my understanding that as long as he met the requirement and had somewhere for us to live, which he does then we shouldn't have a problem. I thought the requirement was nearly 20k so 23/24k per year should get us accepted, right?
No not at all. Ian is correct at that level obtaining the visa will not be a problem, at least not for reasons of low income or lack of somewhere to live.

My point was that the US is a very bad place to be poor, very bad indeed, not that there is a "good" place to be poor, of course. But there is very little by way of a safety net for those on low income, and even basic healthcare costs real money. Cheap housing is often in the most dangerous parts of town, where almost all the shooting deaths connected to drugs and other criminal activity take place.

Just think carefully about what sort of domestic situation you are getting yourself into.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 9th 2015 at 3:34 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Just think carefully about what sort of domestic situation you are getting yourself into.

Nothing wrong with expressing a little caution/concern now and again.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

What State does he live in? 25k in NYC is very different to 25k somewhere else like the midwest or the south.

As a point of comparison according to the census, the median household income (which one can sometimes infer to mean two paychecks but not necessarily so) is around 50k.

Here is a link to the 2014 poverty guideline
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...orm/i-864p.pdf
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
What State does he live in? 25k in NYC is very different to 25k somewhere else like the midwest or the south.

As a point of comparison according to the census, the median household income (which one can sometimes infer to mean two paychecks but not necessarily so) is around $50k. ...
My early post was largely in the context of living in the rural South. Low cost housing down here is pretty dire, and not that cheap compared to the income levels of the poor. Of course living on $24k in a major city would be truely grim.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

BritishBeauty is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for the replies. I got a little confused but trust me, I am very appreciative of the care you guys are showing me. He lives in Mississippi. He has a lot of family too that would help us if we was ever stuck. I know it's not right to rely on family but hopefully it will not come to that.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 6:28 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies. I got a little confused but trust me, I am very appreciative of the care you guys are showing me. He lives in Mississippi. ....
Well by reputation that has the lowest cost of living of any state in the US. Some of its services are pretty basic though, for example it had a notorious shortage of prenatal medical care facilities a few years ago. The housing stock is also fairly poor at the lower-mid to low end, with about 1 in 7 homes in MS being trailers.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 9th 2015 at 6:32 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for the replies. I got a little confused but trust me, I am very appreciative of the care you guys are showing me. He lives in Mississippi. He has a lot of family too that would help us if we was ever stuck. I know it's not right to rely on family but hopefully it will not come to that.
A quick google tells me the median household income in Mississippi is only around $37k.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Manjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

Wow, where the hell are people getting off telling a young woman who's in love and wants to get married that her fiance is unable to provide for her and she's destined for a life of poverty? Mind your own business, you have no idea about the situation beyond his earnings for the last year. Perhaps he has savings, perhaps he has a house he inherited, perhaps she is going to work full-time too and together they'll be bringing in plenty of money between the two of them?

I am honestly flabbergasted that people are so rude as to tell a stranger they shouldn't attempt to move to live with the person they love because they aren't wealthy enough to do so. Are only the rich allowed to love now?
Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

What's the phrase?

Oh yes, 'Comprehension Fail'

Welcome to BE

(Next he'll be saying it's damned outrageous for anyone to ask an opinion...)

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 9th 2015 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

Originally Posted by Hotscot
What's the phrase?

Oh yes, 'Comprehension Fail'
Considering you think saying "With all due respect, not being judgemental, not that there's anything wrong with that" around words that mean "Your boyfriend sounds like a loser and you seem like a panicky idiot who is going to end up living on the streets, you pair of worthless plebs" makes everything polite and above board, I think you're the one with the comprehension issue my good man.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're the only one who said this.

"Your boyfriend sounds like a loser and you seem like a panicky idiot who is going to end up living on the streets, you pair of worthless plebs"

I'd hazard a guess you're not very experienced with the US?

(It's controversial I know but we tend to indulge in free speech and opinion here.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 9th 2015 at 10:17 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Well my opinion is that it was very rude of you to launch into harsh advice like that uninvited, and I am using my freedom of speech to let you know about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.