Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

i think i have a prob with my G/C

i think i have a prob with my G/C

Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i think i have a prob with my G/C

Originally Posted by MyGreenCard
Im thinking that perhaps the best thing to do is just re-nounce the G/card and go for a 6 month visit for the winters....any suggestions on what other remifications could be entailed by just turning it in or is that step too early?
The max amount of time you can stay in the US as a visitor is 90 days, not 6months.

If I were you, I'd wait and see what my attorney suggests next before doing anything drastic like giving up your green card.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
The max amount of time you can stay in the US as a visitor is 90 days, not 6months.

If I were you, I'd wait and see what my attorney suggests next before doing anything drastic like giving up your green card.
B visa - up to six months.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
B visa - up to six months.
B visa - up to one year actually.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Whoopsie! My bad - sorry!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
But not in practice
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:34 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
But not in practice
Unless you're an unmarried partner of certain non-immigrant visas accompanying your significant other.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:36 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Unless you're an unmarried partner of certain non-immigrant visas accompanying your significant other.
who had previously lived together and were keeping the property

The numbers are going down ...
Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:12 am
Just Joined

MyGreenCard is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone,I get the drift.So I would basically send my G/card back to the embassy and then apply for a B visa? and spend up to 6 months in Florida?it sounds to easy,any thing I need to look out for?
Thankyou all.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:23 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone,I get the drift.So I would basically send my G/card back to the embassy and then apply for a B visa? and spend up to 6 months in Florida?it sounds to easy,any thing I need to look out for?
Thankyou all.
You don't just send it to them. The card is just a card. There are steps to get rid of the status. You have to complete a Form I-407.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/uscis/abandon.html

I'd suggest that you complete the I-407 and bring it to a B visa interview instead of mailing it.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So I would basically send my G/card back to the embassy and then apply for a B visa?
Okay... my last thoughts on the subject...

Why are you so eager to abandon your status? Why not book a flight to the US departing from... say, Shannon and see if you are allowed to preclear US immigration using your GC. If you are, it's valid... and off you go (and when you get to the US, you file for renewal and/or naturalization). If you aren't, well... it's a short trip back home *and* you'll know where you stand with respect to your status. At that point, you should file an SB-1... yes, even though your lawyer (who is clearly an idiot) suggested against it. If you do file an SB-1, I suggest you get a new attorney.

Ian
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:34 am
Just Joined

thankyou crg14624
and Ian.
I am seriously considering doing what Ian suggests.

Q,If I go to shannon and they pull me up will they be able to confiscate G/card and what else could they do?

Q,I notice that there are various airports in the U.S that you can land in if you leave from Shannon...based on my circumstances are any of them safer that the others.?

Ian, are you saying that by clearing immigration at Shannon I will NOT be subjected to immigration at the U.S POE?....I just walk off the plane?
Thanking you in advance.
Steve.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Q,If I go to shannon and they pull me up will they be able to confiscate G/card and what else could they do?
Can they? Probably. Will they? Unclear... especially if you mention that you need your expired GC to apply for renewal.

Ian, are you saying that by clearing immigration at Shannon I will NOT be subjected to immigration at the U.S POE?....I just walk off the plane?
Yes, that's exactly right. Good luck.

Ian
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:06 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Even if they blindly admit you, it may not be a lawful admission. There is a removal ground for being inadmissible at the time of entry. I don't know how often it is pursued in cases like this.

Whatever you do, don't lie to them at the border. That could lead to not having the green card, and not even being allowed to visit. The length of time out of the US is a material fact for an LPR.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I would follow Ian's advice, it's really worth a try and if you are considering giving up your permanent resident status anyway, really what have you got to lose?

We cleared Immigration in Canada last year and walked off the plane in Atlanta, It's just the same doing it via Shannon or Dublin, if you're cleared there you're on your way. You will have to clear customs once you land in the USA, but that won't affect your issues with your immigration status.

Aer Lingus have fares next week from £440 return including taxes..............
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

a feather in the cap for Ian.
I told my immigration guy of your suggestion Ian and I have copied his reply below.

Dear Steve,

That sounds like a good idea to go through the preboarding inspection. I
double checked, and there is preboard inspection available in Dublin and
Shannon:

Ireland
U.S. Customs & Border Protection
c/o Aer-Rianta
Shannon Airport
Shannon, County Clare, Ireland
Port Director
Phone: 011-353-6147-2297

U.S. Customs & Border Protection
Dublin International Airport
Pier B
Dubland, Ireland
Port Director
Phone: 011-353-1814-4818

Thankyou Ian.
Steve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.