Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:38 am
Just Joined

BritishBeauty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

My fiance has asked me to ask you guys and girls a question regarding what he gets paid.

He is self employed and one week he may earn $300 but the next week he may earn $700. By the end of the year he would have met the requirement. He just works different hours from one week to the next. The tax return will confirm that he has met the requirement of the income at the end of the year. His bank statements will obviously show that he gets paid different amounts each week. Will this be okay?
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

Ok for who? The IRS? They don't have any say on how someone is paid.

I'm in the same boat regarding income unpredictability.

Just curious though...did he form a company or just freelances?
(I checked your post..painter etc...there may be deductions he can take for being self employed.)

And what do you mean meets the requirement of the income? As long as it's above board and properly recorded/declared he's fine.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 9th 2015 at 1:45 am.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:49 am
Just Joined

We are just worried that when we send off our K1 Visa, they will see the bank statements showing different amounts each month and possibly decline it. Plus, when he earns around $700 some weeks, he will take $300 dollars out to keep on him for food, gas etc. We are just worrying lol.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:50 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

She's thinking about sponsorship for spouse visa, I think.

Last edited by RICH; Jan 9th 2015 at 1:52 am. Reason: or fiancee visa!
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:55 am
Just Joined

No, i do apologize. We are applying for the K1 Visa.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect..not being judgmental here...can you actually afford to be together in the US?
Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like your boyfriend isn't paid very much? And money worries can obviously be very stressful. (For example does he currently pay for health insurance?)

Do you have transferable skills and hope to find a productive job? You tend to sound a wee bit panicky in your posts; that's no criticism. But if you're worried about filling the financial requirements that could suggest your close to the poverty level. (Maybe not...just thinking out loud.)

(I only ask this as I'm particularly interested in financial/career matters.)
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:05 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I can't recall what the required level of income is, but he needs to provide recent tax returns and recent payslips or receipts. If the amount he shows is below the requirement, he needs an additional sponsor to make up the difference. Any willing US citizen will do, I believe.

Weekly variations in pay are not a showstopper, the total picture is what counts. (Who of us knows for sure if we will earn the same next week as last week?)
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I certainly don't...but I get by...
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:21 am
Just Joined

My boyfriend is paid roughly around $2000 per month which is enough I believe for the income requirement. (He is paid weekly and as I stated, one week he would earn $300 and the next $700 as his hours vary)

At the end of the year, he makes around $23/24k.

My concern here is that we may be declined because he sometimes only get $300 some weeks but $700 the next.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good luck. Not being judgmental but that's...tough..very...

At least find out if he has health insurance. Priority.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishBeauty
My boyfriend is paid roughly around $2000 per month which is enough I believe for the income requirement. (He is paid weekly and as I stated, one week he would earn $300 and the next $700 as his hours vary)

At the end of the year, he makes around $23/24k.

My concern here is that we may be declined because he sometimes only get $300 some weeks but $700 the next.
With all due respect, $23-$24k is borderline poverty, even if he lives in a low-cost part of the country. Pretty basic housing (small, older home) in a low cost area is going to start at around $500, but in a larger city you'd be looking at some pretty dubious apartments for that much, or more. Then depending on the need for heating or AC, is going to have utility bills of as much as half that ($250) for much of the year, so that's about 40% of his income gone before you've started on food, clothing, car, and healthcare.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income/Salary Question for I-134 / I-864

My fiance has asked me to ask you guys and girls a question regarding what he gets paid.

He is self employed and one week he may earn $300 but the next week he may earn $700. By the end of the year he would have met the requirement. He just works different hours from one week to the next. The tax return will confirm that he has met the requirement of the income at the end of the year. His bank statements will obviously show that he gets paid different amounts each week. Will this be okay?
Yes.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
With all due respect, $23-$24k is borderline poverty, even if he lives in a low-cost part of the country. Pretty basic housing (small, older home) in a low cost area is going to start at around $500, but in a larger city you'd be looking at some pretty dubious apartments for that much, or more. Then depending on the need for heating or AC, is going to have utility bills of as much as half that ($250) for much of the year, so that's about 40% of his income gone before you've started on food, clothing, car, and healthcare.
Are you saying that we'd be declined based on that? because it was my understanding that as long as he met the requirement and had somewhere for us to live, which he does then we shouldn't have a problem. I thought the requirement was nearly 20k so 23/24k per year should get us accepted, right?
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You sound nice...I guess some of us are just concerned about how your life will be on/near the poverty level..that's all..

Apologies if that's too personal.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that we'd be declined based on that? because it was my understanding that as long as he met the requirement and had somewhere for us to live, which he does then we shouldn't have a problem. I thought the requirement was nearly 20k so 23/24k per year should get us accepted, right?
You are correct. If it's just the two of you, the visa won't be denied if his income is above the minimum poverty level.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.