I-864 Quick question

Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

DanielJ1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Quick question

Good afternoon everyone,

I was hoping I would be able to get through the whole process without having to ask a question and just read everyone else experiences but here we are!

I'm the UK citizen and my Wife is the US citizen, we married two and a half years ago and shes been living in England for a little over two years. We started filing our I-130 paperwork in January and have got all through that, I had my medical in Knightsbridge a couple of weeks ago and that all went well. I'm now gathering all the documents for the interview stage and the I-864 form is slightly confusing me.

From what I understand my wife needs to fill out one of these forms regardless that she hasn't been earning any money in the US? So my mother in law is going to sponsor me, my question is does she have to fill out a separate I-864 or do they both fill out the same one?
(Ever since searching these forums for answers related to this, we have realised my wife needs to file her taxes for the time she's lived here also. Is there any user friendly sites for filing taxes from another country?)

Any answers would be greatly appreciated
Daniel
Old Jun 18th 2019, 3:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Quick question

Your wife is your sponsor even if she doesn't meet the financial requirements, so she completes an I-864 (she should list her UK income, if she has any).

Your MIL is a joint sponsor, she will complete a separate I-864 package, including everything required (tax transcripts, proof of US citizenship, etc.

Tax filing questions should be posted in the main USA forum.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2019, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife will complete one I-864 and your MIL will complete a separate I-864. Your MIL will need to show that she can support her family plus you. She does not have to include your wife.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

DanielJ1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for the quick replies! We have sent the tax returns off for my wife (Phew)

Is there any way I can just use my mother in laws I-864? Seeing as though she is the one that is financially sponsoring me anyway, the reason I ask is because it could take up to 8-12 weeks for the tax transcripts to come back and I really would like to get the interview out of the way.

Or because my wife is the petitioner does she HAVE to do one?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks
Daniel
Old Jul 8th 2019, 4:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife MUST complete and submit an I-864.

Your MIL cannot be your sole sponsor, she can only be a joint sponsor.

Rene