Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I130 approved, question about visiting UK

I130 approved, question about visiting UK

Old Jul 4th 2019, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Blanca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I130 approved, question about visiting UK

Hello everyone. This is my first post here and I have been waiting to be able to start asking questions (was waiting for our I130 approval for 7 long months) so now finally I am happy I can start asking therefore could you please tell me if it's ok for my husband who is US citizen to come to the UK for a few months (2-3) while we are going to be taking next steps during our CR1 journey. We just got the I130 approved and now have to wait for our case to go to NVC and then here to London. We are thinking to spend 2-3 months together in the UK living in my house. My husband has got remote job so he can work from anywhere in the world. Please advise.

Last edited by Blanca; Jul 4th 2019 at 2:14 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 6:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I130 approved, question about visiting UK

You and your husband are allowed to visit each other during the visa process.

He may be able to work remotely with ease, but my guess is that he won't be allowed to work in the UK as a visitor, even for his US employer (just like UKC's aren't allowed to work in the USA without the appropriate visa).

So yes, he can visit, but he can't work.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2019, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Rene.
He actually is his own employer really, has his own business, so works for himself now. Is there a maximum time that US citizen can spend in the UK during our CR1 process? I mean does he have to be physically present in the US for most of the time from now till the end of the process? Would it affect our visa application if for example: he decides to stay in the UK for more than 2-3 months? (I know it's up to 6 months for the visitors).
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

His being in the UK has no bearing your CR-1 visa petition/process. He can stay in the UK for the legal amount of time that the UK allows USC to visit.

Since he can't work while visiting you, do you have a joint sponsor for the I-864 affidavit of support in case he does not make enough to successfully qualify alone for the I-864?
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

I guess his mom or brother could be a joint sponsor in case he does not make enough to successfully qualify alone for the I-864? Correct me if I am wrong
Old Jul 5th 2019, 12:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can use a joint sponsor. The main question is he ok staying in the UK three or more months without working? It doesn't matter that he owns his own company and is self-employed, he still can't do his work inside the UK.

Rene
Old Jul 6th 2019, 2:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blanca
I guess his mom or brother could be a joint sponsor in case he does not make enough to successfully qualify alone for the I-864? Correct me if I am wrong
Please do not take this offensively. Many think "Oh, we don't have to worry, one of the relatives of the USC spouse will be happy to be my joint financial sponsor." Many times, this does not happen.

Once the sponsor finds out what they are possibly on the financial hook for and the length of time, they drop off the face of the earth. I can't blame them, honestly. It is a big undertaking with some hefty financial repercussions if the federal and/or state government comes after them for restitution of means tested benefits received by the foreign spouse before the I-864 has been terminated. I will tell you that as a mother, I would never be a joint sponsor of a foreign love interest or spouse of either of my children. If they are too poor to meet the 125% of the poverty guidelines, then they are too poor to marry.