Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-864 Affidavit of support (from London)

I-864 Affidavit of support (from London)

Old Dec 4th 2018, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

ledrox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 Affidavit of support (from London)

Hi
I was wondering if you were able to advise on the following:
(i) I am filling the i864 form and I have read on the instructions doc that I could use the beneficiary (intending immigrant) income if this will continue from the same source in the USA. The company I currently work for is offering a transfer although I will need to resign here and be rehired in the US. Do you think an offer letter from US Human Resources and a financial letter from UK human resources stating my current income will be sufficient?
(ii) the petitioner was able to collect tax return including 1040 etc although this does not include W-2 because the only income was from interest. I must be overly safe but should we include a statement letter saying this?
Thanks
Led
Old Dec 4th 2018, 8:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 Affidavit of support (from London)

I. Maybe, maybe not. Something like this will be up to the interviewing officer to decide. If you go this route, bring along a joint sponsor I-864 package just in case the Officer says no to your scenario. The problem I see is that it isn't really a transfer, it's a new position in the USA (just an offer letter).

2. There should be a 1099 form indicating interest income. Or you could use IRS tax transcrpts instead of a photocopy of the return.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2018, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks you!
I. Good point. I am rather to be safe than sorry so I will use a co sponsor too

II.1 The petitioner does not have a US mobile number or US credit cart etc so we can't create a new account with IRS and ordering a paper transcript will probably take too long (we have the interview in few weeks). We have got tax returns (although I need to find 1099-Int form somewhere - maybe bank?)
II.2 Co sponsor makes most income from annuity/retirement so I believe we need to get 1099-R maybe from opm.gov website?
Thanks
Led
Old Dec 4th 2018, 2:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

II.1. The IRS transcrpts are free and I believe they can be faxed to you. Look at www.irs.gov.

II.2. The joint sponsor (not co-sponsor) will send you everything that's needed, you don't have to look for anything yourself.

Rene
Old Dec 21st 2018, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

klawrence is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there- I'm starting the process right now for my husband (UK citizen). Hoping to submit the I-130 within the next two weeks. I'm in your same position in regards to UK and US employment. I was originally working for my company in the US, transferred to the UK, met husband, converted to be a UK permanent employee and was granted a UK spousal visa. I have been told by my company that they'll support my move back home, but I also need to resign from the UK and be rehired as a US employee (details all TBD). Did you end up using a co-sponsor or did you have a letter from HR stating your situation? In regards to "intended address" on the I-130, did you have one already when you sent in your paper work? We only know the city we'll live in. My employer will likely arrange temporary housing, but not confirmed yet. Thank you!
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 1:39 am

Klawrence,

The question about your address was answered in your other thread.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by klawrence
Hi there- I'm starting the process right now for my husband (UK citizen). Hoping to submit the I-130 within the next two weeks. I'm in your same position in regards to UK and US employment. I was originally working for my company in the US, transferred to the UK, met husband, converted to be a UK permanent employee and was granted a UK spousal visa. I have been told by my company that they'll support my move back home, but I also need to resign from the UK and be rehired as a US employee (details all TBD). Did you end up using a co-sponsor or did you have a letter from HR stating your situation? In regards to "intended address" on the I-130, did you have one already when you sent in your paper work? We only know the city we'll live in. My employer will likely arrange temporary housing, but not confirmed yet. Thank you!
Hi
note - I am getting transferred (the intending immigrant) and my wife is the US petitioner. In your case it seems you (US citizen?) are getting a transferred and your husband (UK citizen) is the beneficiary. If you don't make enough income (UK income), you need a joint sponsors. If your husband is getting transferred too you can use his income.

(i) I had my interview few days ago (visa was approved) and when they saw my wife's tax return they ask me for a joint sponsor (which I had). However, when they noticed on the affidavit of support form (I-864) that I already had a job in the US they said 'hold on, do you have letter from you employer?' I provided 2 letters which were considered to be enough evidence:
letter 1 - financial letter from HR stating my current UK income, years of employment etc printed on common company template (so with company name, address, etc)
letter 2 - offer of employment stating the new salary, transfer details, starting date etc printed on common company template too. Make sure the name of the company (source of income) on both letters match.
To be safe, bring along at the interview stage an affidavit of support using a joint sponsor too, although this might be not required like in my case

(ii) intended address - I used my mother in law address for now since I don't know yet my new US house address.

I-130 - top tip. Don't forget to put NA in the form where not applicable. It costed me a month delay.
Timeline from start to end 6 months
Led

Last edited by ledrox; Dec 22nd 2018 at 4:58 am.