Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-94 work authorization????? Does he actually have it??

I-94 work authorization????? Does he actually have it??

Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

saidsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-94 work authorization????? Does he actually have it??

Good Morning....

Yesterday morning I asked to see Said's visa and I noticed a white piece of paper in the passport that is stapled in there. When I flipped it over, there is a red stamp that says "work authorized" and the date is then written in in pen.

Is this the temporary EAD? Does this give him permission to work for 90 days, until we do the adjusting of status, etc?

Peace & sunshine,
~k
Old Jan 4th 2004, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-94 work authorization????? Does he actually have it??

Sure it is. But its no point also if he doesn't have SS#.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by saidsgirl
Good Morning....

Yesterday morning I asked to see Said's visa and I noticed a white piece of paper in the passport that is stapled in there. When I flipped it over, there is a red stamp that says "work authorized" and the date is then written in in pen.

Is this the temporary EAD? Does this give him permission to work for 90 days, until we do the adjusting of status, etc?

Peace & sunshine,
~k
Yes it is, and yes it does. This is what Dekkie received when he went through JFK, and it was accepted by his employer (along with, of course, his social security number when he received it). It is good until the expiration date written next to it (which should have been 90 days).
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
Yes it is, and yes it does. This is what Dekkie received when he went through JFK, and it was accepted by his employer (along with, of course, his social security number when he received it). It is good until the expiration date written next to it (which should have been 90 days).
The only date written there is 1/1/04.
Can we apply for his SS # before we are married? Say can we go there on Monday and apply for it? Do we simply take his passport?

Thanks!
~k
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can we apply for his SS # before we are married? Say can we go there on Monday and apply for it? Do we simply take his passport?

Thanks!
~k
Hi Kristine! Congratulations to Said on getting that stamp! :-) From what I understand, he can get a SS number before you get married, but you might want to wait a couple of weeks until he gets into the SAVE system (the database which SS looks under to get Said's information from BCIS). Also, there is a memo that the SS office has out there which might be helpful to print out and bring in with you, in case you get a SS worker who isn't aware of all the rules. I don't have the link handy, but do a search on here for posts by Michael D. Young. He has provided a link to that SS memo several times.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :-)
Rene
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:19 pm
Kae
Forum Regular

Kae is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!
~k

You can get his SSN before you are married. We got my fiance's number a short time after he arrived and are getting married this Tuesday. We weren't given any hassle what so ever.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

and download the SS5 form at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point

Applying SS# will be a different experience to individual. Either you will get it within 2 weeks or even until 3 months!!! So if you're lucky, you will get it by 14 days. If not, be prepared to wait up to 3 months.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:57 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning....

Peace & sunshine,
~k
Yay congrats on getting the stamp!!
Are you still on cloud 9? I bet so, I know Said arrived only a few days ago.. but how does he like his new enviroment??

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Jan 4th 2004 at 4:00 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Yay congrats on getting the stamp!!
Are you still on cloud 9? I bet so, I know Said arrived only a few days ago.. but how does he like his new enviroment??
I think it'd be sufficient to say...very happy... and overwhelmed. He's still got so much to see and experience here.

Thanks for the info about the SSN...and ray6, thanks for the links.

Peace,
~k
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I think it'd be sufficient to say...very happy... and overwhelmed. He's still got so much to see and experience here.
Thanks for the info about the SSN...and ray6, thanks for the links.
Peace,
~k
Give him the best Florida can offer ...A big box of Krispy Kreme's
Old Jan 5th 2004, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ray6
Give him the best Florida can offer ...A big box of Krispy Kreme's
HA!
Krispy Kremes would surely be good! I've already informed him that he needs some fattening up, so those would do rather nicely!!

Take care...
~k